Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Bodyguard 380? Opinions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/bodyguard-380-opinions-69136/)

Rockjeep94 07-28-2012 04:41 AM

Bodyguard 380? Opinions

I bought my wife a walther p22 (in digi camo pink of course lol) now she wants something bigger. Opinions on the bodyguard 380? She wants it for personal carry, and average shooting every once in awhile... Good reliable gun? Or go another route?

sputnik1988 07-28-2012 04:46 AM

My GF has one...
(Waaay too)Looong HEAVY AS HECK DAO trigger and inaccuate at even the closest ranges. it's reliable though.

I could think of many, many better options. Plus 380 ammo is expensive, I agree with Silverado, look at 9mm also.

Ruger LCP
Ruger LC9
Kel tec PF9
Sig P238
Sig P839

silverado113 07-28-2012 04:47 AM

Why not go 9mm?

rhyno13 07-28-2012 05:04 AM

Personally I think a .380 is too small for a self defense weapon. 9mm is the very least I would choose. I carry a .45

Tackleberry1 07-28-2012 05:06 AM

Why are you considering a mouse gun for a woman...

Judging by your avatar, you own an XD and a Sig so I know you've got something on the ball. :)

Newsflash - Pocket Pistol are:

Notoriously difficult to shoot
Have terrible triggers
Are too small to hold properly
Have brutal recoil
Are chambered for expensive and innefective rounds
Are meant for pocket carry

When was the last time you saw your wife in a pair of pants that could hide a tampon...let alone a fire arm? :rolleyes:

Sorry if I sound harsh but I'm getting tired of explaining that little guns are not designed for little inexperienced shooters.

Pocket guns ARE designed as BUG's for highly skilled men who wear pants loose enough to ACTUALLY conceal them!

Get her a mid to full size 9 mm.

Tack

Rockjeep94 07-28-2012 05:19 AM

She has read some stories of 9mm and thinks it is to high a velocity. She thinks it has to great of a chance of secondary damage if a situation ever came up. one of her old neighbors shot at an intruder it went through the burgler througj the walls and into the house across the street. Ive told her thats what the shotguns are for (home defense) and that a public altercation would likely be when no one else is around but she still thinks 380 is her best choice. I want her to carry high standard 1911 but she says no way :)

Tackleberry1 07-28-2012 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockjeep94 (Post 884737)
She has read some stories of 9mm and thinks it is to high a velocity. She thinks it has to great of a chance of secondary damage if a situation ever came up. one of her old neighbors shot at an intruder it went through the burgler througj the walls and into the house across the street. Ive told her thats what the shotguns are for (home defense) and that a public altercation would likely be when no one else is around but she still thinks 380 is her best choice. I want her to carry high standard 1911 but she says no way :)

You can lead the horse to water but you can't make it drink...

If she is stuck on 380 I'd suggest one of the larger all metal guns like the Bersa.

I've personally never fired one but they do have a strong following here with good reviews from knowledgable members...and there cheap, "inexpensive". :)

Tack

sputnik1988 07-28-2012 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockjeep94 (Post 884737)

There is very little difference between 380 and 9mm as far as penetration goes and the use of JHPs lowers the chances even more. She will be much more accurate with the bigger handgun , a stray 380 is much more likely to cause harm to a bystander than a center mass hit with a 9mm.

JeeperSC 07-29-2012 01:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a bodyguard .380 and love it. It's purpose is a back up gun to my 40cal glock. I carry it as a back up at work, and it's my conceal carry when I am off.
I can't believe people describe it as 'long and heavy'! It's very small, slim, lite, and comfortable to carry. like any tiny pocket pistol, it's not accurate from a distance. But for what it is, it shoots pretty smooth.

Attachment 52777

This is it next to a Glock .23 which is the 'mid sized' 40cal. It makes the glock look huge. Even next to the s&w .38 special which is another 'pocket pistol' revolver I used to carry.

MPsteelshooter87 07-31-2012 05:36 AM

Im with tackleberry get her a bersa thunder they are all metal alittle easyer to hold on to and the recoil isnt that bad i love mine and it hasnt failed me yet but i dont carry it on a regular basis it usually hide in my truck or somewhere in the house as a back up