Bodyguard 380
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Bodyguard 380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 03:27 AM   #1
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1332 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Default Bodyguard 380

My wife currently has a Taurus TCP 380 and she is pretty good at it, however I am thinking her reaction to a self defense situation will be different, which brings me to this question?

I was thinking of getting my wife the Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 380 because of the built on laser, I'm not a fan of the laser and for myself, I would not use one, but for my wife, if it would give her that extra little assistance in the need of a self defense situation.

What are the thoughts out there on this one, have her stick with the Taurus TCP 380 which she shoots well, or buy her the Bodyguard 380 which has a light for that situation where a little extra assistance can help her?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2012, 03:48 AM   #2

I had the BG380 for a week and took shooting once. It sucked. The laser is a pain to activate. The trigger is horrible and take down is crappy. Better of sticking with the Taurus even though I have never shot one of those.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #3

Never shot the TCp laser. What i do with my wife is i get her to practice with my guns. If she can shoot somebody with the good old iron sights she will be able to hit them with anything. If something does happen( woman most of all) it will be over before you know it. Get her comfortable with a gun. If she is good at it and quick/comfortable she will be fine in any situation. I carry a Bersa .380. My wife knows it and would be able to squueze one off in a a couple seconds. Knowledge is the key..

Old 03-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Agreed the trigger on the bodyguard is terrible. The ruger lcp is a great pistol with a nice flush side mount laser.

ic.jpeg  

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7813 Times on 4689 Posts
Likes Given: 9825

Personally, I don't think a laser is much help in a critical self defense situation. I think we all must practice point and shoot accuracy. In most situations, you aren't going to have much time to aim or use that laser. That's just my opinion.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

They are good for shooting from strange positions where aiming isn't an option but can help with fast acquisition.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:23 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Google "bodyguard 380 firing pin" before you buy.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2399 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 690

If you are in a critical situation, you probably wont have the time or the focus to turn on a laser. It needs to be grip activated. Copying the ads you see where people are scanning with the laser could get you arrested or shot. More important and mostly neglected is the ability to shoot accurately from an in tight position or literally from the hip. You can not nor do you want to extend into the 2 hand shooting position if the BG is too close. Here a laser can help but training is better and the laser can help you train.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:04 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just got my permit and also just got a BG380. Besides that I have a ISSC M22 Single Action. I am more accurate with the 22 than with the 380. I have really big hands so that adds to the situation.
Shooting one after the other is like night and day. I am not saying that the 380 sucks, it is just different. Please note that I live in MA and here the double action trigger must be at least 10lbs. It takes getting used to that trigger on the 380.
I have shot about 300rds through it since last Friday when I got it and have had no issues with it. I have shot both Federal and Remington (bulk) and it has functioned flawlessly. I have not even cleaned the thing plus my accuracy has improved greatly at about 30ft. (I am a rookie as well)
The comfort is not there, it is definitely a different monster that requires practice. As a CCW it is excellent for concealment. I carry mine with a pocket holster that looks like a wallet.
In the short period of time I have had it I have had no issues and it has fired every time. I have not yet adjusted the laser but I find that to be a commodity rather than a necessity. I feel I have to get proficient with the gun as is with its sights than to depend on some gizmo. It is true that the laser is a pain to activate. S&W has updated laser buttons for the newer editions and you can ask them to help upgrade an old one.
In my experience, it is a reliable device with a learning curve.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Having shot the BG380 I would never buy one because of the long trigger pull. Does any one know if the Ruger Lcp has this same problem? Thanks in advance.