Bird Shot IS NOT FOR SELF DEFENSE - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Bird Shot IS NOT FOR SELF DEFENSE

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 03:13 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

ANY kind of shotgun shell can be deadly. I've seen people shot and killed with all sorts of shotgun ammo from birdshot, buckshot and including slug rounds. Birdshot would not be my first choice for a defensive load but if it were all I had, I'd use it.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2738 Times on 1434 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Calling a .38 Spl shot shell "Bird Shot" is a bit of a stretch. I have shot hundreds of rats and snakes with such loads, but have never even considered them for birds. There is no where near enough of a payload to kill a sparrow reliably at 15 feet. You might as well carry the first two charging holes stoked with loud blanks for all the deterrrent effect you will get from a shot shell.

Remember, firearms are deadly weapons, period. Trying to use one in a less than deadly manner is a very bad idea. Get her a can of pepper spray for the less than lethal work. Shooting a person with any sort of projectile from a firearm IS deadly force and will be looked upon as shuch by most courts.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-30-2011, 09:36 PM   #23

Liked 1841 Times on 1027 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

I may catch a lot of flack for this statement...but here goes anyway.

If you are not able to take a life with a gun...you should not be planning on using it for self defense. You are better off not having a gun, than having it and not being able to pull the trigger. That is how people end up looking down the barrel of their own gun...after it has been taken away from them.

I am not saying that anyone should not have a range gun. I am saying that if you know you can't shoot someone, lock it up when not in use.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
If you are not able to take a life with a gun...you should not be planning on using it for self defense. You are better off not having a gun, than having it and not being able to pull the trigger. That is how people end up looking down the barrel of their own gun...after it has been taken away from them.
Amen!

And for the most recent posters to this thread, we're talking about shot shells or bird shot (whatever you want to call them) in a .38 spl. or .357 Mag. not in a 12/20 ga.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 05-30-2011, 09:51 PM   #25
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2561 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

I agree with Rick and Dillinger on some of the issues.
First of all if you shoot any bird shot at 15 feet! Try it! One hole in the target looks like a slug passed through. And number #2s or #4s are bad at close range. We use them on fox and coyotes in thick cover. Rick brought up the point that failure to be committed to use a weapon to protect you and your family is taboo. Might as well not have one. Hesitation equals the adversary will probably use your gun on you and your family. One other consideration in a home environment is over penetration should you miss or partially miss the target. A Wall or two usually will not stop projectiles. For example 00 Buck can penetrate 3 or so drywall walls as well as a pistol round. Which equates to entering a third room from the room the round is fired in. So maybe #2s or #4s would not be a bad choice. 7 & 8 maybe a slight bit light. But I sure wouldn't want shot with them in a hall or room. At close range the bad guy would probably die if hit in the right area. If not infection possibly would get him. Hard to remove a hundred plus lead projectiles.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:41 AM   #26

Birdshot in a pistol caliber is, I believe, #12 shot with an 1/8 oz...maybe. As stated earlier this is an excellent load for snakes at under 5 yards and ineffective at any longer ranges due to the quickly deteriorating shot pattern coming from a very short barrel so consider that in any SD application. I doubt that it would go through a thick leather jacket at 10 yards but I'm not willing to be a guinea pig. Your standard lead shot in a shotgun generally starts at #9 and gets bigger until you get to 00buck which is almost the same as a .32 caliber...I think there are only 8 projectiles. Shot charges range from 1/2 oz. to 2 oz. depending on gauge and length of the shell. Any #9 shot load from a .410 to 12 ga. will kill someone stone cold dead at 30 feet providing they are shot in the chest cavity. Use whatever you want...its your life.

NRA Member
Sustaining Member Southern Poverty Law Center
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero

Old 05-31-2011, 11:08 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Gotta love the advice you receive at the gunshop.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:08 PM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Calling a .38 Spl shot shell "Bird Shot" is a bit of a stretch. I have shot hundreds of rats and snakes with such loads, but have never even considered them for birds. There is no where near enough of a payload to kill a sparrow reliably at 15 feet. You might as well carry the first two charging holes stoked with loud blanks for all the deterrrent effect you will get from a shot shell.

Remember, firearms are deadly weapons, period. Trying to use one in a less than deadly manner is a very bad idea. Get her a can of pepper spray for the less than lethal work. Shooting a person with any sort of projectile from a firearm IS deadly force and will be looked upon as shuch by most courts.
Hey Robo,
I can go you one better than pepper spray, Wasp spray!
Effectively has a 20' range. Is available anywhere.
And it will deter a bear. Let alone a two legged varmint.
While the perp is rolling around, put a round (or a clip) in the head.

I advise that if deadly force is needed, be sure to apply it until any twitch is gone.
"I panicked and I kept pulling the trigger even after the gun was empty."

Old 06-19-2011, 01:06 AM   #29

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnypie View Post
I advise that if deadly force is needed, be sure to apply it until any twitch is gone.
"I panicked and I kept pulling the trigger even after the gun was empty."
Who are you quoting? What in the world are you talking about?

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-19-2011, 01:07 AM   #30

Liked 99 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
What? Birdshot was good enough for VP Cheney.
LOL you went there

But on another note ya bird shot to "warn" off a attacker is just dumb, if your going to shoot a BG put him down and dont have him take you to court for causing excessive pain and suffring, thats just dumb and if he is on drugs that bird shot may not be persuasive, while you may be scared to take a load to the chest he or she may not be, thats most likely the reason some ppl do dumb **** is because they are not thinking clearly, i dont recall hearing of a polite BG.

Closed Thread