Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Big CCW mistake (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/big-ccw-mistake-55991/)

texaswoodworker 01-21-2012 09:11 PM

Big CCW mistake

I was watching a little youtube today, and this video popped up.

Basically what it is, is a blank gun. (It took me until they showed the ammo to figure this out. I thought it was an actuall .22.) It fires 6mm blanks. (basically a .22)
My question is, why would someone carry one of these? It seems like a good way to get yourself killed. Is it because it is in Europe (and possibly in a anti gun country)?
My second question is, if you are going to make a blank gun, why make it in what is basically a .22? Why not just go ahead and beef it up to .357?
This just seems like a bad idea to carry this. Yeah, most of the time when you have to pull out your gun, the bag guy runs or gives up. But what it he doesn't? What if he decides he is going to chance it, or finds out that it is a blank gun?

wjnfirearms 01-21-2012 09:51 PM

I knew someone once that carried around a replica gun because he wasn't allowed to have a real one due to a conviction in his past. Real stupid. It goes way beyond just being a bad idea. It's a good way to get yourself killed in a real hurry. In some places, it actually is illegal to do.

If someone pulled what I found out to be a fake gun on me, I'd likely get it away from them and beat them with it just on general principles.

MrWray 01-22-2012 12:39 AM

In a real SD situation you only have a blink of an eye to make a decision.unless its a big yellow nerf gun,i dont think that you will have time to evaluate the difference

sweeper22 01-22-2012 01:23 AM

Warning: Hazardous Language and Reckless Gun Handling

Paladin201 01-22-2012 01:53 AM

A two bit punk looking to score some quick cash to feed his drug habit will take one look at a gun, any gun, and run like hell. A hard core gang banger, looking to prove something won't. Brandishing a toy, replica or blank firing gun is a good way to get dead.

dragunovsks 01-22-2012 02:08 AM

To my knowledge brandishing a toy gun (that looks real), an inert dummy gun or a blank firing gun is considered by law enforcement to be the same as brandishing a real firearm.

Ive heard of kids shooting pedestrians with paintball guns from cars and when caught were charged with a felony crime. They shot people at a bus stop with red paintballs and they thought they had been shot with a real gun.

JTJ 01-22-2012 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragunovsks (Post 684727)
To my knowledge brandishing a toy gun (that looks real), an inert dummy gun or a blank firing gun is considered by law enforcement to be the same as brandishing a real firearm.

Ive heard of kids shooting pedestrians with paintball guns from cars and when caught were charged with a felony crime. They shot people at a bus stop with red paintballs and they thought they had been shot with a real gun.

Those paint balls can hurt and along with red paint could cause a ccw holder to open fire. Freeze a paint ball and it can be deadly.

Chandler51 01-22-2012 03:13 AM

Has only been a couple of weeks since a 15 year old was shot dead by police while brandishing/pointing what turned out to be a pellet gun.

Can't expect that anybody will or won't know it isn't a firearm...good way to get killed.

trip286 01-22-2012 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandler51
Has only been a couple of weeks since a 15 year old was shot dead by police while brandishing/pointing what turned out to be a pellet gun.

Can't expect that anybody will or won't know it isn't a firearm...good way to get killed.

Wait, was that the 8th grader? That's the only one I remember recently.
15 years old and in the 8th grade implies other problems to me.

Chandler51 01-22-2012 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286

Wait, was that the 8th grader? That's the only one I remember recently.
15 years old and in the 8th grade implies other problems to me.

I don't know what grade he was in but yeah, if you can legally drive to school as a HS freshman...might be some issues. :)