BG has the drop on you, what next? - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > BG has the drop on you, what next?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 634 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota

Ummm... so... shoulder holster?
No...I keep my gun somewhere else.. :-).

Old 09-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #72

Liked 112 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post

You can't shoot him in the back, that's common sense. BUT you don't have to let him go in every state either. In Texas, Louisiana and Florida (I'm sure there's more as well) there is no problem with holding him at gun point until the police arrive. This is where I would factor in things like whether my family was around or not.
So are you saying you are going to chase him down with your gun drawn? That's dangerous as well. There was a cop in Toledo oh years ago chasing a teenager and the teen flipped the gun backwards while running and shot and killed the cop with one .38 to the chest. And he was an armed veteran of the force. As much as it would burn me up still the best thing to do would be to let him go once he runs away. Unless I was an off duty po.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #73
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
Let him have your stuff. It's replaceable. The BG does not want to shoot you or he would already.

Bunch of cowboy talk here. If the BG turns to leave he is no longer a threat. If you take a conceal carry course they will tell you let them go

I will say some of you strike me as 'cant wait for that excuse to use my gun' mentality. That's bad wiring in my book. Be prepared, yes. Spend your life looking around every corner? Eeek!
Chloe, i respect your reasoning and your opinion on this and in a way agree with you and believe that you're also right.

my main point is what if the BG is either unpredictable, strung out on dope, or decides after the fact, that he doesn't want any witness' to his criminal act?

the BG in many ways has already become a huge threat by just pointing agun at you. maybe, maybe not that he intends on pulling the trigger. getting your pistol into action may e the difference between being a survivor of the encounter or being a victim that shouldn't have been.

it's really not about being a cowboy, but a survivor of a violent encounter. it's not about wanting to take a life, even that of a BG, but the preparedness and the ability to take a life if placed into a situation that forces a person to take a life. the taking of a life, any life is a very serious matter to me, and by many of the posts on this thread, very serious to others as well. but, i would trade the BG's life formyself or my loved ones in defence, over that BG without second thought or hesitation.

when someone attempts to inflict violent acts upon you, they IMO have forfeited the right to fairness of play and need to learn to accept the fact that there are people out there who will put an end to their nefarious ways of life. they make choices and decisions everyday, just like everyone else. making bad choices and decisions sometimes leads to bad outcomes.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #74

Liked 112 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post
The first rule of CC is never be the aggressor. Your first instincts are correct. There is no shame in saving your life. But in your "scenario"...how the hell did you get into this situation in the first place? Did you go somewhere you wouldn't go if you weren't armed? Is this a home invasion?
You're over analyzing the question here. Its just a scenario where a bg has his gun drawn on you before you can draw yours on him. A bg might come at victims out and up already. I know with all the training and paranoia some of us can't imagine being taking by surprise. Sorry guys IT CAN HAPPEN!!! We are not perfect. I like all the different responses I see. Goes to show how different we are.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
True, but being behind something reduces his aiming area. It's called concealment when it isn't stout enough to stop a bullet.

Also if you can retreat to cover before arming yourself you gain an element of surprise.
that's exactly my point. any cover is better than no cover. it might or might not reduce the bullets impact energy as well. it might reduce it's power some.

pretty much, that it makes you a harder target to hit. it's hard to hit what you can't see.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #76
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2403 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones45

So are you saying you are going to chase him down with your gun drawn? That's dangerous as well. There was a cop in Toledo oh years ago chasing a teenager and the teen flipped the gun backwards while running and shot and killed the cop with one .38 to the chest. And he was an armed veteran of the force. As much as it would burn me up still the best thing to do would be to let him go once he runs away. Unless I was an off duty po.
I'm not saying that I would necessarily do things the way you've layed them out. I'm well aware of the dangers of a foot pursuit. I've ran behind 3 subjects 1 of who we knew was armed. It was a bad feeling but there weren't any other viable options at the time. No backup close by, no perimeter set, no IDs, and I had interrupted them in the process of committing a felony while armed and I considered them dangerous to the public.

Where any pursuit is involved you have to consider the danger to yourself and the others around you and whether the crime being committed is worth the risk of apprehension. This usually applies to law enforcement in a vehicle pursuit but there are some applications for foot pursuits as well.

Whether I would pursue them would probably depend on whether my family was around, what they had taken and whether they had hurt anyone in the process. But every scenario is different so I honestly don't know. Running with a gun in your hand is asking for a negligent discharge but depending on the threat level at the time and what kind of gun/holster i'm carrying, I may have to take that risk too.

The point I was making was that a private person does not legally HAVE to let someone walk (or run) away with their wallet in every state, which is what chloeshooter said.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Last edited by DeltaF; 09-02-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #77
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2047 Times on 1243 Posts
Likes Given: 2222

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
Let him have your stuff. It's replaceable. The BG does not want to shoot you or he would already.

Bunch of cowboy talk here. If the BG turns to leave he is no longer a threat. If you take a conceal carry course they will tell you let them go

I will say some of you strike me as 'cant wait for that excuse to use my gun' mentality. That's bad wiring in my book. Be prepared, yes. Spend your life looking around every corner? Eeek!
Being prepared to respond to a situation requires talking about that situation. What can be done, what should be done, how it should be done, what are the consequences of either choice (because there are consequences both ways). Talking about these things can sound like "cowboy talk".

I can't speak for anyone but myself. But my purpose in this kind of discussion is to learn about feasible actions and think through the problems BEFORE they occur. There is all too little time available at the point of attack. Preparation reduces your response time.

"Looking around every corner?" As much as possible, yes. The act of turning your head to look around you periodically is visible. It marks you as someone who pays attention. Someone who is not as easy a mark as the next person who is oblivious to their surroundings. That act probably prevents more attacks than concealed carry, open carry, nearby police, etc.

In fact, that act provides some protection for that next person if you're still in the area. The BG wants to act when he believes he has the best chance of avoiding detection. You paying attention to your surroundings, your presence in those surroundings, causes those surroundings to look like a bad situation to the BG. He'll probably wait for easier pickings.

I agree with your desire to avoid harming someone, I don't want to harm anyone either. Unfortunately the BG may not agree. Waiting and hoping that he won't hurt you is an option. Some of us (and a significant amount of statistical evidence) are suggesting that may not be the best option.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Last edited by Balota; 09-02-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #78
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55

that's exactly my point. any cover is better than no cover. it might or might not reduce the bullets impact energy as well. it might reduce it's power some.

pretty much, that it makes you a harder target to hit. it's hard to hit what you can't see.
It's concealment dangit! Cover stops bullets concealment hides you from the person shooting the bullets but doesn't stop them! :-P ;-)

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
It's concealment dangit! Cover stops bullets concealment hides you from the person shooting the bullets but doesn't stop them! :-P ;-)
you're right. i am using the word "cover" more as a generic term.

you are quite right. one only hides you, the other can or will stop a bullet, or most bullets.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #80
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55

you're right. i am using the word "cover" more as a generic term.

you are quite right. one only hides you, the other can or will stop a bullet, or most bullets.
LoL I figured you already knew. I'm just bored. Got tired of practicing on that buttcheek silhouette.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Last edited by DeltaF; 09-02-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This