BG has the drop on you, what next? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

BG has the drop on you, what next?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #21
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3361 Times on 2031 Posts
Likes Given: 3187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I believe everyone on this forum should be training for just this scenario. You should be well practiced at drawing from concealment and placing rounds on target within just a few seconds. Practiced self defense is not about standing behind a shooting table and shooting at paper plate sized targets 20 yards away. I do practice that way. But I also practice at 7 yards from the holster. Every concealed carry person should be doing that. The first time you do it should not be when someone is pointing a gun at you.
You might look into IDPA or one of the other shooting sports. Clubs typically meet one or more times per month for about 100 round matches. I just look at it as practice time. My times are rarely more than a few places above slowest (a lot of good shooters in my club!) But I get to practice drawing and firing, quickly and accurately, at least a couple times a month. And there's an objective measure of your progress.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #22

Liked 2181 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 1403

Axxe55, I don't disagree with anything you have said. This would be an ugly day. Know one knows exactly what would happen until the time comes. But I truly believe the best defense is an overwhelming offense.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
You might look into IDPA or one of the other shooting sports. Clubs typically meet one or more times per month for about 100 round matches. I just look at it as practice time. My times are rarely more than a few places above slowest (a lot of good shooters in my club!) But I get to practice drawing and firing, quickly and accurately, at least a couple times a month. And there's an objective measure of your progress.
Thanks Balota. I am a member. I just shot in the Colorado State Championship. I compete once a month and also practice by myself quite often. I believe this is about as good as it gets for practicing self defense. I would recommend everyone join. And it is a great place to meet other like minded people.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #24
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22315 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Axxe55, I don't disagree with anything you have said. This would be an ugly day. Know one knows exactly what would happen until the time comes. But I truly believe the best defense is an overwhelming offense.
i can agree with those comments.

but how to present that offence might be the key factor in surviving and whether we are alone or have others with us.

the reason for that statement is this, that a person has brought a weapon of some type and is intent on robbing you, that there is no reason to believe that even complying with his demands that they won't still attack you or your loved one simply because they believe that they hold the advantage.

the state of the attacker might also change how to present that offensive move as well. is he coherent? is he strung out on meth? is he calm?

just some things to reflect upon.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I believe that as long as you can make an effective first move faster than typical human reaction time (something like 0.5 to 1.0 seconds) you have a very good chance of successful defense. What happens after that also depends on training. The key is that the first move is effective within that time frame. Also, an effective move when you are alone could result in the gun pointing at a loved one when you aren't alone.

I also believe what Rick is saying, if you're going to fight, fight like you intend to win. Extreme violence is something society teaches us to avoid. That makes it difficult to defend yourself against someone who doesn't have those limitations. But if the BG has the gun pointed at you, you are justified in assuming he intends to kill you.

I've seen some of that Krav Maga stuff on videos. Looks pretty darn effective to me. Now if I can just survive the training...
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #26
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22315 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
I believe that as long as you can make an effective first move faster than typical human reaction time (something like 0.5 to 1.0 seconds) you have a very good chance of successful defense. What happens after that also depends on training. The key is that the first move is effective within that time frame. Also, an effective move when you are alone could result in the gun pointing at a loved one when you aren't alone.

I also believe what Rick is saying, if you're going to fight, fight like you intend to win. Extreme violence is something society teaches us to avoid. That makes it difficult to defend yourself against someone who doesn't have those limitations. But if the BG has the gun pointed at you, you are justified in assuming he intends to kill you.

I've seen some of that Krav Maga stuff on videos. Looks pretty darn effective to me. Now if I can just survive the training...
yes, we are pretty much taught not to escalate violence. and you are quite correct, that a BG isn't going to have those limitations.

as i was taught from an early age from my father, there is no such thing as a fair fight unless you are in the ring and there is a referee. everything else is about surviving the encounter any way that you can.

i woulduse any unfair tactic that ensured the safety of my loved ones or myself in an encounter with a BG. discretion, deception and distraction would be things to use.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

As would stomping his knee backwards, poking his eye out, etc.
People Like This 
Old 09-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #28

Quote:
As would stomping his knee backwards, poking his eye out, etc.
I am not above a knee to the groin either.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #29
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6827 Times on 3630 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones45 View Post
Murderers and thugs come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. I even know of a woman who did armed robbery. The character of people is all that matters. Just saying.
im just going by what our president says. its all about race... its trending that way more frequently since glorious leader decided to inject racism into a simple case of self defense.

anyway i know that criminals are all sorts from all races and are all bad.

pretty much none of them expect resistance. none of them have training of any sort and are in less of a position to actually fight back most of the time.

if they werent lazy cowards they wouldnt be out mugging raping robbing. 9 out of 10 times their complete lack of prepairedness and training and total lack of work ethic leaves them totally unprepaired for anyone who chooses to resist.

im not saying people dont get hurt or killed when they fight back but i believe the odds are far greater that you will survive if you resist. thugs expect cooperation and usually vapor lock when they dont get it because thats as far as their pea brains think into the future.

if a thug gang type HAD a work ethic they wouldnt be out robbing raping murdering and would have stayed in school and gotten an actual job...
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #30

When I was in high school there was a girl that was fighting with a guy. She kicked him in the groin. When he bent over she grabbed his hair and slammed her knee into his face. She retreated at that point. It was like something out of a movie. I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it.

A foot or knee to the groin can change things dramatically.
Axxe55 Likes This