BG has the drop on you, what next? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > BG has the drop on you, what next?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5631 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 371

The military teaches that the best tactic to over come an ambush when the enemy has every advantage and retreat or hold in place isn't an option is to attack.

In today's world of black racists killing people of all races not black out of racism and white brown yellow racists joining in on the murdering of innocent people because of boredom trusting your life to a guy who has so little regard for you as to take your property at gunpoint is fool hardy.

My theory is if I'm confronted like that I fight back hard and fast with full fury. If I die doing it at least I didn't die like a sheep. What YOU choose to do is your decision and you have to live or die with the decisions you make. No one else can decide for you

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 09-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 868 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 189

watch First Person Defender Series produced by Gun Talk
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLscB-49EdZcuKOrDogPOGkeTde5OqGTT3

Old 09-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i believe there are options and that every situation can be different.

lets place this in a little different scenario. what if in the same type of situation, and suprisingly confronted by a BG with a gun and you have your wife and your kids with you?

i think this changes the dynamic of the situation quite a bit. simply because a misfired round from the BG at you could hit your wife or your child. when alone, we might take a different approach and immediately decide that going to the gun is the best choice.

so in this situation, maybe temporary compliance until we can safely or discreetly present a firearm would be better in the interests of safety of our loved ones.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #14
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1920 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 2080

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
The military teaches that the best tactic to over come an ambush when the enemy has every advantage and retreat or hold in place isn't an option is to attack.

In today's world of black racists killing people of all races not black out of racism and white brown yellow racists joining in on the murdering of innocent people because of boredom trusting your life to a guy who has so little regard for you as to take your property at gunpoint is fool hardy.

My theory is if I'm confronted like that I fight back hard and fast with full fury. If I die doing it at least I didn't die like a sheep. What YOU choose to do is your decision and you have to live or die with the decisions you make. No one else can decide for you
This is an area where I'm lacking the training to effectively resist. I don't lack the desire to do so, and might die trying. I need to make time to get some actual training. Watching videos can plant an idea or two, but that's a far cry from actual physical contact.

Edit: By the way, it sucks being near 60 before deciding that this is necessary. Y'all young'uns need to get good training while you still have the agility, strength, etc. of youth.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Last edited by Balota; 09-01-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota
This is an area where I'm lacking the training to effectively resist. I don't lack the desire to do so, and might die trying. I need to make time to get some actual training. Watching videos can plant an idea or two, but that's a far cry from actual physical contact.

Edit: By the way, it sucks being near 60 before deciding that this is necessary. Y'all young'uns need to get good training while you still have the agility, strength, etc. of youth.
Check out a Krav Maga school. They're pretty common now and they teach some basic weapons disarming tactics that rely on gross motor skills instead of fine motor skills.

And in my experience Krav Maga instructors are usually more willing to teach you what you want to know for self defense rather than expect you to work your way up through the basic forms first.

Of course I'm no expert on the subject and there may be some super secret ninja on here who hates Krav Maga and knows something better. :shrug: I just know that they use a lot of the same disarming techniques that we're taught.

BTW If my family was around I wouldn't do anything different other than yelling at them to run when I threw my wallet or executed my strike. If anything I'd be more determined to take the guy out. I've actually had this conversation with my wife before, so she knows what to expect.

Also, to answer someone else's question, all law enforcement receive basic weapons retention and disarmament training. Not all of them learn it as well as they should or practice enough to become proficient with it but that's another issue altogether.

I've chosen to take some MMA, ground fighting and various martial arts classes over the years to keep myself in shape and learn new things. But that's a personal choice and I haven't learned anything "new" that id trust more than the basic weapons disarming techniques we're taught.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 09-01-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #16

Liked 112 Times on 84 Posts

Most criminals the trained Ccw or off duty po could probably overcome but there are some out there that will kill you for not following orders. I had a friend who left his wallet in his truck and went out to get it, then was surrounded by 2 armed thugs. He chose to give them what they wanted and he lived. Also there is a guy I know of who was shot while taking out the trash when he startled a criminal casing his place. I agree with doing things differently if my wife and kids are involved. Other than that I guess I just would calculate my chances and do what my instincts say. Its just not a good situation to be staring down a barrel of a gun.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #17

Liked 1834 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i believe there are options and that every situation can be different.

lets place this in a little different scenario. what if in the same type of situation, and suprisingly confronted by a BG with a gun and you have your wife and your kids with you?

i think this changes the dynamic of the situation quite a bit. simply because a misfired round from the BG at you could hit your wife or your child. when alone, we might take a different approach and immediately decide that going to the gun is the best choice.

so in this situation, maybe temporary compliance until we can safely or discreetly present a firearm would be better in the interests of safety of our loved ones.
Hey Axxe55 I understand your thinking. But at the same time, I would not wait until one of them has already been shot before I react. Then it is too late. I would try to look like I am complying. Maybe even try to look more scared than I really am. Act as though I am getting my wallet and BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG. I would keep shooting until I was certain my family was out of harms way.

Most criminals are not target shooters. I don't believe there are any competitive shooters out there robbing people. I think this would be over before he even realized I had a gun.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #18

Liked 1834 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

I believe everyone on this forum should be training for just this scenario. You should be well practiced at drawing from concealment and placing rounds on target within just a few seconds. Practiced self defense is not about standing behind a shooting table and shooting at paper plate sized targets 20 yards away. I do practice that way. But I also practice at 7 yards from the holster. Every concealed carry person should be doing that. The first time you do it should not be when someone is pointing a gun at you.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 09-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #19

Liked 112 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

Murderers and thugs come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. I even know of a woman who did armed robbery. The character of people is all that matters. Just saying.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #20
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Hey Axxe55 I understand your thinking. But at the same time, I would not wait until one of them has already been shot before I react. Then it is too late. I would try to look like I am complying. Maybe even try to look more scared than I really am. Act as though I am getting my wallet and BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG. I would keep shooting until I was certain my family was out of harms way.

Most criminals are not target shooters. I don't believe there are any competitive shooters out there robbing people. I think this would be over before he even realized I had a gun.
i think we can agree that the safety of your loved ones is priority first and foremost. i think that if we believe compliance will ensure their safety, that is the direction we will go. i know i would. not being hindered by innocent bystanders or loved one, a person's actions might be a bit more aggressive.

yes i agree that most criminals are not target shooters, but there is the chance of always that one misfired round that through bad luck hits a loved one or an innocent bystander.

i believe that suprise and discretion in presenting the firearm are a good tactic in overcoming the situation. distraction is something else that can be used. i believe in using whatever allows you to survive the encounter.