BG has the drop on you, what next? - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > BG has the drop on you, what next?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 113 Times on 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb522 View Post
I carry two wallets. One is my real one, the other is a dummy wallet. The dummy has some fake credit cards, gag cash, fake IDs and such. I'll toss the dummy with my left hand while the right is reaching for my Glock. I also have martial arts training, and practice on a regular basis.
Maybe i'll start carrying 2 guns, a real gun and a dummy gun so when the bg takes my fake he thinks im unarmed. Oh no he just took my real gun and now all I got is the dummy gun. Maybe this is not such a good idea with the firearms instead if the wallet, lol jk

Old 09-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post

Ehhhhh..not exactly. I was just wondering how the issue go to the point where I was staring down a barrel.
Are you serious or just picking at this thread? Think of any scenario of a bg having his gun pointed at you first. I know you got eyes in the back of your head and spider senses but just entertain the idea. I gotta hear what you would do. Oh wait that can't happen to you so you can't answer huh? Lol jk
Old 09-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #113

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

I think Axxe55 is right about cover. I would think that if a perp were going to shoot at someone - say hiding behind a stainless steel sink in a restaurant or half wall - and YOU stick your head/gun out the perp would tend to shoot at your head or gun. Im not convinced they would think that if they shoot through something they may hit you anyway.

As stated furniture doesnt stop much but it too can hide you (in the eyes of a perp) and they may feel they cannot hit something they cant see. And it gives you time to draw your weapon if you CC.

I cannot visualize myself attempting to pull a weapon if a perp has one pointed at my face or a loved one - unless not looking at me.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #114

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

I think a lot of members on here seem to have this miss interpretation of a perp with a gun as being an uneducated ape with a club. Some criminals actually have weapons training as well as actual fighting skills, scary I know but its a reality. You also have to think that they are willing and may have used the weapon in the past. If you are staring down the barrel and are not bleeding, more than likely they dont want to shot you but it doesn't mean he wont. Criminals are people and surviving a confrontation is paramount to them. Getting away alive is more important than getting your stuff.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #115
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2415 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRunner
I think a lot of members on here seem to have this miss interpretation of a perp with a gun as being an uneducated ape with a club. Some criminals actually have weapons training as well as actual fighting skills, scary I know but its a reality. You also have to think that they are willing and may have used the weapon in the past. If you are staring down the barrel and are not bleeding, more than likely they dont want to shot you but it doesn't mean he wont. Criminals are people and surviving a confrontation is paramount to them. Getting away alive is more important than getting your stuff.
This is one of the risks you have to take into consideration if you have make a decision to attempt to apprehend them or not. Do the risks justify the "reward?"

You're right, members on here think the large majority of criminals are "stupid." I've seen it posted on multiple threads on this forum. And they are wrong. Criminals usually aren't stupid. A lot of them don't think the way that most people think but that doesn't equal stupidity. Now obviously there are some major morons out there.

I heard a judge tell one total idiot (while giving him a maximum sentence) "you obviously need to find something else to do. Because you are a horrible burglar. You always get caught because you are BAD at it. Go get a real job when you get out this time."

But by and large, criminals represent a wide spectrum of the population at all education and income levels. Something to consider, if a criminal is willing to point a gun at you, there is a definite possibility that they've killed someone before. That makes them more psychologically prepared to pull the trigger on a human being than someone who hasn't.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Last edited by DeltaF; 09-03-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by \"GunRunner;1356688\"
I think a lot of members on here seem to have this miss interpretation of a perp with a gun as being an uneducated ape with a club. Some criminals actually have weapons training as well as actual fighting skills, scary I know but its a reality. You also have to think that they are willing and may have used the weapon in the past. If you are staring down the barrel and are not bleeding, more than likely they dont want to shot you but it doesn\'t mean he wont. Criminals are people and surviving a confrontation is paramount to them. Getting away alive is more important than getting your stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by \"DeltaF;1356694\"

This is one of the risks you have to take into consideration if you have make a decision to attempt to apprehend them or not. Do the risks justify the \"reward?\"

You\'re right, members on here think the large majority of criminals are \"stupid.\" I\'ve seen it posted on multiple threads on this forum. And they are wrong. Criminals usually aren\'t stupid. A lot of them don\'t think the way that most people think but that doesn\'t equal stupidity. Now obviously there are some major morons out there.

I heard a judge tell one total idiot (while giving him a maximum sentence) \"you obviously need to find something else to do. Because you are a horrible burglar. You always get caught because you are BAD at it. Go get a real job when you get out this time.\"

But by and large, criminals represent a wide spectrum of the population at all education and income levels. Something to consider, if a criminal is willing to point a gun at you, there is a definite possibility that they\'ve killed someone before. That makes them more psychologically prepared to pull the trigger on a human being than someone who hasn\'t.
Very true information here gentlemen. I knew a guy who grew up on a farm around all types of guns and could show anybody up with handguns/rifles/shotguns. For some odd reason he chose to be a criminal once he was good and grown. Part of it was the friends he chose but at the end of the day it was his decision. Now he is serving a 8 year sentence. He was not a bg you wanted to make a move on while he had his gun pointed at you. The idiot got caught by atm cameras recording him and friends robbing people. That was idiotic but he still was very skilled with firearms. I know most bg\'s aren\'t this skilled but you may be surprised at what people can do.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #117
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

IMO, criminals are stupid. they commit criminal acts instead of working a real job like a normal person. but stupid does not always mean unintelligent.

another point to consider is this, even if that Bg doesn't know a damn thing about firearms, has no weapons skills and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn at ten paces, does not mean, that if he puts enough rounds out that he can't get a lucky or unlucky hit upon you.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #118
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
IMO, criminals are stupid. they commit criminal acts instead of working a real job like a normal person. but stupid does not always mean unintelligent.

another point to consider is this, even if that Bg doesn't know a damn thing about firearms, has no weapons skills and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn at ten paces, does not mean, that if he puts enough rounds out that he can't get a lucky or unlucky hit upon you.
I get what you're saying. Generally when someone says "stupid" I take it that they mean that the other person is unintelligent though. And judging by the context of most of the posts I've seen I think when most people use it on this forum about criminals they mean that as well. I agree that it doesn't take weapons skills to drill somebody at point range if you "have the drop on them."

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Last edited by DeltaF; 09-03-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-04-2013, 02:07 AM   #119
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
I get what you're saying. Generally when someone says "stupid" I take it that they mean that the other person is unintelligent though. And judging by the context of most of the posts I've seen I think when most people use it on this forum about criminals they mean that as well. I agree that it doesn't take weapons skills to drill somebody at point range if you "have the drop on them."
exactly! then there is the "spray and pray" method of shooting. sometimes if you have enough lead flying, you're bound to hit something. then there is just plain blind luck.

plus you can't just assume because they are a criminal that they don't know how to shoot either.

i think using your best judgement and following your instincts and doing what you think is best to survive the encounter is the best course of action. if armed, ASAP, get your pistol into hand, even if the BG has left. what if he decides to return and cap you because he's decided he doesn't want any witness' because he doesn't want to go back to prison. i also think chasing after a BG is a bad idea. also ASAP call 911 and report it and give an accurate as possible description of the person. leave the immediate area if possible.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:11 AM   #120
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55

exactly! then there is the "spray and pray" method of shooting. sometimes if you have enough lead flying, you're bound to hit something. then there is just plain blind luck.

plus you can't just assume because they are a criminal that they don't know how to shoot either.

i think using your best judgement and following your instincts and doing what you think is best to survive the encounter is the best course of action. if armed, ASAP, get your pistol into hand, even if the BG has left. what if he decides to return and cap you because he's decided he doesn't want any witness' because he doesn't want to go back to prison. i also think chasing after a BG is a bad idea. also ASAP call 911 and report it and give an accurate as possible description of the person. leave the immediate area if possible.
If I think he's a genuine active threat still, maybe not to me but to others, or if he hurt anyone at all, I'd probably pursue. It's hard to say for sure, but I've done it in uniform for less. But then my family is safe at home, I have a radio, backup is coming, I am wearing body armor etc.

A lot goes into play when making that split second decision, or at least or should.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Last edited by DeltaF; 09-04-2013 at 02:17 AM.