Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   BG has the drop on you, what next? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/bg-has-drop-you-what-next-96353/)

jjones45 09-01-2013 06:00 AM

BG has the drop on you, what next?

Say a bad guy has the drop on you in a situation that he has you dead to rights and wants to rob you. Let's face it we can't always be on our toes no matter how hard we try. Do you give him what he wants, take a chance and draw on him, or wait till he turns to leave then take action your chosen way. I thought about this once and would like to hear some straight up honest answers.Personally I think I would give him what he wants then the moment I can draw my gun im going for it, not while dead to rights of course. The only problem is if I shoot this criminal in the back I have just became the one who is going to get prosecuted. So I guess I let him go and cut my losses if he runs away(he hopes)

MisterMcCool 09-01-2013 06:08 AM

Is he armed? With what?

Devin556 09-01-2013 06:16 AM

There was actually a man in the news recently, though I can't remember where, that was robbed and had his cc taken from him by the bg. After the bg left, he went to his car and got another firearm and ran the Ng down and shot him to get his stuff back. He was charged and convicted of murder. I really don't know what I would do. If my family was with me I would do whatever I needed to keep them safe. Even if it meant letting him rob me. If they aren't with me I would be more apt to taking risk. I guess I'll find out if it ever happens.

VoxRomantic 09-01-2013 06:19 AM

Look over his left shoulder and say. " John don't shoot him yet; we need to have some fun with this ass.":D

Axxe55 09-01-2013 06:23 AM

i would say comply to the point where you could draw your pistol. most men also carry their wallet on their strong side. at the point of going for your wallet, depending on how attentive this guy is, you might be able to present your own pistol.

i will add this, if the guy is armed, i would definately be trying to get my pistol into may hand as soon as possible, just because now you are a witness to his crime and would be able to put him in prison for his criminal activity.

in all reality, i don't think shooting him in the back would be prudent, simply becasue of the reasons you stated, but i would think that getting the pistol out sas quickly as possible just because he may have second thoughts about leaving a witness.

i not for sure there is a right or wrong approach to this other than doing whatever is needed to survive the encounter.

Rick1967 09-01-2013 06:41 AM

I agree with Axxe. As soon as I was able to draw I would do so. And there would be no warning. No "Drop it or I will shoot." If I am being robbed and it is bad enough I need my gun...I am taking a shot as soon as the opportunity presents itself.

jarhead0881 09-01-2013 06:47 AM

That's a pretty hairy scenario with a BG having you dead to rights. If I felt my life or my family's well-being was in danger, pull no punches and do whatever it takes to protect those lives. If I felt the BG only wanted the cash out of my wallet, I would probably comply and notify the PD as soon as I safely could. It's a tough call. A lot of variables to consider. That's part of what makes carrying a firearm such a fluid situation. Ever changing.

DeltaF 09-01-2013 08:16 AM

If outside of arms length, I would loudly say something like "hey man dont shoot me i have lots of money let me get my wallet. You can have all of it." Then I would throw my wallet to him whether he wanted it or not and hope he reflexively tried to catch it in his strong hand, or at least watched it instead of me for a brief second. Either way as soon as the wallet left my hand I'd be drawing my weapon while stepping out of his line of fire and immediately firing/shouting "get on the ground!"

If inside arms length, I'd throw my hands up like I was scared and ask him a question to throw him off of his game, something simple like "hey why do you want to shoot me?" Or "dude where's you get that nice watch?" Then i'd try to knock the gun out of his hand or at least away from me with a strike to the center mass of his forearm while stepping out of the line of fire. I would attempt some disarming tactics if the gun didn't fly across the room. Im sure one of us would be dead in the following few seconds. Hopefully him.

There are way too many people getting shot during armed robberies around here for me to cooperate beyond trying to find/make an opening. I'll take my chances in a fight instead. Especially since if hes robbing me as soon as he opens my wallet he's gonna know I'm a cop and I'll probably be dead in the next second.

This is a good question and something everyone ought to think about. Having predetermined plans for different scenarios boosts your reaction time and helps you not to freak out and freeze up. I really like these kinds of discussions.

mountainman13 09-01-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaF (Post 1353714)
If outside of arms length, I would loudly say something like "hey man dont shoot me i have lots of money let me get my wallet. You can have all of it." Then I would throw my wallet to him whether he wanted it or not and hope he reflexively tried to catch it in his strong hand, or at least watched it instead of me for a brief second. Either way as soon as the wallet left my hand I'd be drawing my weapon while stepping out of his line of fire and immediately firing/shouting "get on the ground!"

If inside arms length, I'd throw my hands up like I was scared and ask him a question to throw him off of his game, something simple like "hey why do you want to shoot me?" Or "dude where's you get that nice watch?" Then i'd try to knock the gun out of his hand or at least away from me with a strike to the center mass of his forearm while stepping out of the line of fire. I would attempt some disarming tactics if the gun didn't fly across the room. Im sure one of us would be dead in the following few seconds. Hopefully him.

There are way too many people getting shot during armed robberies around here for me to cooperate beyond trying to find/make an opening. I'll take my chances in a fight instead. Especially since if hes robbing me as soon as he opens my wallet he's gonna know I'm a cop and I'll probably be dead in the next second.

This is a good question and something everyone ought to think about. Having predetermined plans for different scenarios boosts your reaction time and helps you not to freak out and freeze up. I really like these kinds of discussions.

Damn we think alike. Although I'd probably try to hit him in the face with my wallet just because I'm an a$$hole and having a gun pointed at me pisses me off.
You sound like you have more training than your typical Leo.

Aside from that I want to comment on the "you can't be on your toes all the time" comment in the op.
Some of us have a very short time where we aren't on our toes, the few hours we sleep each night. Aside from that we are on high alert at all times.
I'm sure I am not the only one here with this disorder.

jjones45 09-01-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 1353770)

Damn we think alike. Although I'd probably try to hit him in the face with my wallet just because I'm an a$$hole and having a gun pointed at me pisses me off.
You sound like you have more training than your typical Leo.

Aside from that I want to comment on the "you can't be on your toes all the time" comment in the op.
Some of us have a very short time where we aren't on our toes, the few hours we sleep each night. Aside from that we are on high alert at all times.
I'm sure I am not the only one here with this disorder.

Yeah but sometimes we are in a rush, maybe on cell phone, thinking about something heavily. All kinds of scenarios to how a bg could possible be one up one you. Even being tired running on few hours of sleep wouldn't help. We all try to be alert and aware of our surroundings and some of us do a pretty good job 99.9% of the time. Be we our humans and our nature is not perfect. These our some great answers. Keep em coming please