Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   which is better gun over all and ccw (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/better-gun-over-all-ccw-48800/)

bones72 09-25-2011 06:27 PM

which is better gun over all and ccw

I have a pt709 as my main ccw thinking about trading for a m&p compact.. any opinion on this would ne greatly appreciated ...

IGETEVEN 09-25-2011 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bones72 (Post 586595)
I have a pt709 as my main ccw thinking about trading for a m&p compact.. any opinion on this would be greatly appreciated ...

The Smith M&P is a much better shooting and reliable semi-auto pistol over the Taurus pt709, IMHO. YMMV :cool:

bones72 09-25-2011 07:02 PM

That's what I was thinking plus I don't really care for the trigger pull of the Taurus..having a hard time with it...getting us to it...

MrWray 09-25-2011 07:19 PM

+1 for the M&P

rigjumpr 09-25-2011 08:03 PM

Too broad of a question like, who makes the best screw driver?

canebrake 09-25-2011 08:16 PM

Depends entirely on you but you're headed in the right direction. You need a change when the confidence in your CCW wavers. Be sure you base your next purchase decision on reliability and confidence rather than price. (My assumption about the PT709.)

I find the 9mm Browning Hi-Power to be my CCW of choice. Should I feel I need to change, I'm confident I will not be looking to Taurus for a replacement.

ArizonaLawman 09-25-2011 08:48 PM

If it was to be your PRIMARY carry gun, and not a backup...I'd go with the M&P9C. More bb's. Arguably more accurate, but that is the function of the shooter, not the pistol. Nitwits argue about accuracy in a compact pistol...they can't shoot them to their "mechanical accuracy potential" anyway, so it it's nothing I give bandwidth to. If the gun will deliver five shots to a paper plate sized target as fast as you can pull the trigger IN A CONTROLLED MANNER at the longest distance you will have to shoot in your home, you are golden.

I have a PT709 and love the hell out of it as a backup gun. Mine has about 600 rounds through it, and nary a bit of trouble. It is, in my opinion, a FAR superior subcompact than the new Ruger LC9. I shot them together, and the PT shot circles around the LC9. BUT...I digress.

I am a Glock man, but I recognize the outstanding quality of the M&P series of pistols. I have owned a couple and shot the mess out of a bunch...they work. They work every time. You'd be very well served indeed by an M&P.

So...in a nutshell...primary carry...get the M&P. If you shop around, you can find a used specimen for right around $400.

nccinstaller 09-25-2011 09:48 PM

If you like the m&p and can shoot it well then it sounds like a great new cc gun for you. I have shot them and really enjoyed it, i have considered picking one up for myself. Alot of people dont care for the taurus firearms because it seems like its 50/50 whether they are good or bad. I have had 2 taurus weapons and one rossi 2 of the 3 were great and the other i would never ever carried because it was very unreliable

bones72 09-25-2011 10:19 PM

I have not had a bit of trouble out of the Taurus . Just don't really care for the trigger .. I also hear the m&p is a lot more reliable...

Sent from my DROIDX using FirearmsTalk

ArizonaLawman 09-25-2011 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bones72 (Post 586753)
I have not had a bit of trouble out of the Taurus . Just don't really care for the trigger .. I also hear the m&p is a lot more reliable...

Sent from my DROIDX using FirearmsTalk

You confused me...you said "I have not had a bit of trouble out of the Taurus". Is it fine from a reliability standpoint, and you just don't care for the trigger?

My PT has been 100% reliable with everything I have stuffed into it. So I don't know about the M&P being "a lot" more reliable.

I am not trying to nitpick, just get a handle on your overall impression.

The M&P IS a fine weapon. If you choose it, you will have done well.