better for concealed carry - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > better for concealed carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 12:51 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I like SA. It really came down to when I was at the range and did draw and double tap drills. I had a very difficult time staying on target for the first shot when using a double action gun. With that said you should really carry what you are comfortable with. My first few years of CCW I carried a Glock without a round in the chamber. Now I carry a sig 938 or a kimber ultra .45 cocked and locked (condition 1)

Old 10-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #12

I ask because ive been sort of set on the Taurus pt638 .380 s/a but this will be my first carry gun since i should be getting my ccw within a month or two. Just wanting any info on any drawbacks of s/a for cc thank you everyone for their opinions and info its much appreciated.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1942 Times on 1346 Posts
Likes Given: 990

A loaded and chambered single action semiauto requires a two step operation on a draw. A loaded and chambered double action semiauto or revolver takes one step to fire.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 374

I carry da sa and dao guns. I like a variety but I shoot the guns I carry. I'm a heretic I carry my 1911 cocked but safety off, no different than carrying a glock or m&p or xdm. I also like to carry my da m9a1's and a few other types. Also carry a xdm. I've always got my dao lcp in the pocket.

The one running theme in my carry scheme is all I have to do is draw point and pull.

Whatever action type you choose is just preference. Shoot it a lot. Carry it always. The key to having a chance of surviving when the elephant comes in the room is having a gun... any gun.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

I have and carry all 3, single action, double action only, and single/double according to where I'm going, weather, etc. I just make sure I keep track of which I'm carrying. All my semi's have manual safeties, so I don't have any confusion about that. Someone indicated they have trouble keeping the first shot out of a double action on target. I had the same problem, because the first shot doesn't kick off immediately upon the trigger hitting the stop. It seems that it has a hesitation of about a quarter of a second, enough to let the gun move before it fires. I have no idea why that is, but I learned to use an extreme rigid grip on the gun and freeze in place until I feel the recoil. If anybody knows why the delay, please feel free to speak up.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1942 Times on 1346 Posts
Likes Given: 990

It may be a perceived delay, in anticipation of recoil. It may be the sear/hammer release impeded by dirt, grease, on ill fitting assembly. Let a friend shoot the gun, see what they say.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #17

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I use to carry my Ruger LCP (which is double action). It has no external safety and at first I carried without one in the chamber. I then started carrying it chambered. Now I carry my double action S&W 30-1 revolver as I can shoot it better, it feels better in my hands and I can get faster follow up shots with it.

Smith & Wesson 30-1
Taurus Model 85
EAA Windicator
Mossberg 500
Winchester 1400 MK II
Marlin 60
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger Target 22/45 MKIII
DPMS Oracle AR-15

Previous Firearms:
Hi-Point JHP
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger LCP
Taurus PT-25
Cobra FS380CB
Cobra CA380BB
Glock 22

Old 10-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #18

Liked 383 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
It is true that a DAO or Glock type action system is more intuitive in operation under stress. If anyone tells you he has never left the safety on in a speed drill, he is lying. A 1911 takes more training and trigger discipline for safe carry, and only then it makes a fine companion.
+1^^^^ Carry a 1911, (I did till about four years ago), and you need to drill with it, till your thumb hitting the safety and the grip safety disengaged becomes second nature. I haven't been in a stress situation lately, so the less details the better. I carry either an M&P Shield or a J frame for that reason. Moderator Jon says he carries his 1911 cocked, thumb safety off, claims it's no different than an M&P. I disagree, the trigger makes a big difference IMHO. No margin for error with a 1911. It obviously works for Jon, but I wouldn't roll those dice.

Last edited by Donn; 10-16-2013 at 12:14 PM.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
It may be a perceived delay, in anticipation of recoil. It may be the sear/hammer release impeded by dirt, grease, on ill fitting assembly. Let a friend shoot the gun, see what they say.
Thanks, Mercator. I'll have the gun checked out, and I'll also try to not be so uptight about the first shot. Maybe my expectation of a problem is causing it to happen.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #20

Liked 1836 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 1212

I have a lot of different guns that I carry. But they are all double action with no safety. Once the sights are on target simply pull the trigger. I do not carry anything I do not shoot a lot. The only exception to this is a 1911. I compete with a 1911 in IDPA. About a second after the buzzer goes off holes start appearing on the targets. I have practiced so much with that gun that I don't notice myself pushing the release button on my holster or deactivating the safety on the gun. I would carry it all the time. But a lot of it has to do with the fact that I can not carry at work. So I must lock it in my car. Pocket gun in inside jacket pocket is easy in and out. I often wear a tie and dress jacket.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.