better for concealed carry
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > better for concealed carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default better for concealed carry

just wanted to get some different opinions on single action or double action for concealed carry what are the pros and cons?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #2

Also whats your personal preferance and why?

Old 10-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasefitn
just wanted to get some different opinions on single action or double action for concealed carry what are the pros and cons?
Some people prefer longer trigger pulls with no thumb safeties. Others prefer a good short trigger pull with a thumb safety. Others don't put any thought into it.

I believe any "pros" or "cons" that people list in regard to either system is a feel-good excuse to not take the proper time to train on their preferred system. The only true safety is good judgement (keeping the finger off the trigger, keeping gun holstered until ready to fire, etc.).

There is no inherently "better" or "worse" system, which means any "pros" or "cons" associated with each are subjective and not really valid.

Not trying to be a grouch. Yours is a perfectly good question. Just giving my opinion.

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 10-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1934 Times on 1340 Posts
Likes Given: 988

It is true that a DAO or Glock type action system is more intuitive in operation under stress. If anyone tells you he has never left the safety on in a speed drill, he is lying. A 1911 takes more training and trigger discipline for safe carry, and only then it makes a fine companion.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #5

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have carried DA type triggers for 27 years for cc.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #6

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

DA-SA-DA/SA, it really does not matter. None are better than others. It's all about knowing your equipment and being proficient with it.

Me? I use both SA and DA/SA. I don't own a DAO so I wont give an opinion there. I've had Glocks, kind of like a .5 short of a DA. I've had a Sigma that was DAO. I had carried them but I am not really a fan of striker fired pistols. It's a preference and I can't say these options are bad.

If I was buying a CCW pistol today and wanted a DA/SA I'd look at something like a 229 Sig. I love the over all feel of a Sig, they are very accurate, and you get the SA with de-cock when the need is felt. THe 938 is really small and works well too. I've seen the 380 models (638?) And they look really good too but I've only shot one pistol one time so I really don't have a lot to go no there.
A revolver then probably a Smith snubby. I prefer having an external hammer so something like the 637 works there pretty well for me.
I guess the option of single action is something I really like to have. You have the ability to use single action which gives you a much better trigger.

At heart I'm a 1911 fan boy. I shoot them best when I'm shooting in a hurry and I just love the overall feel adn design. THose sweet SA triggers are like gun crack for me. I was hooked after just a few (target) hits. My overall fav to carry is a Para Ord LTC. Of course one does have to get used to carrying cocked and locked. But this is the way the pistol was designed to be carried. So it really should never be an issue. But it is for some and that's why a 1911 is NOT for everyone.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie
THe 938 is really small and works well too. I've seen the 380 models (638?)
I believe its the P238.

Always have clean socks.

jeffkaiser1989 Likes This 
Old 10-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1934 Times on 1340 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
I believe its the P238.
I think it may be the finest 380 of its size. But operating it under stress with a beefy paw is a test of fine motor skills that are known to get lost in a hurry.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #9

Liked 79 Times on 55 Posts

For me I carry a sa / da with decocker .40 in condition 2,, chambered round, thumb safety on, its nothing to swipe the safety off on the way to target and squeeze the first round double action. The da IMO makes Ned's really unlikely. Of course the next 13 rounds are coming sa and fast.... just my. 2

Old 10-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #10

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
I believe its the P238.
You're right. I getting em all corn-fuzed

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson