Is it better to carry a registered gun? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Is it better to carry a registered gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1684 Times on 1153 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsluvguns2 View Post
I don't think there is anywhere (in ohio) to "go register " a gun that you already possess such as one purchased from a private collection. And as far as I can tell from reading the laws I can't see anywhere that requires that your CCW gun be registered. The question I brought up is if people thought if you would look better if the gun you had to use for personal defense was purchased through a gun shop for example in which you were required to have a back ground check done and the serial number of the gun is registered to you.
If you buy a new gun from a gun shop a form 4473 is kept on record for 20 years. If the gun shop closes all the form 4473's that have been collected are turned over to the ATF. By law the ATF keeps all these records in a warehouse from closed gun shops.

If you buy a gun from an individual your home state has their own requirements.

Section 478.124(c)(4) requires FFLs to record on the Form 4473 the name of the manufacturer, the name of the importer (if any), the type, model, caliber or gauge, and the serial number of the firearm. As with the information in the acquisition and disposition record, the information pertaining to the identification of the firearm that must be recorded in Section D, questions 26-30 on the ATF F 4473, should be recorded from the markings on the firearm. If the information is recorded correctly, information about a particular firearm in the record of acquisition and disposition and in questions 26-30 on the ATF F 4473 should match.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #22

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

That is debateable
Definitely a broad statement that was.

Last edited by gaspump86; 12-02-2012 at 09:20 PM.
HOSSFLY Likes This 
Old 12-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2003 Times on 1186 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsluvguns2 View Post
I don't think there is anywhere (in ohio) to "go register " a gun that you already possess such as one purchased from a private collection. And as far as I can tell from reading the laws I can't see anywhere that requires that your CCW gun be registered. The question I brought up is if people thought if you would look better if the gun you had to use for personal defense was purchased through a gun shop for example in which you were required to have a back ground check done and the gun shop has the paperwork that you own that gun.
In that case I would say you can carry the gun you shot best and is 100% reliable and not worry about whether you bought it from a dealer or a private party.

Just learn the laws in your state pertaining to 'use of lethal/deadly force' and practice enough to be able to handle an 'up close and personal attack'!
Hope this helped,
Jim

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!