Is it better to carry a registered gun?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Is it better to carry a registered gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Is it better to carry a registered gun?

I just applied for my CCW, I already have a gun that I was planning to carry, but it is not registered. My brother feels i should carry a registered gun, his theory is that If I end up in a situation that I had to use my gun it would look better if I needed to defend myself court.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #2

Likes Given: 27

If your state law requires that you register your firearms, then I'd definitely recommend that you carry one that's registered, and for similar reasons. However, I'd independently confirm that is indeed the case. Curious to know in what state you reside...?

Thankfully, Arkansas doesn't require the registration of your firearms - handguns or long guns. The only thing that I would ever be worried about is buying a previously owned firearm that was used in a crime, as you'd likely have no way of knowing.

"Zombies. Man, they freak me out."

Old 12-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #3

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

It all depends on your state law. When I first got my CC the only handgun I had was my thunder .380. So that is what I was planing to carry. I got it when I was 18 for my bday so it was in my moms name. I asked the SO if I had to register it in my name. They said Alabama dose not require you to register your guns. And that a CC permit allowed you to have possession of a CCW. And that it has nothing to do with having ownership of a handgun. Just bc you don't own it on paper dose not mean you can't posses it.

But I would not carry a gun that I did not buy from a shop unless I knew the person extremely well and knew ware they got it.

Like ^^^^^ said. You could have a gun that was used in a crime.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8832 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

You need to do some reading on your state laws- and they ARE different for each state.

Think you are in Michigan. MI requires any dealer to maintain a registry of handguns they sell. I see nothing that requires a gun OWNER to register a gun with anyone.

In MOST of the US, there is no requirement to "register" a firearm- despite what you would assume from watching any crime show on TV. Matter of fact, there is no agency to "register" a gun WITH.

If you have to USE a gun, what will matter is whether your USE of the gun was in keeping with state law. If it was not, whether the gun is on a registry somewhere, handloads or factory ammo, etc etc etc will not matter.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

HOSSFLY Likes This 
Old 12-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I live in ohio, we also are not required to register guns.
Well, I think I have good reason to go buy a new gun!!! Lol now to decide between Ruger LCR .38 or S&W bodyguard .38

Old 12-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1578 Times on 1076 Posts
Likes Given: 544

Open carry is legal here in NC. But the definition of concealed is up to the officers discretion. I got my concealed carry permit so everything is black and white. Everyone I know who open carries has had a negative experience with law enforcement at some point. I strongly advise you to get a carry permit ASAP. Once a LEO sees that permit they seem to be more at ease. A permit is proof you are a good citizen who has never been in trouble.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #7

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Open carry is legal here in NC. But the definition of concealed is up to the officers discretion. I got my concealed carry permit so everything is black and white. Everyone I know who open carries has had a negative experience with law enforcement at some point. I strongly advise you to get a carry permit ASAP. Once a LEO sees that permit they seem to be more at ease.
Quote:
A permit is proof you are a good citizen who has never been in trouble.
That is debateable

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

eldarbeast Likes This 
Old 12-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7090 Times on 4267 Posts
Likes Given: 8591

Even in Illinois our guns don't have to be registered. You have to possess a Firearm Owners IDentification card to own guns but you don't need to register your guns individually.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #9

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Even in Illinois our guns don't have to be registered. You have to possess a Firearm Owners IDentification card to own guns but you don't need to register your guns individually.
WOW- Sorry to hear that
That something you apply for before owning/buying your first firearm?
Do you ever have to renew it?

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #10

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

That is "Big" brother government at its apex. The gun owner is registered not the gun. The government has a list of people names addresses next of kin that own weapons. That sounds very much like the gun laws passed in Germany after the Nazi party came into power.