Best gun for my scarety cat wife? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Best gun for my scarety cat wife?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I thought of a big mistake I made in helping Bonnie succeed in the shooting sports. Perhaps I could share that so you won't goof like I did.

I loved the concept of the Appleseed shoots and heard so many good things about the events. For her birthday, I got us to an Appleseed event. It was a very big mistake and the experience was a bad one for both of us. I hear very good things about Appleseed but it didn't happen that way for us. I just thank God that Bonnie had a wealth of experience BEFORE we went to the Appleseed.

So....advice? If you aren't sure about an activity for her to become involved in, then YOU go and check it out first! Do your homework and avoid sticking her in an event that will blow her away or turn her away from the shooting sports.

Flash

Old 03-20-2010, 05:30 PM   #52

Shooter girl has it right. I used to say there are two thing a married man should not try to do. Teach his wife to drive a car or to play golf. I have since added handling a firearm. She has her CCW but hardly carried because she was not comfortable with her ability. We found a good instructor, she completed the course and had a new found interest. The next thing I did was go with her to our local shop and stayed out of the way while SHE picked a weapon she was comfortable with. Turned out to be a Beretta .380. She carried and practiced faithfully with it until recently purchasing a new Ruger LCR. Depenting on her dress, she switches. BUT the point is that she now carries. She is comfortable and confident doing so. My opinion is that the single biggest mistake I see in many post is the phrase" I bought my wife a " She needs to pick her own weapon. If for no other reason other than, she picked it out and you didn't. If you have been married over a year you know what I am saying.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #53

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Every woman is different I guess.My sister was absolutely drawn into a .380 because it is the lowest recoiling defense caliber,so she went with the Bersa Thunder.My wife on the other hand,is different,she is less worried about caliber and recoil,but wants something that she can just keep pulling the trigger without doing anything,so for her a revolver is better.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 03-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #54
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROGER4314 View Post
My lady is 5'1" and pretty small. She is also very independent and a bit stubborn. Here's what I did with her. I invited her to attend my matches. When she was ready, she said she would like to learn to shoot. I let her try several small pistols until she settled on a Glock 26 in 9x19. As she progressed, I gave her my Glock 26 for Christmas.

She loved shooting targets in the shape of hearts and out of pink paper! It beats me why, but she loved it! She made her own targets and got pretty good at blowing them away. I enrolled her in a ladies only class and she loved that. The course was called "Roses With Guns" and she loved interacting with the other ladies.

She started shooting High Power rifle matches and became a High Master shooter at 200 yards and Expert at 600 yards.

Then I encouraged her to apply for a job as a Corrections Officer which she did and she is a highly respected officer, now. She earned her Texas CHL, too.

She needed to qualify with the AR-15 so I rigged a rifle with a retracting stock for her small frame. She had to qualify with the 870 Remington so I stacked up cardboard boxes and she blew them away! In yearly qualifying, she is always the high shooter of the group.

So......that journey took 7 years and it began when she was ready. It also changed her life in very positive ways.

My advice? Resist the temptation to push her and be receptive to "teachable moments" when she is ready to learn. Get your wife her own shooting stuff when she is ready, be supportive.

Good luck!

Flash
WOW, Talk about a flashback! Sounds like you and I were married to the same women. You wife and mine followed in the same footsteps. Except she has been a CO for almost 10yrs, shooting for 14. Funny how things turn out. Finally purchased her a Glock 19 so I can get my Sig P220 back her.

I do have to agreee with you about not pushing them. I have noticed that alot of the women that have asked me to teach them because they did not want there husband/boyfriend "teaching" them anymore because it usually turned in to a fight.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:37 PM   #55

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I am a teacher, now retired and know Bonnie pretty well (we aren't married). You need to decide if you want to encourage her to grow in her own direction or do you want to control her? Controlling Bonnie isn't going to work!

She always let the Glock 26 grip twist in her little hand so it was offset in the web of her hand. She also liked to lift up quickly to see the shot (no follow through). I'd simply say "Watch your grip" or "follow through" then step back and let her fix the problem.

I never corrected her in front of anyone else. I'd whisper to her or speak with her alone. But heck guys, that's just common courtesy.

Women love to interact with each other. If you can bring a female friend with you to the range, let Momma teach what she knows then ask you when she has a question, that works great! Of course, you stay out of it unless you are asked for help.

When Bonnie began to see problems with other people and their shooting, I would listen to her comments and stay the heck out of it. If she was correct, I'd let her teach. I never heard her teach someone incorrectly.

Perhaps these things will help in teaching your lady to shoot.

Flash