Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Best gun for my scarety cat wife?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 05:23 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 52

My wife is 5'1" and about 130lbs. She started out shooting with a Ruger P95 in 9mm and a snub nose S&W .38. She liked them but was not to happy. I let her shoot my Sig P220 .45ACP and she loved it. That is her carry gun now. At work she uses a Glock 19 9mm that she HATES.
The main point is LET HER chose the weapon she feels comfortable. What works for you will not work for her.
Have you thought about getting one of the new Sigs with the different back straps? Or S&W M&P's?

Old 11-13-2009, 06:33 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausn2002 View Post

Anyways, I know there is stun guns and pepper spray out there, but I would feel more comfortable knowing my wife can defend herself with something like a concealed gun, or even better be able to function the guns in the house safely and efficiently enough to take bad guys out.
The best piece of advise I can give any husband is this. Do not teach your wife how to shoot. She will probably not grow to her full potential by learning from you, regardless of how good a teacher you are. Start off with an instructor, then as she grows into it start shooting with her.

If she does not think she can take someones life then don't push the issue. Get her self defense classes and outfit her with some good less lethal options.

Now if she can get the proper mentality, or just wants to go shooting with you so she can share that part of your life then walk her into the store, preferably a store where you trust the sales people, and ask her if she needs some time alone to look around. If not do not point out every firearm that you think will be good for her. Wait for her to ask you or the sales person for advise, but do assure her before you even walk through the doors that her asking questions will be a good thing. If she asks the sales person keep your mouth shut until she asks for your opinion.

What she starts out with will have to be her choice or she will probably not enjoy it as much.

That said, I do not care how little or how big she is, she can start with any of the "normal" self defense calibers.

I have a little sister, I got all the height in the family. She is less than five feet tall, and very petite. She started off with a 1911.

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 11-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Excellent advice Shooter.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #44

Thank ya kind Sir.

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 11-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #45

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Shooter girl, gun smart and from Texas! Whoda thunk!

You are exactly what this forum needs to provide the better half of society with a real (experienced) female voice!

Kudos to you Shooter girl!

I look forward to reading your posts.

Now come over here to FL and get my wife interested in firearms!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-14-2009, 05:12 AM   #46

Thank you very much. Convince your state to let us drill off your coast and I would probably be around there more often.

Now seriously, if you would like you can PM me and I can get a feel for your wife and try to guide you through getting her interested.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:49 AM   #47

I agree with the others in the fact that she needs to feel comfortable with holding and operating the weapon... I would recommend a DA only to avoid confusion in a high-stress situation

Springfield XD-9 Subcompact
Taurus Model 605 .357 Mag
Kel-Tec P32
Ruger 10-22
Winchester 1300 Rifled Deer Slug (Tactical)
Saiga 7.62x39

Old 01-02-2010, 05:27 AM   #48

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I purchased my wife a new Glock 19 for Christmas and she really liked it. It surprised me because she was never really happy with the one she had at work so I got her one to practice with but now she carries it daily.

Remember that anyone can be trained to use a SA or DA pistol. It just takes alot of practice and practice and even more practice to teach your muscles what to do. Muscle memory is what they call it. Do it over and over and you will be able to do it with out thinking.

If you ever have the chance I would suggest going to Thunder Ranch (Oregon) or Gunsite (Arizona) or any other school of the same type for some formal classes if you can. You will not regret it.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #49

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
She sounds like she is up for it, but from a wife's perspective I can't stand to learn anything from my husband. I love him to bits but I would rather learn from someone else. I can outshoot my hubby (shhhh don't tell) but can't stand to shoot with him next to me. Its not something I prefer. I would set her up with that lady who was recommended and let her go on her own. Let it be her thing to learn and grow on her own and then share with you when she is comfortable. For some women, even though we love and respect our husbands its awful hard to learn from them, or in front of them.

I carry a beretta .380 I like it well enough and my 5 year old daughter can shoot it with some guidance. It was a good pistol for me to start with and I now feel good shooting anything. I've been shooting for hunting purposes since I was a kid, and handguns for the last 6 years.

Jess
Jess, I totally agree with you. While, I know that DZ is a much better shot than me, it drives me crazy to shoot with him. He has gotten better with time (15 years) he treats me like one of his officers. When I first met him, I was still carrying a 5-shot revolver, but in my assignment at the time, it was fine. I was not "dealing with bad guys" on a day to day basis and I would be armed differently if we were having a special op. Within 2 months he bought me a S & W 9mm without even checking what our carry requirements were, the S & W was not DAO and we were DAO only for cross-overs. He then sold that one and at least asked what we could carry, but didn't give me a choice, luckily I liked the 19 and it fit my hand well.

I have been a cop for 27 years and although it may not be text book, I have a "style" that works for me. Our shooting needs to be instinctive and that's what mine is. It's the same thing when he tries to change what, or how, I have stuff on my duty belt or in my unit. What I have works for me, my job is different than his, he is stationary and has all resources at hand, I am mobile and have to rely on what I have at hand.

Sausn2002, definitely give her time to see what works for her, don't push. Let her try different weapons to see what fits well for her, only she can make the decision. If you have a range where you can rent guns, that is great. The more she tries, the better she will feel when she finally decides which one she wants, or if she even wants one. Don't be surprised if she picks something totally off of your radar. I don't have a small hand, but most medium to big frames don't fit well. However, I love shooting my GB and it is a bigger frame than anything else I shoot. I don't know why, it just feels right.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 03-20-2010, 04:19 AM   #50

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

My lady is 5'1" and pretty small. She is also very independent and a bit stubborn. Here's what I did with her. I invited her to attend my matches. When she was ready, she said she would like to learn to shoot. I let her try several small pistols until she settled on a Glock 26 in 9x19. As she progressed, I gave her my Glock 26 for Christmas.

She loved shooting targets in the shape of hearts and out of pink paper! It beats me why, but she loved it! She made her own targets and got pretty good at blowing them away. I enrolled her in a ladies only class and she loved that. The course was called "Roses With Guns" and she loved interacting with the other ladies.

She started shooting High Power rifle matches and became a High Master shooter at 200 yards and Expert at 600 yards.

Then I encouraged her to apply for a job as a Corrections Officer which she did and she is a highly respected officer, now. She earned her Texas CHL, too.

She needed to qualify with the AR-15 so I rigged a rifle with a retracting stock for her small frame. She had to qualify with the 870 Remington so I stacked up cardboard boxes and she blew them away! In yearly qualifying, she is always the high shooter of the group.

So......that journey took 7 years and it began when she was ready. It also changed her life in very positive ways.

My advice? Resist the temptation to push her and be receptive to "teachable moments" when she is ready to learn. Get your wife her own shooting stuff when she is ready, be supportive.

Good luck!

Flash

Last edited by ROGER4314; 03-20-2010 at 04:09 PM.