Best gun for my scarety cat wife? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Best gun for my scarety cat wife?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2009, 04:01 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My husband has always been an avid gun enthusiast and has owned many. I've always appreciated the protection aspect of that but also wanted one for myself. I used to be afraid of them but he took me out to the range many times and taught me how to properly shoot. He also taught me how to take my gun apart, explained the specific functions of its parts, and how to clean it. I feel so much more confident now and am not afraid of it any more. We go the range regularly to practice. I even tried out his AR15 but heh heh, that was a little much.

I have a Ruger SR9. I chose it for its lighter weight and slim grip. I didn't like the bulkiness of other 9mm's, yes it probably has something to do with women's tendency to have a more slender hand. Also, it doesn't have a kick.

Last time at the range, hubs let me try out his S&W Beretta .40. That gun had so much kick to it it scared the heck out of me, I just can't handle it. He says he'd like to get me something more powerful than a 9mm, we're thinking of a .357 pistol, if it proves to be too powerful then I can use 38's in it.

But, in the meantime, I enjoy my SR9 and think it is a good pistol to consider for more slender hands.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:25 AM   #32

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My wife HATES my Glock 23 (and I'm starting to as well...) because of the recoil/muzzle flip. She fired her sister's Springfield XD9, and fell in love with it immediately. Maybe your wife would like it too...

Old 08-29-2009, 07:30 PM   #33

My wife is recoil sensitive, especially the big autos because of the muzzle flip. She like to shoot my S&W 22A rimfire semi-auto. The recoil is light enough for her to enjoy shooting. My .38sp snubnose does not bother her a bit. The +p rounds are a little more than she likes but practice with regular rounds is not a problem. The revolver doesn't snap her wrist like the larger autos, so she finds them more comfortable.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #34

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
My thinking is that if you go with a revolver, don't go smaller than a .38. If you think she should train on a .22, that's fine, go for it. It will help build her confidence. But personally, I just wouldn't trust one for self defense.

Just my 2 cents.
I agree. .38 doesn't seem good enough as it is, but it is the bare minimum of optimal self defense.
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Shooter View Post
+1
Get a 22 pistol for practice NOT defense. If she likes revolvers, get a 357mag so she can shoot 38 and 357mag. When the time comes where shes comfortable with shooting a larger load, she can pop in a 357 and not have to buy a new gun. If she doesnt like revolvers, not sure what to tell ya.

BTW-I love how you call your wifey a scaredy cat.

S.S.
Calling her that is all in good fun on this forum.
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I think you should let her handle a revolver. As per her petite size, she may have trouble with hand/wrist strength to rack the slide on semi-autos. Sure she may be able to shoot a semiauto BUT may not be able to load/unload/ or clear a malfunction. Let her handle a Ruger SP-101 in .327 Federal Magnum & see if it fits her. The .327 will also shoot .32 H&R and even in full power loads recoils a lot less than .357 Mag. The Ruger is solid stainless steel for more rugged construction & less recoil.

If she don't like that let her handle the Ruger LCR or a S&W .38. A moderator here likes his Ruger LCR. My wife has limited hand/wrist strength, packs a S&W model 442 airweight, and shoots it well.
Thanks for the advice! That's a great recommendation!

Old 09-24-2009, 01:51 AM   #38

I like to suggest "families " of handguns to new shooters. First, ai would never, ever buy a woman or any new shooter a 2 inch barel revolver. # and even 4 inch "J" frame Smiths can be found, and usually cheaper thant the so called concealable lengths. I would get a 4 inch Model 18, if i could find it , then go to a 4 inch model 19.

If I were an auto only type, get her a lightwiegt comander with a Ciener 22 conversion. Really small/ elderly women really do have a problem holding a full size service weapon up for any length of time. they have limited grip. The 22 kits will aloow a lot of practice for a little money. I don't own any semi auto that is not part of a "family" such as the Walther, or has a 22 conversion kit for it, except my Browning buckmark target, and a smith 422. All the others are readily convertable, and i am gettingth conversions as i get the money.

Another option for those with arthritis or reall weak hands are the Beretta and Taurus tip ups. A weel placed .32 has punched many a ticket. TRhe Tomcat can actually be had with sights!

Old 09-24-2009, 02:15 AM   #39

Couldn't get my wife to look at a gun let alone shoot one. We both agreed that it would be in her best interest to at least learn how to shoot. It was only when she saw a s&w j frame with a pink handle that she showed some interest in shooting. Well whatever works I guess. Anyways I will echo the post above. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get her started with a 22. You might employe some different targets other than a boring piece of paper. My wife gains more confidence watching a can jump when she hits it. Make it fun. That is the best advice I can give.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:48 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
Couldn't get my wife to look at a gun let alone shoot one. We both agreed that it would be in her best interest to at least learn how to shoot. It was only when she saw a s&w j frame with a pink handle that she showed some interest in shooting. Well whatever works I guess. Anyways I will echo the post above. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get her started with a 22. You might employe some different targets other than a boring piece of paper. My wife gains more confidence watching a can jump when she hits it. Make it fun. That is the best advice I can give.
That's very good advice, thank you.