Best gun for my scarety cat wife? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Best gun for my scarety cat wife?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

A short time. She said she would go to the range with me.
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

My thinking is that if you go with a revolver, don't go smaller than a .38. If you think she should train on a .22, that's fine, go for it. It will help build her confidence. But personally, I just wouldn't trust one for self defense.

Just my 2 cents.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-19-2009, 09:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
My thinking is that if you go with a revolver, don't go smaller than a .38. If you think she should train on a .22, that's fine, go for it. It will help build her confidence. But personally, I just wouldn't trust one for self defense.

Just my 2 cents.
+1
Get a 22 pistol for practice NOT defense. If she likes revolvers, get a 357mag so she can shoot 38 and 357mag. When the time comes where shes comfortable with shooting a larger load, she can pop in a 357 and not have to buy a new gun. If she doesnt like revolvers, not sure what to tell ya.

BTW-I love how you call your wifey a scaredy cat.

S.S.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:30 PM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

This is what worked for my and my girlfriend. I took her to the range with a semiauto and a revolver, both in .22, taught her the basics and let her shoot for a while without interfering too much. I tried my best not to burden her with too much information.

After a couple of training sessions with the .22s we moved on to fullsize revolvers and semiautos. I started her off with light 38 target loads in my S&W 686, and after a bit of practice she could manage pretty decent groups with +P ammo (certainly not bullseye match groups, but well within minute of a bad guy). She also handled 9mm semiautos fine.

Lots of people recommended small guns when I was looking for advice, I found that to be a mistake (at least in my case). My girlfriend is quite petite, and she found the recoil of smaller handguns difficult to handle. A full size weapon with appropiate grips works much better. This is another advantage of revolvers, you can switch the whole stock and adjust it perfectly to the shooter.

There are some semiautos with interchangeable backstraps that might also work. Like the S&W M&Ps, my girlfriend finds the smallest backstrap comfortable (although it's not 100% perfect), and she likes the simplicity of the weapon as well. Since she's not training too much, a basic "point and click" weapon seemed like the best way to go.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:44 AM   #25

First, she has to shoot what she likes and is comfortable with, because if she doesn't, she won't practice.

But here is a thought, what about ruger's new SP101 in 327 magnum. It can shoot wimpy 32's and 32 H&R magnums to start, and the 327 magnum looks to be a very solid defensive round. If that doesn't float her boat, then I'd highly recommend a nice 357 revolver loaded with 38s. If you reload or know someone that does, you can make up some really nice soft shooting 38's to learn on.

My 2 cents, take it for what it's worth.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:12 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

My wife has a S&W model 60 for her SD handgun. It's her bedside gun and generally all she wants to shoot when we go to the range.
She shoots 38's in it double action and I wouldn't want to be a bad guy if she's got it in her hands.
She practices double action because she figures that how she'll shoot it if and when the time comes.

For home, we keep it loaded with plain old Federal .38 hollowpoints.

My wife is not a "Gun Person" she comes to the range once in a while and practices, otherwise, she just indulges me in my addiction.

My buddy and I try to make it "girls day". My wife comes and he'll bring his GF and her two daughters shooting as well. We keep it light and easy. After morning at the range, we take the girls to lunch. Two hours at the range is about all they can comfortably handle, so lunch is a fun break.

Then off to town for lunch and chitchat and then the drive home. It works well for us and the women don't feel stressed at all.

I'm just sayin'
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-20-2009, 03:02 AM   #27

Liked 108 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I think you should let her handle a revolver. As per her petite size, she may have trouble with hand/wrist strength to rack the slide on semi-autos. Sure she may be able to shoot a semiauto BUT may not be able to load/unload/ or clear a malfunction. Let her handle a Ruger SP-101 in .327 Federal Magnum & see if it fits her. The .327 will also shoot .32 H&R and even in full power loads recoils a lot less than .357 Mag. The Ruger is solid stainless steel for more rugged construction & less recoil.

If she don't like that let her handle the Ruger LCR or a S&W .38. A moderator here likes his Ruger LCR. My wife has limited hand/wrist strength, packs a S&W model 442 airweight, and shoots it well.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 592 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 184

My wife and I have been married only 3 years. We are both in our 50's. She had only fired a gun of any type only once before I started seeing her. A former husband thought it would be funny to see her shoot a 12 gauge. She had no idea how to shoot properly and the shotgun punished her badly and she had no use for firearms after that. Shortly after we both agreed that we wanted to remain with each other, I wanted to teach her to shoot for defense. She was reluctant, to say the least, but starting out with .22's and .410 shotguns, she took to shooting like a fish to water. She has pistols up to 9mm, has shot my magnums,,, not fond of them,,, and is becoming a fair trapshooter, with her 12 gauges,,,yes she learned how to properly mount and shoot them and she was so proud of herself the first time she shot a few rounds and was not punished. Now all of this took some time, so my main advice is to be very patient with your wife and let her progress at her pace, and definitely pay for professional instruction. The value of this will become very evident to you later.
Good shooting,
Jeff

Old 08-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #29

She sounds like she is up for it, but from a wife's perspective I can't stand to learn anything from my husband. I love him to bits but I would rather learn from someone else. I can outshoot my hubby (shhhh don't tell) but can't stand to shoot with him next to me. Its not something I prefer. I would set her up with that lady who was recommended and let her go on her own. Let it be her thing to learn and grow on her own and then share with you when she is comfortable. For some women, even though we love and respect our husbands its awful hard to learn from them, or in front of them.

I carry a beretta .380 I like it well enough and my 5 year old daughter can shoot it with some guidance. It was a good pistol for me to start with and I now feel good shooting anything. I've been shooting for hunting purposes since I was a kid, and handguns for the last 6 years.

Jess

Old 08-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #30

Here is what you need to do.

Take her to the gun store and have her look and feel the guns. Start with a 22lr. find the one she likes and she thinks feels good. Buy that and take her to the range and teach her how to use it unload it ect..... After that (NOT THE NEXT DAY) then take her back and have her try slightly bigger handguns. Don't let her shoot it first you shot it first then let her shoot it. If she doesn't like the recoil then look for something else. Try before you buy is the best way to find the right product for her. That and stop calling her a scaredy cat that will get you no where. She has every right to be scared she has never shot that much. Unlike many of us, I will shoot anything 5 times. I am not recoil sensitive at all because I was started small and worked up. Noise is something else everyone is forgetting to talk about. Pistols and indoor ranges are LOUD get her plugs and a very good set of muffs. If she likes pink get her pink or get her a gift card with enough to get her own stuff and let her go shop for it with guidance from you on the safety aspect. You don't haver her go and buy your shoes do you? Do you haver her go buy your guns? Then why does everyman assume they have to buy the gun for their wife. Let her pick it out and let her pay for it. This will add pride of ownership to it and help her learn more.

- Unknown