Best gun for my scarety cat wife? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Best gun for my scarety cat wife?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 02:25 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Once she's warmed up to shooting she'll be able to handle larger calibers no problem.

I'd look into a carry 1911 in 9mm.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:44 AM   #12

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Got to Superior Pawn & Gun on Virginia Beach Boulevard, and talk to anyone upstairs at the range. Find out what Rosie's schedule is, and set up a session with her. She's a family friend, truly knows her stuff, and promotes the fun of shooting. I knew her for years before ever shooting with her, and if there's anyone who can be a shooting buddy before being a shooting coach, it's her.
They have a great selection of rentals, and the prices can't be beat (Unless you go to Camp Allen, but you don't get Rosie there) and on Saturdays you can get free hotdogs. Life is good.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:30 AM   #13
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If your wife is open minded to owning a pistol the best thing to do is find a local range that rest pistols and also offers training. Have her take a basic gun course and then a personal defense class. Trust me it works. My girlfriend went to the range with me often, she shot my pistols, and I did my best to teach her, we rented different pistols and again I tried to teach her to no avail, a year of frustration for both of us. Last Christmas she gave me a copy of her consealed carry license and showed me her G27. She got the message that I thought it was important she learned to shoot and defend herself. In the kindest way possible she showed me that she couldn't learn from me. It didn't bruis my ego at all, there is a reason firearm instructors get paid well for what they do, they are far more objective to the students needs than a mate could be. Latter my daughter went though the same training and bugs me often to go to the range. Before she would never go.

My only regret is there firearm of choice is a Glock 27. It doesn't fit me but they both shoot them well and will carry them. So I'm happy.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #14

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My wife also at times considers having a gun. When she's around me she feels safe, but at times when she's not with me the idea comes up. She has shot all my guns in the past and still is akward with a semi-auto. I think under duress she would be better with the simplicity of a revolver. Probably something fairly small and light, but at least .32 cal.

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

Old 08-19-2009, 04:51 PM   #15

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I would rather have my wife armed with a 22 that she likes and can hit with than a hand cannon that she is scared of and can't hit schitt with.

10 22lr center mass is better than 10 9mm that don't hit anything but walls.

First thing to do is get a darn 22 pistol. Browning, Ruger, Beretta Neos and many others out there are good. Don't go and get some tiny tacticool crap to start with. Get a decent plinker like the Ruger MkIII with a 5.5" barrel.

Do what Gorknoids said to do. Get a female instructor or find her a class that is for ladies only. They are more open to shooting if other women are there or teaching. Men can and will be aholes a lot just look on youtube for women shooting.

When my grandfather died my grandmother come over and said I need a gun not a big one just one I can shoot and load. My dad side here try this. haded her a derringer in 22lr. 2 shots. She took it out loaded it and shot it twice at a target. she could hit a 10" plate at 10' that was great. She said "Two shots is all i need, 1 in the face 1 in the balls". I tell you what she would do it too.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
My wife also at times considers having a gun. When she's around me she feels safe, but at times when she's not with me the idea comes up. She has shot all my guns in the past and still is akward with a semi-auto. I think under duress she would be better with the simplicity of a revolver. Probably something fairly small and light, but at least .32 cal.
That's exactly what I was thinking. A .32 Revolver. I figure .32 would be as low as I would go (it's not near as good as the big three: 9, 40, and 45, but it's enough defense in most situations, mostly because of the advances in ammunition).

I think it's got to be a Revolver, because I also would want her to be able to clean her own gun. At least Revolvers have very good track records when it comes to reliability. I don't like them personally, but I'll see if she goes for it when she tries it out.
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I would rather have my wife armed with a 22 that she likes and can hit with than a hand cannon that she is scared of and can't hit schitt with.

10 22lr center mass is better than 10 9mm that don't hit anything but walls.

First thing to do is get a darn 22 pistol. Browning, Ruger, Beretta Neos and many others out there are good. Don't go and get some tiny tacticool crap to start with. Get a decent plinker like the Ruger MkIII with a 5.5" barrel.

Do what Gorknoids said to do. Get a female instructor or find her a class that is for ladies only. They are more open to shooting if other women are there or teaching. Men can and will be aholes a lot just look on youtube for women shooting.

When my grandfather died my grandmother come over and said I need a gun not a big one just one I can shoot and load. My dad side here try this. haded her a derringer in 22lr. 2 shots. She took it out loaded it and shot it twice at a target. she could hit a 10" plate at 10' that was great. She said "Two shots is all i need, 1 in the face 1 in the balls". I tell you what she would do it too.
Yes, a female instructor. I don't think I'm a good teacher when it comes to regular females, so I should ask a female at the gun range to help out. Males and Females in the Navy are what I teach firearms to, but they have a completely different mindset, because they know what they signed up for, at least I wish that was the case 100% of the time. Regular (I'm using the word regular because some people get offended at the word civilian for some reason) Males tend to be fine too, but not all of them.
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:13 PM   #18

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

.22 is the smartest option to start. Low recoil, cheap/available ammo, relatively inexpensive weapon! The Walther P22 would fall in the criteria but any Quality made .22 pistol would be a perfect starting point.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
.22 is the smartest option to start. Low recoil, cheap/available ammo, relatively inexpensive weapon! The Walther P22 would fall in the criteria but any Quality made .22 pistol would be a perfect starting point.
Last time I was in the range, I saw a woman looking at one of those Walthers. I may even shoot it myself to check it out. I've hated Walther's in the past, because I shot one that gave me a very bad cut. It's hard to hold those without getting injured badly. You know what I mean? The slide on it. It was a smaller model.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #20

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

If your wife does not like guns, leave it at that. If it is hard to get her to go to the range, she is telling you something. Teach her how to safely use one just in case of a home invasion. Buying her one and putting her through the ringers might put unneeded strain on your relationship. Plus, it could end up being a waste of money. Jmho.

The last thing you want is for her to gripe to her friends about how you force her to shoot guns.

BTW, how long have you been married?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!