Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Best gun for my scarety cat wife? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/best-gun-my-scarety-cat-wife-17097/)

sausn2002 08-19-2009 12:24 AM

Best gun for my scarety cat wife?

My wife is less than 100 pounds and about 5 feet. I think she's shining up to gun shooting...a little. It's hard to get her to the range, and maybe it will be better next time when I have her shoot my .32 pocket NAA pistol. Last time I had her shoot my .40 caliber full size Glock. Maybe that was a little too much. Usually I can shoot anything, even a .50 caliber pistol, and it won't phase me one bit, so it's hard for me to tell how it feels to my wife.

Anyways, I know there is stun guns and pepper spray out there, but I would feel more comfortable knowing my wife can defend herself with something like a concealed gun, or even better be able to function the guns in the house safely and efficiently enough to take bad guys out.

Okay, now to what I'm asking. What is a good gun that she could handle that would have enough stopping power to give me confidence that she would be alright in a situation? I'm talking about pistol, shotgun, whatever; nothing specific. Chances are no one would take her seriously anyways, and would be off their guard to begin with, which would give my wife an advantage.

Anyways, let me know what your thoughts are on this guys. I'd love to hear your opinions.:)

Shotgun Shooter 08-19-2009 12:26 AM

Well, first off you need to make sure she wants it, not just because you want her to. Second, she'll need to go hold some. She sounds extremely tiny and I'm at elast 2.5x her weight. So, what would work for me definitely wouldnt work for her.

Now, go to the gun store, see what she likes/you can afford. ;)

S.S.

OC357 08-19-2009 12:50 AM

What about trying a .22 revolver first and then working up in caliber??? Maybe she will get the feel of it better that way if she never shot before.

Just a thought.

OC

CA357 08-19-2009 01:13 AM

Have her check out something like a Bersa or a Walther in .380. The Bersa Thunder is a great little inexpensive pistol and recoil should be easy for her to handle. Another suggestion is a CZ82 in 9 Makarov. They can be had for around $200.+/- and shoot the more powerful Makarov round. Yet, it's still a small and manageable caliber.

Let her handle different handguns and tell you which feel best. Make sure she starts out with something she can handle and can enjoy shooting or you may sour her on the whole deal. This isn't the time to be macho, this is the time to pay attention to her. Then make sure she gets excellent instruction.

I have to say that if she wants a semiauto you should really go the Bersa or Walther route. A .22 isn't the best defensive round. A .380 isn't all that great either, but it's a proven round and it will work. 9 Mak, even better.

The main thing is that she practices with it and gains confidence. It's better for her to have a smaller caliber and be able to shoot it confidently than to have something larger that she is scared of and won't shoot.

Good luck. Some years ago I made the mistake of buying my wife a handgun. Big, big mistake. I now pass this man wisdom on to you. ;)

sausn2002 08-19-2009 01:14 AM

I actually thought of the revolver, because I heard alot of first time shooters use those out of it's sure simplicity. The mechanics are very easy to understand and on a smaller caliber model, the way the handle is shaped is good for handling (this is my opinion). I'll give this all a try. I think I'll rent something small at the range for her to try out and see how she is comfortable. I can always buy her some Pepper Spray, lol. I'm not really pushing her, it's just what I wish, but it's not a super big deal. She's been to the range before, it's just not her cup of tea.

spittinfire 08-19-2009 01:15 AM

I don't know this to be the case but....I think she is afraid. Get her something she can shoot comfortably. I started my wife with 22's and she had fun. I soon moved her up to some light 38's I had hand loaded. After that, she was off. She now shoots 38 Special 125 +p with no problems, 3" group at 10 yards out of an SP101 with a 2 1/4" barrel. I tried to move her into 9mm but she didn't like the action of a semi auto. I feel my wife is well protected in the event that I'm not home.
We go on shooting trips together, driving to some land and shooting there. She enjoys it and so do I. Get her something that she can shoot comfortably and build her confidence. Build her up, move her SLOWLY into a larger caliber. My wife shoots a small 38 very well but she didn't start out there.

sausn2002 08-19-2009 01:16 AM

I didn't know the Makarov was easy to handle? What about recoil? That's an excellent suggestion. Very good pistol.

Very great advice in your reply, CA. I will take heed.

ChuckD 08-19-2009 01:42 AM

I'd warm her up to the idea of shooting by letting her shoot a small caliber handgun with limited recoil, a 22LR pistol would be perfect for this. I saw a lady walk off the range earlier this year because the gun she was shooting kicked too much, it was her first time and she was not comfortable with it. She didn't want anything to do with for the rest of the time of saw her there.

Good luck!

CD

sausn2002 08-19-2009 02:09 AM

My wife has agreed to go to the range, and she simply said yes. I think it's because I told her that when we go, we'll rent a gun (not use one of mine), and I told her she could take her time holding different pistols and see what she likes. I told her that she could shoot a much smaller caliber first and then work her way up. It worked! She has shot before, like I said, and took it like a champ (a 40 caliber Glock I have), but like I said at the beginning of the thread, she didn't have any encouragement to go to the range after that. Now that I suggested she take her time at it and work her way up, it's good. I guess before I just simply took her to the range and had her fire what I had right away, when I should have moved her slowly up the ladder on pistols with patience. It's all good now. Thanks, guys.

sausn2002 08-19-2009 02:10 AM

Then maybe I'll have an excuse to buy a Makarov, LOL!;) I'll let her have it as a concealment gun though, but only as long as I feel she can do it safely. I'm a Gunner's Mate in the Navy after all, and teach people how to use firearms safely and efficiently.