Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Best gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2007, 01:41 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My keltec 32 is the easiest toting pistol I own and its also very accurate... for me that has been the deciding factor. If I have pants on, the Keltec is on me somewhere. I'm currently flirting with the Keltec P9F; If I can find the right load for it, it may replace the 32. I also like the NAA mini revolvers. They're harder to hit with, but they are very easy to conceal.
I tried to carry a PPk/s and a beretta tomcat... I believe it would be just as easy to pack a fullsize gun on both counts.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #42

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Llama 45 Cal for me.

Have you joined my postal match yet?
If not get in on the fun here: http://www.spetznatzworld.com/id41.html

Old 09-09-2007, 10:58 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNGIRL View Post
I carry a full length 1911 .
The 1911 is a heavy gun to carry concealed. How do you carry and doesn't it a bit big to effectively concealed?

Old 09-09-2007, 11:15 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe M. View Post
The one you have with you when you most need it.

As a police combat firearms instructor, people ask me all the time what the best defensive carry gun to have is, well when I was carrying a badge, where and how I carried off duty didn't really matter, so I used to tell people to get the biggest, most powerfull handgun that they could comfortably carry and shoot, suggestions like the 1911, high power, or the Smith mod. 19 or 66- 2" would come to mind.

Now that I'm retired from active duty, I got to look at the subjectin a different light, as a civilian, my reasons for carrying are different, I no longer need an auto-loader with 16 rounds, or a big rev. and three speed loaders, I'm not responding to calls, the only people that I'm protecting for the most part are me and my family.

It took me awile to adjust, but it was worth it, I've found what I think is the perfect, everyday carry gun.

It's stainless and aircraft aluminum parts are weather and sweat proof, it's double action only, no slide stops, decockers, or safeties to worry about, no magazines to accidently drop out, just load it, point and shoot, it don't get any simpler than that.
It holds five rounds of .38 calliber power, with light wgt. silver tips or hydro-shocks it's managable to shoot accuratly for just about anyone, carry a speed strip or speed loader if you feel like tou need to, but if you can't stop an attacker with a double tap to the chest, or two attackers, with a round left for a third, you should not have gone there to begin with.

The gun that I carry every day is the S&W model 642-2 Centenial, it's unmodified, out of the box great, no sharp edges, no adj. sights, no hamer to catch on clothing, it's just right size lets you hide it in an in the pants holster or do as I do and just slip it in your favorite pocket , It's the right weight, the right size, and the right calliber that will keep you from putting it in a drawer at home because it's too uncomfortable to carry, it will be there when you need it, that my new advice.
I find your answer well thought out and logical. If fact I have been looking at that weapon for my wife and thinking of changing from carrying my K-Tec .32 which is light, small, and easy to carry, it does have limited stopping power to the same weapon for myself, or at least to be able to choose between the two. I usually have at least one larger back up weapon available depending on the situation and it is not carried on my person, but is close by, but again, might not be within reach if and when needed. Thanks for your thoughtful answer.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:08 PM   #45

Seems more like a poll thread now. I carry a Sig P230 because it's thin,light weight,and reliable as hell. Firepower wise IMHO a .380 performs quite well . I must say though I am impressed with some of the extreme lightweight/ compact titanium framed revolvers that are on the market too.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:04 PM   #46

Quote:
Llama 45 Cal for me.
How about a pic? I find Spanish handguns fascinating....If not, what model is it?

Old 09-16-2007, 02:40 AM   #47

Default M.Bodine

I carry a S & W 642-2 Airweight inthe summer as it is a small five shot >38 and only weighs 14 ounces. In cooler weather I carry a Glock 32 in an inside the waist band holster.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:16 AM   #48

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I carry a Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm, it is a slight bit bulky but when the shirt is down over it and my arms hangs by it no one notices. I have had only one comment and someone thought it was a overly large cell phone and I just smiled and said I had to have a large one with big numbers sense my eyes were not very good now days.

I have found through the years of carrying hand guns that mostly it is what you can use well that counts. Though when it is winter and I ware a coat I carry a gov. 1911a1 45 auto. Weight is a small factor and the Taurus is light weight so I carry that most times.

A good handgun with good power, small signature and lightweight is a good .38 cal snub nose. I do not carry concealed in order to get into a gun battle I carry mine in case I need it.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:48 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog View Post
What is the best gun to carry concealed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman69 View Post
Depends on what you like and what you shoot the best.
Fireman answered your question better than anyone else I feel, you can get a million different opinions from a question like that, but if you can't make that weapon perform as well as they can then that weapon won't necessarily be what's best for you.

Go out to a gun range that lets you test various guns, find out what works best for you, what's most comfortable for you, and what you shoot the best with. Hitting your mark consistantly is what'll save your life, it has nothing at all to do with which gun I think is best, it has everthing in the world to do with which guns is right for you. Someone else said somewhere, "it's better to get an accurate shot off with a .22 than to be off target with a .44 magnum."

Good luck,
SnowCajun

Old 09-30-2007, 04:27 PM   #50

I have a G19 and a G26 for carry. I love them both, but 90% I go out, I drop the S&W 642 in my front pocket.

Countless instructors that I know will tell you that the J-frame is the most reliable and most carried gun on the planet.