Best gun? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Best gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2007, 07:17 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I hasn't been made yet if you want to know my thoughts. If I could get find someone to make it, I'd like a Kel Tec P-11 or SKYY CPX in .45 GAP. Both are small, easily concealed pistols currently in 9mm. The .45 GAP was designed from the get-go as a round that delivers .45 ACP stopping power in a 9mm sized frame. Put the two together and I think one of those companies would have a real winner on their hands!

Actually, there has been a lot of talk about why the GAP round was even designed in the first place. Well, if someome at K-T or SKYY would take this ball and run with it, they just may come up with the perfect concealed carry pistol AND put to rest the question of why have the .45 GAP round.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:47 PM   #12

Default I tend to carry Glock 21 .45 ACP most of the time.

When I need something smaller, I fall back on a Glock 17 9mm. For even more concealed carry, a Bersa Thunder .380 does the job.

I am a big boy, so concealment is rarely a problem.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:42 PM   #13

I's say carry the biggest one you are able to shoot straight and are able to carry comfortably. Smaller is not always better. If confronted by someone high on drugs you need all the knockdown power you can get. I prefer & carry a Ruger P345 .45 auto. Not a fast or high tech caliber, but definitely will get the job done BETTER than most.

Last edited by tom98915; 05-17-2007 at 08:42 PM.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:45 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog View Post
What is the best gun to carry concealed?
The one you have with you when you most need it.

As a police combat firearms instructor, people ask me all the time what the best defensive carry gun to have is, well when I was carrying a badge, where and how I carried off duty didn't really matter, so I used to tell people to get the biggest, most powerfull handgun that they could comfortably carry and shoot, suggestions like the 1911, high power, or the Smith mod. 19 or 66- 2" would come to mind.

Now that I'm retired from active duty, I got to look at the subjectin a different light, as a civilian, my reasons for carrying are different, I no longer need an auto-loader with 16 rounds, or a big rev. and three speed loaders, I'm not responding to calls, the only people that I'm protecting for the most part are me and my family.

It took me awile to adjust, but it was worth it, I've found what I think is the perfect, everyday carry gun.

It's stainless and aircraft aluminum parts are weather and sweat proof, it's double action only, no slide stops, decockers, or safeties to worry about, no magazines to accidently drop out, just load it, point and shoot, it don't get any simpler than that.
It holds five rounds of .38 calliber power, with light wgt. silver tips or hydro-shocks it's managable to shoot accuratly for just about anyone, carry a speed strip or speed loader if you feel like tou need to, but if you can't stop an attacker with a double tap to the chest, or two attackers, with a round left for a third, you should not have gone there to begin with.

The gun that I carry every day is the S&W model 642-2 Centenial, it's unmodified, out of the box great, no sharp edges, no adj. sights, no hamer to catch on clothing, it's just right size lets you hide it in an in the pants holster or do as I do and just slip it in your favorite pocket , It's the right weight, the right size, and the right calliber that will keep you from putting it in a drawer at home because it's too uncomfortable to carry, it will be there when you need it, that my new advice.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:34 PM   #15

Default carry of choice

until coming to NY.,my carry was colt 45 auto,or my S&W 40 sigma.I love the 45,but the sigma pisol is definately a lot lighter to carry,and with hydroshock melon-busters,its almost as powerful as the 45.now I just have to get my permit here....hard to believe,have to have a permit to even have a pistol in your own home,much less to be able to carry,. A CCW is even harder to get.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:34 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Briggs View Post
I carry a Ruger 45 Auto and hate it. Too big. I am looking for something as well.

Which Ruger? I have the P345 and it works good with the shoulder holster I bought at Academy Sports. Very comfortable and not very bulky at all under a coat.

MarMac

Old 06-18-2007, 01:07 PM   #17

I suggest a glock 19, its easy to conceal, not heavy, and carries up to the generous 12 mag. I carry mine with 9mm hollow points, and its saves my life once already and i never have had a problem with it. If your looking for something alot smaller, go for the 6.35mm cz. I love mine to bits and can conceal it pretty much anywere, yes... way to small a caliber, i know... but fill the cute 6 mag with hollow points and its actually not that bad!!!

Old 06-20-2007, 03:32 PM   #18

Default My Preference at the moment

For carry I utilize a Glock 27 Sub compact .40 cal, A Glock 23 compact .40 cal or a Kel-Tec PF9 9mm. Summer time I mainly carry the Kel-Tec PF9 - it is light - holds 7+1 - and drops in a pocket holster just fine. I just met a guy yesterday that swears by his Kimber Ultra Carry II. The good thing is that there are many choices for a concealable firearm today. Go to a range that rents guns and try out a few. What I like - you may hate. 1st post on this board - just found you guys/gals!

Old 07-04-2007, 01:56 AM   #19

I've been carrying a combination of a Sig Sauer P230SL, an HK P7 PSP or an HK P7M8. The HKs are nice, but I feel more comfortable carrying the Sig since it is smaller and easier to conceal...

Old 07-04-2007, 11:25 AM   #20

I have a Bersa Thunder 380 and a CZ 75 Compact. Both are pretty easy to carry in Don Hume IWB holsters.

MY DOG IS SMARTER THAN MOST POLITICIANS