Best carry piece for female new to CCW
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Best carry piece for female new to CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 04:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Default Best carry piece for female new to CCW

My girlfriend is used to me carrying .she is a good shooter and now she thinks she wants to get her permit and find a good pistol for herself.
I have never given gun advice to a woman any help would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-17-2013, 04:39 AM   #2

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

Take her shopping and let her handle everything. The one that fits her hand the best will be the best one for her.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:40 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase127
My girlfriend is used to me carrying .she is a good shooter and now she thinks she wants to get her permit and find a good pistol for herself.
Best for her to go to a gun store and see what she likes. What feels good in her hands. And finding out which ones she can rack the slide on.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

People Like This 
Old 02-17-2013, 04:55 AM   #4

Liked 284 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thats the best thing to do. First my wife wanted a Glock so i bought her that. Now she carries a Jframe that I bought her. Well now she wants a 1911 to carry so we will be going shopping for yet another firearm. Its different for everyone, I carry her Glock right now because it fits and I can conseal it well. But I have carried her Jframe in my pocket a couple times. She may like to carry a Desert Eagle you never know untill she handles a couple. Just remember what ever she wants you get to shoot it also. Thats the way I look at it.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:56 AM   #5

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

How will she be carrying? My wife is going to start carrying in her purse. I'm going to git her a hammerless revolver in .357. No hammer to git snagged. And it will not jam. Going with a powerful round to replace the capacity. I know it's going to be a lot of recoil so she will start with .38s at the range. After all when your life is on the line recoil is the last thing you are worried about.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:13 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Like has been said, have her handle a bunch of handguns. Narrow it down and then see if you can rent or borrow as many as you can and have her shoot them all. She has to be happy with how it feels to carry and to shoot. Then make sure she practices regularly.

If she hasn't been to a concealed carry/defensive pistol class yet, encourage her to go to at least one. There are some classes that are put on by women these days and that would probably be a good way to go.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 02-17-2013 at 06:05 AM.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:03 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21724 Times on 12314 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

take her shopping! women love to shop! if she likes shooting, then shopping for a pistol will be no different. let her handle as many as possible and let her choose what fits her the best. the pistol that fits her hand is the one she will shoot the best and have the most confidence in. if the pistol is for CC and SD, she needs to have that level of confidence in that pistol.

also what she likes may even suprise you. let her ask questions and then answer her questions as best you can. only offer suggestions if she asks for them so as not to seem to be pushing her in a particular direction. the person carrying the pistol is the one who needs to make the choice. no sense in getting one she won't carry because she doesn't like it.

get her into some classes or lots of practice once she's made a choice. tell her she needs to practice regularly to stay proficient with her pistol. good way to have some quality time together.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase127 View Post
What is she a good shooter with? Is it concealable? Is it adequate for self-defense?
Old 02-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2131 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 635

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
How will she be carrying? My wife is going to start carrying in her purse. I'm going to git her a hammerless revolver in .357. No hammer to git snagged. And it will not jam. Going with a powerful round to replace the capacity. I know it's going to be a lot of recoil so she will start with .38s at the range. After all when your life is on the line recoil is the last thing you are worried about.
Revolvers can and will jam especially with odd little parts and pieces from carrying in a purse. Get her a carry purse that has a separate compartment for the pistol. When a revolver jams it will take a while to get it running again.
I had a primer back out on a factory load and it locked up the cylinder. It took over 20 minutes for the range master and I to get it open. I could not leave the range with it loaded. (Kalifornistan) Another time a tiny bit of debris got behind the ejector star on a reload and the cylinder would not close.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7342 Times on 4418 Posts
Likes Given: 9064

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Revolvers can and will jam especially with odd little parts and pieces from carrying in a purse. Get her a carry purse that has a separate compartment for the pistol. When a revolver jams it will take a while to get it running again.
I would never recommend purse carry. I think it is too awkward to draw from and you might someday, indirectly, arm purse snatcher. I think carry should be on your body only. But that is my personal opinion.

And JTJ has a good point, too. Purses have a lot of little items that get thrown in there. It will jam either a revolver or a semi-auto.