Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Best 1911 for CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Best 1911 for CCW

My first post so go easy on me. I'm getting my WV ccw after Xmas and I have decided I want a 1911 for carry during the winter. So what's the best? I will most likely carry iwb so I don't think I will want a 5inch barrel. Thanks in advance guys.

Glock 22 owner, 6 years USAR MP, OIF 07-08

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #2

Liked 359 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenc View Post
My first post so go easy on me. I'm getting my WV ccw after Xmas and I have decided I want a 1911 for carry during the winter. So what's the best? I will most likely carry iwb so I don't think I will want a 5inch barrel. Thanks in advance guys.

That really depends on how much you want to spend however come options could be:

Kimber Ultra
Colt Defender
Springfield EMP

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #3

Liked 162 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 256

Cost is a factor in the 1911 platform, but a 100 year old design that has proven itself is peace of mind.

I have a Kimber Ultra and love it, I am looking at a Colt Commander to buy soon.

Springfield, Ruger, Nighthawk all have nice 1911's also.

Go to a gun range that rents guns and try out a few different models and barrel lengths, also go to a well stocked gun store and handle several different ones. Ask the staff for their input on each of the ones that you like. And let cost be a minimal factor in what ever you purchase.

As for holsters for IWB I really like the Tommy Thesis style for every day carry, great retention, very comfortable, easy to conceal.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2198 Times on 1129 Posts
Likes Given: 196

I have a DW CCO. I find it easier to carry than my XD40SC (lighter & thinner). It was also surprisingly easy to shoot well. I did as well at the weekly pin match with it, as I did with the full sized 1911. Colt makes a CCO as well, & I'm sure there are others. Certainly worth investigating.
+1 on the Theis holsters. Good product, good price.

NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Old 11-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #5

Thanks for the input so far guys. Cost wise I'd like to keep it under $1,000. It shouldn't be a problem as my local gun shop is fairly priced. I just wanted to get an idea of what 1911 you guys are using for ccw and how you like them.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #6

I carry a Kimber Ultra II Crimson Trace and a Kimber Ultra II raptor. Not at the same time of course. I also have a Beretta PX4 Storm that I like to carry too. No matter what pistol you decide on, make sure it feels right to you. That will be the deciding factor above everything else. No matter what anyone recommends, it all comes down to what you feel comfortable with. Good luck with your choice.

" Gun control is not about guns, it's about control "

" American by birth, Southern by the grace of God "

Old 11-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It depends on the person mainly for CCW. I carry my Springfield 1911A1 Mil-Spec during the fall/winter, because I'm 6'4 so I can easily conceal a full size 1911, which is what a prefer. I recommend looking at Springfield and Colt. Not to hit on Kimber I just don't like the fact of only getting a 1 year warranty from them and their prices I find are too high.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 11-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #8

Another vote for the Dan Wesson CCO here. It's a bit over your $1,000, but well worth it. Alternatively, take a look at the Colt CCO. It should be just a bit less expensive, but I'm sure very capable. The CCO combines the smaller Officer's frame with the Commander size slide and handles and conceals very well.

-- boomenshutzen

"If some monster tries to rape or murder a woman I care about, I don’t want him to see the flickering light of a candle. I want him to see a muzzle flash, from the front." -- Massad Ayoob

Old 11-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

Keep an eye on used weapons too. In my experience you have 2 classes of 1911 guys. You have one side of the equation who love shooting these guns and will put lots of rounds through them and you have the other side who love to look at the guns and put them in the safe almost never actually firing them. I found a couple really beautiful Colts and one S&W at the local shop for a couple hundred bucks cheaper than the factory new ones but there was no wear on the slides or issues in the finish so I felt they represent a much higher value than the brand new ones. My hang up though is that Iown guns to shoot em and .45 is kinda pricey for the amount of shooting I like to do...

Old 11-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #10

Colt new agent.