Bersa Thunder? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Bersa Thunder?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1495 Times on 1013 Posts
Likes Given: 520

I run nothing but bulk ammo through my JA-22. The Jennings might hang one magazine in 10. I would try some CCI mini mags. If it still hangs you need to find someone who can fix a Bersa 22. All 22LR semi auto pistols have an achilles heel. Once you find the achilles heel you can fix most malfunctioning pistols of a given brand.

Good luck finding the problem. I found the problem with most Hi Point products of any caliber or type. Since then I have lost track of all the Hi Point pistols I have around here. I bought all of them under $50. Some had not fired a box of ammo. You might end up owning most of the bersa pistols in your area once you can fix one.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 11-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3725 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillWork4Ammo
Have you checked your magazines?Try only loading 7 or 8 rounds and see how that works.Maybe the spring is binding or the follower is catching somewhere.Sometimes the rounds get all decaboblated in the magazine.Yeah,sometimes 22.LR in semi-autos can be a pain in the a**.My Mossberg 715T tactical 22 gave me hell until I took apart the 25 round magazines and tweaked them a bit.
We only have one magazine, and no we usually load it to all 10 rounds. Next time we shoot we'll down-load it a few and see if that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
I run nothing but bulk ammo through my JA-22. The Jennings might hang one magazine in 10. I would try some CCI mini mags. If it still hangs you need to find someone who can fix a Bersa 22. All 22LR semi auto pistols have an achilles heel. Once you find the achilles heel you can fix most malfunctioning pistols of a given brand. Good luck finding the problem. I found the problem with most Hi Point products of any caliber or type. Since then I have lost track of all the Hi Point pistols I have around here. I bought all of them under $50. Some had not fired a box of ammo. You might end up owning most of the bersa pistols in your area once you can fix one.
I'm too cheap to buy CCI mini mags. To me, the point of shooting a 22 at all is to have fun economically. I don't wanna spend gobs of money on 22 ammo. I'd rather buy a 22 revolver and only run bulk crappy ammo through it.

We sent it in once, and it came back slightly better. We will probably send it in again in the next year or so.

Always have clean socks.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-05-2013, 11:33 PM   #23

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I only have the 22lr version. It seems to like Rem Golden Bullets much better than Fed bulk pac. Somebody mentioned to me that the Golden bullets are almost microscopicaly smaller and that is the reason they work a great deal better. I get an occasional failure to eject or a strike that does not light off but I feed it nothing but the Remingtons. It is a fun gun for the range and if you get good with it you will be better with most other guns. Just my opinion.

"Honey, can I buy another gun?" "Why another gun?" "I just figured out that I am two guns short of never enough!"

Old 11-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #24

Liked 486 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 106

As others have said, don't judge the reliability of the Thunder based on the .22 version. Even the best .22 autos I have fired eventually have a failure just because you'll eventually find a round that has a rim too hard to effectively discharge the primer, or a slide won't quite recoil all the way because of the low pressure of 22 LR, or the feed ramp doesn't quite smoothly load because one of the rounds is ever so slightly malformed. The ONLY way I'd carry .22 for defense would be in a revolver, so at least I can pull the trigger and move onto the next round in the cylinder.

I've fired the .380 Bersa Thunder with the single-stack grip. Absolutely loved it and was extremely accurate for such a small pistol. Only gripe was the magazine release location and firing from double-action never got me where I wanted it.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 11-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #25

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

The Bersa .22 needs high velocity ammo to cycle it properly. There are exceptions to this. Some report it operating fine on bulk ammo after theirs was well broken in (500-1000) rounds, but not everyone. My wife's would only shoot Remington Golden Bullet in the 225 bulk box. We tried 6-7 different brands, including CCI Mini Mags & no go.

Then I started checking the bullet when the other brands when they didn't chamber & when they did, then also checked the Remington when did chamber & found what seemed to be the problem. The Remington bullet seems to be loose in the case. You can turn it & it also flexes almost to the extent that you'd think they would fall out, yet they don't. When I checked rounds that had chambered, I found tiny nicks in them, but in different spots on the lead. The bullet in other brands are rigid & unmoving in the case. When I checked these when they did not chamber, or the few times they did chamber, There was a gouge partially around the bullet, always at it's base.

This told me the bullet was hitting a sharp edge on the way into the chamber. Since the gouge on the other brands was always in the same spot & extended around the base of the bullet, it led me to think it was the sharp edge of the chamber opening. The bullet in the Remington, being able to flex, allowed it to be chambered & the little nicks in the bullet appeared in different positions.

I took a cone shaped dremel bit & spinning it BY HAND, just barely put a chamfer in the opening into the chamber. Since then, she has been able to add several more brands to her arsenal of ammo that cycle okay. Still not perfect, but much better. Others have reported similar problem with the sharp edge on the little ledge just prior to entering the chamber. If this is your issue, it will appear as a tiny nick in the bullet, not a long one around the lead.

Another common cause has already been mentioned, the magazine. As you load the magazine, carefully watch the upward slant of the top round. If it starts flattening out, the mag is the problem. With all 10 rounds loaded, the mag inserted in the pistol & the slide locked back, the top round should have an upward slant & be pointed at the chamber.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:18 AM   #26

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts

My wife has the Bersa thunder 380cc personally great gun she loves it. However after 50 or so rounds every mag full the last round stands up in the magazine... Without fail... Any ideas why could be going on?

Old 06-20-2014, 12:33 AM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsGodAndCountry View Post
I'm seeing a lot of you guys recommending the bersa Thunder in .380 but I've gotta say, we have the thunder in .22 and its just about the least reliable gun we have. I realize we are mostly running cheap bulk ammo through it but even the first magazine after a cleaning is unlikely to make it through without a failure. What gives? Is the .380 better? I mean, I'd hope so given all the recommendations that some of you are throwing out for it.
Bersa is good deal in my book...My wife's Thunder with CT is a winner! Now if we can just get some .380 ammo at a reasonable price!

Old 06-20-2014, 09:09 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1495 Times on 1013 Posts
Likes Given: 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjohns3 View Post
Bersa is good deal in my book...My wife's Thunder with CT is a winner! Now if we can just get some .380 ammo at a reasonable price!
Here is good deal on 380 ammo. I have never done business with this vendor. Do your part, check the BBB to make sure they have happy customers. Fiocchi FMJ 380 ammo is good for both target practice and self defense. If you want a smaller amount or another vendor use www.ammoseek.com . You will find that 250 rounds is a good value, shipping is just a couple dollars more than buying one or two boxes.

http://www.ammomenllc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12&cP ath=1#xml

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 06-21-2014, 05:13 AM   #29

Liked 26 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My daughter bought her first gun 2 yrs ago. On my recommendation, she got the Bersa Thunder 380. She loves it.
I have owned 3 of them over the yrs, which is why I recommended it to her. I have never had a failure to feed, fire or extract with any of the Bersa weapons.
She has since picked up a Gen 4 Glock 26 in 9MM. She likes the feel of the Bersa better, and enjoys shooting it more.
We were just talking about her picking up a new Glock 42 in 380. I think she will like that one as well.

As others have said, all 22LR can be finicky with ammo. You just have to try a bunch to find the fave for your Bersa 22.

As always, stay safe.

NRA
GT (Member of Bull Dawgs Club/Big Dawgs Club)
GSSF
USCCA
DC
PAFOA
DEF. HANDGUNS
AMERICAN GUN OWNERS
CONCEALED CARRY
*Concealed means...Concealed!

Old 06-24-2014, 03:45 AM   #30

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

Not to go off topic too far, but, concerning 22lr semiautomatics, I've found several to have issues reliably feeding and/or firing many popular rounds, even the famed CCI.

Then I found Remington Subsonic. Any gun failing with any other 22lr round worked flawlessly with this Subsonic cartridge. For me a 22 is simply a plinker... a fun gun to enjoy shooting between the big boys, giving my hands a rest.

As for the Bersa Thunder series, I've handled and shot the 380 and 9mm, but ate everything they were fed, including tula and other cheapos, regardless the casing metal used.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 06-24-2014 at 07:01 AM.