Bersa Thunder? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Bersa Thunder?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsGodAndCountry View Post
We sent it in once but it isn't any better now than it was before.
I guess I would have to try different ammo until I found a brand & weight that was reliable.

Others may disagree, but I look at .22LR as squirrel-killing or target-plinking ammo, nothing more. I love it for the cheap plinking fodder, but I wouldn't count on it for defensive use unless I had nothing else.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 459 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post

I guess I would have to try different ammo until I found a brand & weight that was reliable.

Others may disagree, but I look at .22LR as squirrel-killing or target-plinking ammo, nothing more. I love it for the cheap plinking fodder, but I wouldn't count on it for defensive use unless I had nothing else.
Its meant to be a fun gun to take to the range, its just a little frustrating.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Old 11-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsGodAndCountry View Post
Its meant to be a fun gun to take to the range, its just a little frustrating.
Try to think of it as "stoppage training". On the range, it doesn't reeeeeeally matter if you have to stop, tap, rack, and resume.

Honestly, the next .22LR I buy will be a revolver, to avoid the potential auto-feeding issues.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 11-01-2013, 11:58 PM   #14

Liked 1845 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

I had the 380. It was very dependable. But I like something bigger. I still have their 45. Both were totally dependable.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 459 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post

Try to think of it as "stoppage training". On the range, it doesn't reeeeeeally matter if you have to stop, tap, rack, and resume.

Honestly, the next .22LR I buy will be a revolver, to avoid the potential auto-feeding issues.
Its an awful lot of stoppage training lol

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Old 11-02-2013, 12:13 AM   #16

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

22's are a little funny how they want to work. You can have three of the same pistol in front of you and all three can like a different flavor of ammo. 22 semi autos have mostly been known as finicky and that has always kept me from using one as a SD pistol.
It's this reason I refuse to look at the performance of a 22 as an example of how a gun maker performs.

As a less expensive 380 goes the Bersa is a pretty good pistol. There are better out there but you are going to pay accordingly. I will strongly advise though that lokingot come in as cheap as possible is the wrong way to think when looking at a personal defense pistol. People should get the best they can and still justify the cost.
The Bersa pistols do many times require a break in period t get them to going 100% but this is not a stead fast rule. The ones I've had did need a little time to get into a groove and fire at 155%. But I have seen them come right tout of the box and after cleaning that factory oil spill out of them they did great with no failures at all. Usually I will tell friends to expect to have to put 50-100 rounds through them before the little buggers calm down. Then if it's not the case you are just that much happier.

My biggest beef with the 380 in general is cost of the ammo. I just feel it's better for me anyway to get a 9mm. But everyone has their choices and that's why we have SO MANY to choose from today

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #17

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

two bersa thunder CC 380 models in the family Both very reliable. Want issues buy the walther for 2 1/2 times as much. Feed your 22 version quality ammo and do a little polishing on the feed ramp and chamber a see a big difference. Can't expect a small 22 to be to good at its best regardless of make but you can make it very close to reliable. .

Old 11-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1600 Times on 1095 Posts
Likes Given: 555

the thunder isn't really a compact pistol. It is very heavy compared to most 380 pistols. It's reliable but there are are a lot of reliable 9mm pistols that are the same size. People that are recoil sensitive might like the thunder for a range gun. Once the adrenaline starts flowing in a SD situation you won't notice the recoil of a larger caliber. My ears ring like crazy if I shoot a deer rifle without hearing protection. When I actually shoot a deer my ears don't ring. My body isn't releasing nearly the amount of adrenaline when hunting that it would in a life or death situation.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 11-05-2013, 02:57 AM   #19

Liked 128 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Have you checked your magazines?Try only loading 7 or 8 rounds and see how that works.Maybe the spring is binding or the follower is catching somewhere.Sometimes the rounds get all decaboblated in the magazine.Yeah,sometimes 22.LR in semi-autos can be a pain in the a**.My Mossberg 715T tactical 22 gave me hell until I took apart the 25 round magazines and tweaked them a bit.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:18 AM   #20
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

the Bersa Thunder 380 is a nice compact pistol. my wife has one and loves shooting it. so far it's been very reliable and a pretty decent little pistol. even loaded it's not heavy, even with it being a steel framed pistol. the only drawback is the stiff recoil spring.