Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Beretta Bobcat 21 Jamming Constantly (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/beretta-bobcat-21-jamming-constantly-74855/)

jefferis 10-22-2012 07:24 PM

Beretta Bobcat 21 Jamming Constantly

Unfortunately, I have to revise my previous opinion:mad: of the Beretta Bobcat, and downgrade it. From our experience, we can no longer recommend it as a reliable, concealed carry option. From my research online, we are not the only ones to have experienced a jamming problem with this model pistol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1hJ4S8LnHE?rel=0
This brand new, .22 caliber, Beretta Bobcat 21 has been sent back to the factory twice to fix a jamming problem. We've used the recommended ammunition: Winchester Wildcats and CCI Stingers, and various other versions and brands, all with the same result: this pistol constantly jams. We have followed the recommended oiling and cleaning, but nothing works. The pistol fails often to fire; it fails to eject. This video is our test after getting the gun back after the second factory "service." We are very disappointed.

I'm interested to know if the higher caliber versions (.25 and .32 Tomcat) are more reliable due to increased powder.

My previous hopeful "review" is here.

Tackleberry1 10-22-2012 08:39 PM

I would expect either the .25 or .32 to be infinitely more reliable than the .22LR

Both the .25 ACP and the .32 ACP are actually auto pistol calibers. The .22LR is not.

The .22LR, like every other round that was designed for a revolver has an extraction lip at the base of the round that is larger in diameter than the cartridge itself. This is necessary in a revolver so the fresh cartridges will not fall clean through the cylinder, however, when chambered in ANY auto pistol, these extraction lips prove to be non conducive to reliable function because the lips want to hang up on anything they encounter as they slide along one another during the feeding, firing, and ejecting processes.

Many gun makers have sought solutions to this problem as it prohibits most magnum chamberings in semi auto pistols.

Guns such as the AMT Auto Mag, Desert Eagle, Coonan .357, and scores of others have and do produce auto pistols in revolver chamberings and some do work quite well such as Ruger's excellent line of .22 target pistols.

While all of these are fun to shoot, Personally, I would never trust my life to one by using it in a defensive gun role. The inherent mechanical failure potential is simply too high and the potential only increases as the gun gets smaller.

I'm sorry about your disappointment and recommend either steping your auto pistol up to a service grade caliber or if .22LR is a must, going with one of the excellent little revolvers on the market such as the Ruger LCR .22

Good Luck

Tack

gunsmoke11 10-23-2012 02:45 AM

When I retired in the 80's I purchased the Beretta model 21A. It had just come out and I grew tired of packing larger guns in the summer and wanted something to throw in my pocket. It was good looking with a very nice grip and being da was real nice. Though I knew guns, this was a big mistake. For the first couple of years I didn't shoot it, but originally I purchased Federal high velocity ammo that worked fine. Eventually when I shot other .22's it ftf numerous times and after that I never trusted it. There's no extractor and those tip up barrels are useless when the shell casing gets stuck. I did carry it once in a while using the Federal, but eventually I traded it to a friend of mine who owned a gunshop and bought the NAA .32. Those .22's all stink as your only weapon where concealed carry is concerned. Any .25, or .32 and 380 would be a great improvement. My NAA's has never jammed, or failed to fire in over 10 years. These all work better than a .22. Colt 1908 .25 and NAA .32.
http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/...psd96a95c7.jpg
http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/...F/P1010069.jpg

jefferis 10-23-2012 12:21 PM

Thanks guys. I appreciate the insights and explanation. Our friend, the lady in the video, has carpal tunnel, and has trouble with any slide. We were trying to find the right solution for her with a semi-auto. She has a Ruger LCR 38 but, like me, her accuracy with a revolver is not what we think is reliable enough for concealed carry. (I know for me, I am always thrown off by the trigger pull weight and torque it to the right). We thought this 22 would be the perfect solution, small and handy.

After our experience with this Beretta, we weren't so sure about the design itself. From what I read, that while the .25 and the .32 Tomcat are more reliable, they too have a tendency to jam... Just type in http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Tomcat+32+jam&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 into Google and see similar experiences to ours.

Thought about the RugerŪ 22/45™ with high velocity ammo, since it has that snap back slide which she can do, although it is a little big for concealed carry. My friends at the gun store think HV 22 at close range is actually sometimes better than a .32 because it goes in and rattles around, whereas they have seen a .32 stopped by a leather jacket. The 22 has more penetrating power, they said.

wagon06 04-10-2013 02:23 AM

Also have a Bobcat...and was experiencing issues similar to this. Fixed it entirely by cleaning it regularly. I started out using Stingers which I think helped break it in but after giving it a good cleaning and then spraying all the parts down with Rem Oil it'll shoot Federal rounds as fast as I can pull the trigger. How many rounds have you put through yours? The little gun definitely needs to be broken in.

danf_fl 04-10-2013 11:51 AM

.22lr in a small semi-auto is also weather sensitive.
And enough lubrication (and thorough cleaning) is important.

My PPK/s works with any .22 during the summer, but starts to get picky when the weather cools.

jefferis 04-10-2013 01:28 PM

Well, the good news is that Beretta completely replaced the gun. We haven't fired enough to break it in completely, but so far, no jams.
Now that the weather is breaking, we'll get out and run some ammo through it.

wagon06 04-11-2013 11:11 PM

Glad to hear it

SSGN_Doc 04-11-2013 11:31 PM

I have had an older Beretta 21A for many years. It seems to be relaible with CCI Stingers, and Velocitor ammo. It has beccome more reliable with other high velocity ammo over time, but I found I had to use the hottest ammo for the first couple hundred rounds early in it's life.

I still use mostly hyper-velocity ammo just as peace of mind from my earliest experience with it. I have seen examples that were not as reliable as mine. so, it seems there are some that are more particular.

levelcross 04-12-2013 06:45 PM

I also have an older Bobcat, I only run CCI Stingers thru it. It was well broken in when I got it so all I had to do was clean it thoroughly as it was nasty when I got it and figure out which ammo it likes. Then after every 50 rounds it will seem to want to act up somewhat, give it a bath and all is well again.