belt clip vs holster
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > belt clip vs holster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 01:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default belt clip vs holster

I've read on many sites that the Kel Tec belt holster is a MUST. However, im used to holsters. I've only open carried, so far. What would you guys recommend?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2013, 04:54 AM   #2

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

I prefer holsters over clips because I pocket carry, but honestly I wouldn't hesitate in doing either for IWB if I were so inclined. I guess if I were going to iwb it would be with the clip. I hate iwb holsters, find them all lacking in comfort. At least with the clip it would eliminate the extra bulk a holster adds, which is usually alot!

Old 04-17-2013, 05:25 AM   #3

True, but its not as easy to re holster. I would imagine that its more comfortable. But my other concern is that my p11 is DAO and my class highly recommended against any holster that doesn't have a trigger guard. Is that not a concern since its inside the pants?

Old 04-17-2013, 05:42 AM   #4

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerd71 View Post
Is that not a concern since its inside the pants?
It is a concern.

With a holster the likelihood of an AD/ND is lessened. To what degree is arguable, but less nonetheless. I guess I have to recommend erring on the side of caution.

I'd try the clip first, to get a feel for it and see for myself. I almost never trust anything anyone says in such things or take others' opinions for anything more than that, face value... an opinion. Sometimes I find I concur, many I do not. Because of that it's always worth finding out for myself.

An argument I've always had was that if the gun is tucked on the underside of the pant or belt is the trigger not covered? Against the pressure of your waist on the other side how likely is it really that something is going to sneak in and pull that ridiculously long trigger all the way through?

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 04-17-2013 at 05:47 AM.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:08 AM   #5

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

As a personal choice I would never carry a gun with one of those belt clips. I don't trust them. A properly designed holster holds the gun at a consistent angle, provided at least some protection from sweat, and yes it covers the trigger which I consider imperative wit a gun like the Glock without a manual safety.

YMMV.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:13 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1009 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 221

not only a proper holster, but a proper gun belt.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #7

I agree with the sweat part. Even though its called a belt clip, to me, it would make more sense to wear the actual clip on the waist band instead of the belt. The belt still has retention, but there's no awkward clip. An outside clip is a dead giveaway if you know what you're looking for. That kind of defeats the purpose of conceal.

Its a crapshoot...most concealment or a little extra security. I'm not worried so much about not having a safety. Even with my reduced trigger pull, it's still at 7 lbs and has about 1" travel.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #8

Liked 2007 Times on 1107 Posts
Likes Given: 1342

I would never carry a chambered round without the trigger completely covered. That is all I really think about that.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

JimRau Likes This 
Old 08-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #9

So, I purchased a IWB holster, but I ordered one with 1/8th worth of padding. that 1/8th inch makes a huge difference in concealability. I will order ont of the thinner type. they look cheaper, but I understand why its thinner now. Are the thinner ones hard to reholster? The padded one was rigid enough to hold slightly open, but i figured the thinner ones would fully collapse.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2067 Times on 1224 Posts
Likes Given: 1007

I have been CC for 45+ years and the one thing I can tell you is 'we' are all different. What I like and works for me is not always prefered by others. You MUST experiment and see what works best for you. Personally I can't use the 'inside the pants' or a paddle holsters. For my anatomy they just don't work.
So if you know someone, like me, who has tried MANY options and may have some hosters you can try do so. Holsters have gotten VERY expensive so experimentation can get expensive!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!