Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   belt clip vs holster (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/belt-clip-vs-holster-88957/)

cerd71 04-17-2013 12:46 AM

belt clip vs holster

I've read on many sites that the Kel Tec belt holster is a MUST. However, im used to holsters. I've only open carried, so far. What would you guys recommend?

BeyondTheBox 04-17-2013 03:54 AM

I prefer holsters over clips because I pocket carry, but honestly I wouldn't hesitate in doing either for IWB if I were so inclined. I guess if I were going to iwb it would be with the clip. I hate iwb holsters, find them all lacking in comfort. At least with the clip it would eliminate the extra bulk a holster adds, which is usually alot!

cerd71 04-17-2013 04:25 AM

True, but its not as easy to re holster. I would imagine that its more comfortable. But my other concern is that my p11 is DAO and my class highly recommended against any holster that doesn't have a trigger guard. Is that not a concern since its inside the pants?

BeyondTheBox 04-17-2013 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cerd71 (Post 1216546)
Is that not a concern since its inside the pants?

It is a concern.

With a holster the likelihood of an AD/ND is lessened. To what degree is arguable, but less nonetheless. I guess I have to recommend erring on the side of caution.

I'd try the clip first, to get a feel for it and see for myself. I almost never trust anything anyone says in such things or take others' opinions for anything more than that, face value... an opinion. Sometimes I find I concur, many I do not. Because of that it's always worth finding out for myself.

An argument I've always had was that if the gun is tucked on the underside of the pant or belt is the trigger not covered? Against the pressure of your waist on the other side how likely is it really that something is going to sneak in and pull that ridiculously long trigger all the way through?

mdauben 04-18-2013 12:08 AM

As a personal choice I would never carry a gun with one of those belt clips. I don't trust them. A properly designed holster holds the gun at a consistent angle, provided at least some protection from sweat, and yes it covers the trigger which I consider imperative wit a gun like the Glock without a manual safety.

YMMV.

partdeux 04-18-2013 12:13 AM

not only a proper holster, but a proper gun belt.

cerd71 04-18-2013 12:40 PM

I agree with the sweat part. Even though its called a belt clip, to me, it would make more sense to wear the actual clip on the waist band instead of the belt. The belt still has retention, but there's no awkward clip. An outside clip is a dead giveaway if you know what you're looking for. That kind of defeats the purpose of conceal.

Its a crapshoot...most concealment or a little extra security. I'm not worried so much about not having a safety. Even with my reduced trigger pull, it's still at 7 lbs and has about 1" travel.

Rick1967 04-18-2013 01:01 PM

I would never carry a chambered round without the trigger completely covered. That is all I really think about that.

cerd71 08-14-2013 03:13 PM

So, I purchased a IWB holster, but I ordered one with 1/8th worth of padding. that 1/8th inch makes a huge difference in concealability. I will order ont of the thinner type. they look cheaper, but I understand why its thinner now. Are the thinner ones hard to reholster? The padded one was rigid enough to hold slightly open, but i figured the thinner ones would fully collapse.

JimRau 08-14-2013 04:11 PM

I have been CC for 45+ years and the one thing I can tell you is 'we' are all different. What I like and works for me is not always prefered by others. You MUST experiment and see what works best for you. Personally I can't use the 'inside the pants' or a paddle holsters. For my anatomy they just don't work.:(
So if you know someone, like me, who has tried MANY options and may have some hosters you can try do so. Holsters have gotten VERY expensive so experimentation can get expensive!!!:eek: