Ballistic gel vs. real world - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Ballistic gel vs. real world

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2014, 05:46 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

My take on it is like this.

Since BGs don't like to work in front of crowds,

there is generally not a lot of innocent bystanders to shoot into,

when defending yourself from BGs. So why not just use FMJs?

Old 07-20-2014, 06:44 AM   #12

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
My take on it is like this.

Since BGs don't like to work in front of crowds,

there is generally not a lot of innocent bystanders to shoot into,

when defending yourself from BGs. So why not just use FMJs?
When ammo was hard to find I bought some federal hi shok ammo. I paid $17 for the hollow points at a time when $15 for a box FMJ ammo was average. My gun was much more accurate with the HP ammo. I still shoot FMJ ammo for practice. But in a match I would spend the extra couple dollars for HP ammo. In SD I want the hottest HP ammo I can find. All of my guns are rated for +P+ ammo. They shoot +P+ accurately, so that is what I use.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:03 PM   #13
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7790 Times on 3987 Posts
Likes Given: 8876

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreadnought View Post
So how closely does ballistic gel penetration actually mirror real world penetration?

I'd hate to feel confident in a round/weapon combo that tests out to 14" + penetration, only to discover, too late, that agains a live target it goes 6" and stops before hitting anything vital.

Also, has anybody done any gel penetration tests behind barriers, like a 2x4 or something? I feel the ability to hit targets behind soft cover is something you would need to know about in a SD situation!
6" of penetration puts every vital organ you might want to hit in range on anyone but a 400Lb Thug, a Moose or a Bear (USA Threats in the wild). Honestly, unless your big game hunting, anything bigger than a 22 (and even a 22) has been proven lethal 1000 times in real world testing with living organisms.

When your talking Humans, unless they have armor plating, a small round is very capable of delivering the knockdown punch if your capable of putting it on target. If your trying to shoot through cover on someone concealed, your likely better off retrograding instead of shooting blind.

Bigger is great when bigger is with you but bigger often doesnt conceal well and unless your a well practiced shooter, not the SD weapon of choice for most people.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
When your talking Humans, unless they have armor plating, a small round is very capable of delivering the knockdown punch if your capable of putting it on target. If your trying to shoot through cover on someone concealed, your likely better off retrograding instead of shooting blind.

I live in a renovated loft in a historical building. Once an intruder has entered the loft, he is standing between me and the one way in and out of the space. My wife is in the bedroom behind me. The only person downrange is the bad guy. The building owners do live across the hall, but the arrangement of their place is such that they will 99% likely be out of the line of fire, (or not home at all).

So I'm considering .45 ACP FMJ as my home defense round, for maximum penetration with an already large sized bullet. Or a good 9mm JHP. I just was wondering if the BG takes cover, can I nail him through the cover he takes. There's not much that would serve as hard cover. Mostly just soft cover/concealment.

Best he could do is a 12" x 12" 100 year old maple post. . . but doubt he could completely hide behind that.

My bedroom is the door to the right with the sign over it.

If you look closely you can just see the entrance next to the small black table lamp at the far end. It's kinda hidden behind the corner/post.

Last edited by TheDreadnought; 07-20-2014 at 01:30 PM.