Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Background Check

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default Background Check

I'm out of work and I've been applying a lot of places. More and more places run background checks on people. It got me wondering, when they run a background check does it report to them that I'm a CCW holder?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #2

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Will depend on your state. In Texas, they can not get that info. May be different there.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:29 AM   #3

Hmm....

I hope not. I'm beginning to wonder if it's effecting my ability to get a job. I wonder how I would find that out.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:38 AM   #4

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have been a Utah-Wyoming Certified Inst. for 20 years. The state of Utah would not give out this kind of information. This does not mean that some firm who gathers private information for sale could not find out. They may get info from friends or people you have told.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:43 AM   #5

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
Hmm....

I hope not. I'm beginning to wonder if it's effecting my ability to get a job. I wonder how I would find that out.
That would be unfortunate for them if that were true. Having already passed a background check, mental health record investigation and criminal history investigation an employer should welcome a CCW holder as an upstanding citizen.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 03-06-2012 at 02:07 AM.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
I have been a Utah-Wyoming Certified Inst. for 20 years. The state of Utah would not give out this kind of information. This does not mean that some firm who gathers private information for sale could not find out. They may get info from friends or people you have told.
Well, that's some good news. The only people that know I carry are people I trust not to say anything to anyone else. But I guess you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
That would be unfortunate for them if that were true. Having already passed a background check, mental health record investigation and criminal history investigation an employee should welcome a CCW holder as an upstanding citizen.
If I were an employer that's how I look at it. That would always be a plus to me.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:07 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8315 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

Background checks for employment GENERALLY include a check of criminal convictions, traffic violations, and credit history (last is usually for jobs handling money) A very few jobs with a bonafide security interest will do a full background investigation, including interviews with neighbors, teachers, former employers and co-workers, etc.

Frankly that is expensive as hell, and rarely used for non-government/ non-nuclear jobs. Apply for a job at Dugway, Dyno Nobel, Tooele, etc- that is a different matter.

And to get that, you usually sign a release giving your permission for their access.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:22 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon
I'm out of work and I've been applying a lot of places. More and more places run background checks on people. It got me wondering, when they run a background check does it report to them that I'm a CCW holder?
I work for a company who does background checks. The reason fingerprinted allows them to only show reason you can't get your job with previous convections. They can't release any additional information other than what is needed for your employment. CCW application is a whole different beast of its own.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:32 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apowers1214

I work for a company who does background checks. The reason fingerprinted allows them to only show reason you can't get your job with previous convections. They can't release any additional information other than what is needed for your employment. CCW application is a whole different beast of its own.
When I saw background checks I mean fingerprint based not the name and social search most go through. Sorry for not clearing that up.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2615 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Background checks for employment GENERALLY include a check of criminal convictions, traffic violations, and credit history (last is usually for jobs handling money) A very few jobs with a bonafide security interest will do a full background investigation, including interviews with neighbors, teachers, former employers and co-workers, etc.

Frankly that is expensive as hell, and rarely used for non-government/ non-nuclear jobs. Apply for a job at Dugway, Dyno Nobel, Tooele, etc- that is a different matter.
In my area, there are government contractor jobs that require background checks. A lot of employers use the different job advertisement sites (monster.com or careerbuilder.com)
Add to this foreign travel, foreign contacts, organizations or associations one belongs to, and past employment.

For those that are interested in filling out the 127 page form:
http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF86.pdf

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Last edited by danf_fl; 03-06-2012 at 09:29 AM.