Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Background Check (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/background-check-59520/)

Polygon 03-05-2012 09:39 PM

Background Check

I'm out of work and I've been applying a lot of places. More and more places run background checks on people. It got me wondering, when they run a background check does it report to them that I'm a CCW holder?

gollygee 03-05-2012 11:07 PM

Will depend on your state. In Texas, they can not get that info. May be different there.

Polygon 03-06-2012 01:29 AM

Hmm....

I hope not. I'm beginning to wonder if it's effecting my ability to get a job. I wonder how I would find that out.

Durangokid 03-06-2012 01:38 AM

I have been a Utah-Wyoming Certified Inst. for 20 years. The state of Utah would not give out this kind of information. This does not mean that some firm who gathers private information for sale could not find out. They may get info from friends or people you have told.:mad::(

Jpyle 03-06-2012 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polygon (Post 730273)
Hmm....

I hope not. I'm beginning to wonder if it's effecting my ability to get a job. I wonder how I would find that out.

That would be unfortunate for them if that were true. Having already passed a background check, mental health record investigation and criminal history investigation an employer should welcome a CCW holder as an upstanding citizen.

Polygon 03-06-2012 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durangokid (Post 730278)
I have been a Utah-Wyoming Certified Inst. for 20 years. The state of Utah would not give out this kind of information. This does not mean that some firm who gathers private information for sale could not find out. They may get info from friends or people you have told.:mad::(

Well, that's some good news. The only people that know I carry are people I trust not to say anything to anyone else. But I guess you never know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 730285)
That would be unfortunate for them if that were true. Having already passed a background check, mental health record investigation and criminal history investigation an employee should welcome a CCW holder as an upstanding citizen.

If I were an employer that's how I look at it. That would always be a plus to me.

c3shooter 03-06-2012 02:07 AM

Background checks for employment GENERALLY include a check of criminal convictions, traffic violations, and credit history (last is usually for jobs handling money) A very few jobs with a bonafide security interest will do a full background investigation, including interviews with neighbors, teachers, former employers and co-workers, etc.

Frankly that is expensive as hell, and rarely used for non-government/ non-nuclear jobs. Apply for a job at Dugway, Dyno Nobel, Tooele, etc- that is a different matter.

And to get that, you usually sign a release giving your permission for their access.

apowers1214 03-06-2012 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polygon
I'm out of work and I've been applying a lot of places. More and more places run background checks on people. It got me wondering, when they run a background check does it report to them that I'm a CCW holder?

I work for a company who does background checks. The reason fingerprinted allows them to only show reason you can't get your job with previous convections. They can't release any additional information other than what is needed for your employment. CCW application is a whole different beast of its own.

apowers1214 03-06-2012 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apowers1214

I work for a company who does background checks. The reason fingerprinted allows them to only show reason you can't get your job with previous convections. They can't release any additional information other than what is needed for your employment. CCW application is a whole different beast of its own.

When I saw background checks I mean fingerprint based not the name and social search most go through. Sorry for not clearing that up.

danf_fl 03-06-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 730302)
Background checks for employment GENERALLY include a check of criminal convictions, traffic violations, and credit history (last is usually for jobs handling money) A very few jobs with a bonafide security interest will do a full background investigation, including interviews with neighbors, teachers, former employers and co-workers, etc.

Frankly that is expensive as hell, and rarely used for non-government/ non-nuclear jobs. Apply for a job at Dugway, Dyno Nobel, Tooele, etc- that is a different matter.

In my area, there are government contractor jobs that require background checks. A lot of employers use the different job advertisement sites (monster.com or careerbuilder.com)
Add to this foreign travel, foreign contacts, organizations or associations one belongs to, and past employment.

For those that are interested in filling out the 127 page form:
http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF86.pdf