Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Back up carry (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/back-up-carry-75462/)

Dionysus03 11-01-2012 09:11 PM

Back up carry
 
Does anybody here carry multiple weapons/firearms? If so I'm wondering if both are the same caliber or if they are different. I'm asking because I carry either an XDM 9mm or a 1911 .45acp depending on the situation but am thinking of getting a subcompact as a backup.

c3shooter 11-01-2012 09:18 PM

When I was an LEO, there were times that I DID carry a backup. My service weapon was a revolver, and I carried a smaller revolver as a hideout gun. They were both in the same caliber.

However, I have LONG been retired, and do not chase bad folks for a living. My goal in life is to make it difficult for THEM to chase me (ever tried to run with a sucking chest wound?) and I do NOT carry a backup gun.

Some of my co-workers also carried a hideout gun- they tended to be very small, and would fit under a notebook in a hip pocket. The High Standard 22 Mag derringer was one popular gun for that purpose.

vincent 11-01-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dionysus03 (Post 998268)
Does anybody here carry multiple weapons/firearms? If so I'm wondering if both are the same caliber or if they are different. I'm asking because I carry either an XDM 9mm or a 1911 .45acp depending on the situation but am thinking of getting a subcompact as a backup.

One is none, two is one...so on on and so forth...

There is a .45 IWB and a .357 on my ankle...If I can't get the job done in 18 shots, it probably just wasn't meant to be...:cool:

KG7IL 11-01-2012 09:32 PM

Not usually

But I did when I worked night shift downtown Seattle years ago.

SW Mod19 primary, Sterling 302 (22lr) secondary. . . . .

Donn 11-01-2012 09:43 PM

Guess I see the question a little differently. I'd consider my 1911 or M&P as backup for my AR or 870. Otherwise, under normal circumstances, one gun with a double stack mag should do.

KG7IL 11-01-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donn (Post 998314)
Guess I see the question a little differently. I'd consider my 1911 or M&P as backup for my AR or 870. Otherwise, under normal circumstances, one gun with a double stack mag should do.

I find it troublesome to carry an AR or 870 all the time.

jjfuller1 11-01-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KG7IL (Post 998329)
I find it troublesome to carry an AR or 870 all the time.

yeah for some reason the local PD frowns upon me walking up the street patrol style... still cant figure out why.

Dionysus03 11-01-2012 10:53 PM

Thanks guys. Haha yea I'd agree with the backup to the AR. But I think people would frown seeing me with an AR on my chest and pistol on my thigh. Not quite the same here though lol.

Dionysus03 11-01-2012 11:15 PM

In the end this has a lot to do with weak side draw. I generally carry at the 4/5 o'clock which is great for right - terrible for left. Looking for the backup to position as a weak side. Seems like most people carry a different caliber.

levelcross 11-02-2012 12:24 AM

Before my father in law claimed it, I carried a Beretta Bob Cat .22 in my left front pocket as a backup and my primary at 3-4:00. Now it is just the primary gun with 2 extra mags in .45, .40, 9mm depending on which gun I am carrying.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:34 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.