baby proofing
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > baby proofing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default baby proofing

My fiance wants a baby and I know it'll be a while befor it gets here but I want to baby proof everything early..but my Q is what are some ways I can keep my weapons out of reach of kids but still have them ready if something ever happens

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7117 Times on 4284 Posts
Likes Given: 8640

Either carry them on you or locked in a safe. That's my opinion. I would never leave a loaded gun unattended, even 4 feet from me if I had a child in the house.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #3

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Our guns are always in the safe and the kids have no idea that we carry. On occasion my son will work on or clean guns with me but has had respect for firearms drilled into him.
As far as the rest of the house, hide fire and poison. Kids are robust and learn from life lessons. Baby gates are for kids who grow up to be sissies.
Think of them less as fragile little dummies and more as clever little people and they will respond accordingly.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #4

Liked 2389 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Always in a safe. Never loaded laying around. If its not on me and holstered then it's locked up.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 06-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #5

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_boy32
My fiance wants a baby and I know it'll be a while befor it gets here but I want to baby proof everything early..but my Q is what are some ways I can keep my weapons out of reach of kids but still have them ready if something ever happens
Id say youd be ok storing it up high out of reach till the baby can walk. After that, on you all the time ir locked up.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8875 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1385

Keep your guns away from the kids.

They drool on them and get peanut butter in the checkering.

There are touchpad gun safes you can open in about 1 second. If you are broke, Harbor Freight carries a small safe for under $40. harbor-freight-safe.jpg

Plug covers for outlets, cabinet latches for kitchen and bathrooms, and NEVER think you can hide something where a kid will not find it. You are wrong.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7117 Times on 4284 Posts
Likes Given: 8640

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Plug covers for outlets, cabinet latches for kitchen and bathrooms, and NEVER think you can hide something where a kid will not find it. You are wrong.

This is very true. A touch button safe is 'safer' than one with a key because there's a chance the little ones will find the key, too.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #8

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

I agree but be careful. After a few times watching my 4.5 year old remembered and could enter our ADT code and his daycare door code.

ADT has been changes BTW.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #9

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Default Baby Proofing???

....put a rubber on it...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
unclebear Likes This 
Old 06-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #10

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I keep my long arms on my wall, and in my closet I even have a dead bolt on my closet so it's sort of a big sun safe. As far as my pistol when I get stuck over my sisters house I keep my side arm either on me or I unload it is and sleep with the mags in the top the closet, and my pistol in my lock box under the seat (I welded it to the floor) it's a finger print activated lock box so no ones getting into unless the take off my hand.

My nephews and my niece all know about guns, they know what they do. They know they can't touch them without permission. But when I was there age my dad kept his long guns above his bed on the wall he would bust my butt if I got caught touching them but it still never stopped me. So I expect my kids and even my nephews to do the same so there all unloaded and have trigger locks. I don't have kids yet but I think it's good to practice this stuff anyway.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED