Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   baby proofing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/baby-proofing-66772/)

stl_boy32 06-20-2012 11:22 AM

baby proofing

My fiance wants a baby and I know it'll be a while befor it gets here but I want to baby proof everything early..but my Q is what are some ways I can keep my weapons out of reach of kids but still have them ready if something ever happens

winds-of-change 06-20-2012 11:47 AM

Either carry them on you or locked in a safe. That's my opinion. I would never leave a loaded gun unattended, even 4 feet from me if I had a child in the house.

drew661 06-20-2012 11:52 AM

Our guns are always in the safe and the kids have no idea that we carry. On occasion my son will work on or clean guns with me but has had respect for firearms drilled into him.
As far as the rest of the house, hide fire and poison. Kids are robust and learn from life lessons. Baby gates are for kids who grow up to be sissies.
Think of them less as fragile little dummies and more as clever little people and they will respond accordingly.

kytowboater 06-20-2012 11:56 AM

Always in a safe. Never loaded laying around. If its not on me and holstered then it's locked up.

GlockRenegade 06-20-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stl_boy32
My fiance wants a baby and I know it'll be a while befor it gets here but I want to baby proof everything early..but my Q is what are some ways I can keep my weapons out of reach of kids but still have them ready if something ever happens

Id say youd be ok storing it up high out of reach till the baby can walk. After that, on you all the time ir locked up.

c3shooter 06-20-2012 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Keep your guns away from the kids.

They drool on them and get peanut butter in the checkering.

There are touchpad gun safes you can open in about 1 second. If you are broke, Harbor Freight carries a small safe for under $40. Attachment 49393

Plug covers for outlets, cabinet latches for kitchen and bathrooms, and NEVER think you can hide something where a kid will not find it. You are wrong.

winds-of-change 06-20-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 843248)
Plug covers for outlets, cabinet latches for kitchen and bathrooms, and NEVER think you can hide something where a kid will not find it. You are wrong.

This is very true. A touch button safe is 'safer' than one with a key because there's a chance the little ones will find the key, too.

drew661 06-20-2012 05:46 PM

I agree but be careful. After a few times watching my 4.5 year old remembered and could enter our ADT code and his daycare door code.

ADT has been changes BTW.

vincent 06-20-2012 06:27 PM

Baby Proofing???

....put a rubber on it...:rolleyes:

unclebear 06-20-2012 07:19 PM

I keep my long arms on my wall, and in my closet I even have a dead bolt on my closet so it's sort of a big sun safe. As far as my pistol when I get stuck over my sisters house I keep my side arm either on me or I unload it is and sleep with the mags in the top the closet, and my pistol in my lock box under the seat (I welded it to the floor) it's a finger print activated lock box so no ones getting into unless the take off my hand.

My nephews and my niece all know about guns, they know what they do. They know they can't touch them without permission. But when I was there age my dad kept his long guns above his bed on the wall he would bust my butt if I got caught touching them but it still never stopped me. So I expect my kids and even my nephews to do the same so there all unloaded and have trigger locks. I don't have kids yet but I think it's good to practice this stuff anyway.