Arizona purchase of handgun this fall. Questions.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Arizona purchase of handgun this fall. Questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 02:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Arizona purchase of handgun this fall. Questions.

Alright, so I am purchasing a handgun in October. I know in Arizona you can cc without a license. I am still going to obtain a license, however. I am familiar with handguns and rifles, I've been a regular shooter since I was 8. However, I am under 21, which I know prevents me from purchasing from a firearms dealer, only private sales. My cousin owns a pawn shop and she can get a dealer price, but would it be illegal for her to order it in the store, "purchase" it herself, or by another family member, then sell it to me?

Also, I know that since I can't cc since I am under 21, so how else can I carry it? I ride a BMW motorcycle, so there isn't anywhere else I can carry, except on person, which also includes full riding gear, of leather jacket and pants, so there is no place for it to be readily visible. Am I better off not to carry, then to carry on my bike? I work as EMS, so I have some experience with people that have used ccw's and what happens after. I'm quite considering enlisting in the military as a medic, so this may all come to nothing if that happens. When I am returning however, I will be 20, so then I will have the same questions, so may as well ask now. Does the military get special privilages for ccw? Thank you all in advance
Also, it is a Taurus Judge 7 shot revolver. Does anyone have experience with those? I've shot many Taurus guns and I prefer them over most other hand guns, excluding Glock and Sig. I hate the TSS systems, however. Is there a way to remove that?

Last edited by blittle; 07-29-2012 at 04:26 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-29-2012, 03:19 AM   #2

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

What your talking about is so close to a straw purchase that you really need to avoid it.

Best bet-check the local classifieds.

And you may just be screwed on the cc aspect. I never recommend breaking the law. I'll tell anyone I'll do it myself if I can gain from it, or if I feel I'm doing something morally right or at least neutral, but I never recommend anyone else do it. And I can't think of a way to not carry concealed on a bike, unless you just use a shoulder rig over your leathers. Mobile marine rides a bike, he may have some suggestions.

Last edited by trip286; 07-29-2012 at 03:23 AM.
blittle Likes This 
Old 07-29-2012, 03:20 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5803 Times on 3030 Posts
Likes Given: 398

yes it is illegal for your friend to do that. its called a straw purchase. people do prison time for it.

unless your a murderous mexican drug lord buying guns from obama of course.

my advice wait until your 21

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 07-29-2012, 04:09 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9202 Times on 3970 Posts
Likes Given: 1440

Yep. 'Nother vote for strawman sale- you won't be enlisting with the felony conviction.

Military privileges for CCW? In general, no- but check your state laws- it IS state by state.

Ref: Judge- just my opinion- it is neither fish nor fowl, and is not a real good shotgun, nor a real good 45. YMMV.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
What your talking about is so close to a straw purchase that you really need to avoid it.

Best bet-check the local classifieds.

And you may just be screwed on the cc aspect. I never recommend breaking the law. I'll tell anyone I'll do it myself if I can gain from it, or if I feel I'm doing something morally right or at least neutral, but I never recommend anyone else do it. And I can't think of a way to not carry concealed on a bike, unless you just use a shoulder rig over your leathers. Mobile marine rides a bike, he may have some suggestions.
I'm thinking a shoulder set up wouldn't be best for just riding around town. If I carried it on a waist holster with my jacket above it, is that considered unconcealed? The only other thing I can think of is in the locking hard case saddle bags I have. I don't necessarily feel comfortable with that. I don't really feel comfortable riding anymore though. One of my buddies was recently jumped at a stoplight on his bike and they stole it. That's the only reason I'm considering carrying. Before this I've only done a lot of target shooting and hunting.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Yep. 'Nother vote for strawman sale- you won't be enlisting with the felony conviction.

Military privileges for CCW? In general, no- but check your state laws- it IS state by state.

Ref: Judge- just my opinion- it is neither fish nor fowl, and is not a real good shotgun, nor a real good 45. YMMV.
Hmm... Arizona is generally pretty lax with gun laws so I'll check into it.
I've shot the Judge one time as a 45 and I really liked the grip/ lack of recoil. I've noticed that most of the Raging series have that grip though, so is there another you would recommend? Or I'm open to any other brands. I've only shot short barrels for the most part as far as Taurus goes. For Sig I'm limited to the P229 9mm, which I didn't care for. As far as Glock I thought the trigger wasn't all that smooth. It took too much pressure for me to have good shots, at least when I was at the range. I'm not overall familiar with the technical specs of handguns, I shot what was given to me for that trip by my parents, but is there a way to lighten to trigger pull? My neighbor is a gun smith so I think I may just talk to him tomorrow afternoon.
Edit: I've been considering moving out of Az up to Washington,where one of my good buddies lives. If I get the CCW out here, is it legal if I move up there? I'm thinking not, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by blittle; 07-29-2012 at 04:33 AM.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:34 AM   #7

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Here's some reading for you - http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp?Title=13

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 07-29-2012, 04:50 AM   #8

"On issuance, a permit is valid for five years, except a permit that is held by a member of the United States armed forces, including a member of the Arizona national guard or a member of the reserves of any military establishment of the United States, who is on federal active duty and who is deployed overseas shall be extended until ninety days after the end of the member's overseas deployment."
This is all I found referring to military. So does that mean a CCW permit is vaild 90 days after the end of my deployment? If it does, that's kind of all that I need. If I enlist now then I'll be 21 in 4 months after I get back, so that's only one month I can't carry. I'm beginning to think it may just be beneficial to wait until I'm 21...

Old 08-24-2012, 02:48 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

It sucks not being able to ccw, especially when you are 20. But you would be better off waiting and not doing anything that could cause you to loose your right to ccw.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:02 AM   #10

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

My best advice would be to wait until you turn 21. A mistake now would follow you the rest of your life.

Jim..........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks
People Like This