Arizona - It's Close to Changing the Rules!
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Arizona - It's Close to Changing the Rules!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Arizona - It's Close to Changing the Rules!

From the paper today, just thought I'd restart a discussion here:

PHOENIX — Arizona is on the verge of becoming the third state in the nation to let just about any adult carry a concealed weapon.

Without a word of debate, the House voted 36-19 on Wednesday to eliminate the criminal penalties that now exist if someone carries a concealed weapon without first getting the necessary state permit. The Senate already has approved the measure.

That leaves only the anticipated signature of Gov. Jan Brewer on Senate Bill 1108. The change would become official 91 days after the legislative session ends, which at the current projection would put the law on the books at the end of July.

Gubernatorial press aide Paul Senseman said she wants to review the final version before making a decision. But he indicated that, barring something unexpected in the bill, it will get her signature.

“Gov. Brewer has been a longtime supporter of and vigorous protector of Second Amendment rights,” he said. And Brewer herself, talking about Arizona history last year to the National Rifle Association, cited what she said was this state’s long tradition of people with guns, often not visible.

“You know, a saloon girl or two were even known to keep a derringer in their garter belt, just in case,” she said.

Only Vermont and Alaska permit any adult to carry a concealed weapon.

Under current Arizona law, any qualified adult, meaning not a convicted felon or someone mentally incapacitated, can openly carry a gun. But Sen. Russell Pearce, R-Mesa, one of the main proponents of the change, said that right, while perhaps sufficient in territorial days, is meaningless now.

He said it effectively disarms a woman who would want to have a gun in a purse or anyone who would like a gun on their hip but also wear a jacket.

Supporters also argued that those who do not want to carry openly should not have to get permission from the state.

Getting a permit currently requires attending an eight- hour, state-approved class. Subjects include the legality of the use of deadly force, marksmanship and judgmental shooting. Applicants must also undergo a criminal background check.

Arizonans will still be able to get a state-issued concealed-weapon permit even after the new law takes effect. One of the main benefits is that other states with their own permitting system routinely honor licenses issued in Arizona.

A separate law, which makes it illegal to have a gun in a bar or restaurant where alcohol is served, contains an exception for those who have a concealed-carry permit. However, police will still be able to arrest those who don’t have a permit but still carry a concealed weapon into one of those areas.

Brewer has signed every bill to loosen restrictions on weapons that has reached her desk.

Just last week, she inked her approval to a bill to prohibit cities from having gun restrictions that are more stringent than state laws.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2010, 12:06 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Great news, another win for gun owners.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:40 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

God bless the Second Amendment. Apparently it still means something in some states.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #4

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

All 50 states should be Gold Star states. No need for a permit to carry concealed or open carry. The way it used to be.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 04-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #5

I wish Michigan was that way

Old 04-15-2010, 04:58 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Here is a post that I found in a different thread. It was by EliteCombat.

Victory for CCW in VA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got an email confirming that a new law will go into effect in VA regarding CCW in bars and restaurants that serve alcohol:

Governor Bob McDonnell Signs VA Restaurant Carry into Law

Fairfax, Va. - Governor Bob McDonnell has signed into law a NRA-backed measure allowing right-to-carry permit holders to carry a concealed firearm for self-defense in restaurants, providing they do not consume alcohol. State Senator Emmett Hanger (R-24) and Delegate Todd Gilbert (R-15) were the principal sponsors of Senate Bill 334/House Bill 505.

“This is a victory for self-defense in Virginia," said Chris W. Cox, executive director of the NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action. “As headlines remind us, violent crime can happen anywhere. Law-abiding Virginia residents now have the option to carry a firearm in restaurants to defend themselves and their loved ones.”

The measure passed the State Senate in February by a margin of 22-18 and passed the House of Delegates in early March with a vote of 72-27. Virginia is the 42nd state to extend self-defense rights to permit holders in restaurants.

“The right to self-defense and the protection of loved ones in and outside the home is vital. We are pleased that Virginia passed these laws to enhance the self-defense rights of law-abiding folks in the Commonwealth,” concluded Cox. “The NRA would like to thank Governor Bob McDonnell and the lead bill sponsors, Senator Emmett Hanger and Delegate Todd Gilbert, as well as all the other legislators who supported this common-sense measure.”

This law will take effect July 1, 2010.

In addition, Governor McDonnell has also signed the following pro-gun bills into law:
House Bill 8/Senate Bill 3, sponsored by State Senator Ralph Smith (R-22) and Delegate Charles Carrico (R-5), allows Virginia residents to renew concealed carry permits by mail.
House Bill 109, sponsored by Delegate Mark Cole (R-88), repeals the statute which allows the governing body of any county to require the sellers of pistols and revolvers to furnish the Clerk of the Circuit Court with the name and address of the purchaser, date of purchase and the number, make, and caliber of the gun.
House Bill 871, authored by Delegate Ben Cline (R-24), clarifies that a person who is applying for a concealed handgun permit for the first time has the same right to an ore tenus (verbal or oral statements) hearing if the permit is denied as a person who has previously held a concealed handgun permit.
House Bill 1092, sponsored by Delegate Anne B. Crockett-Stark (R-6), gives retired law-enforcement the ability to carry a concealed handgun without a permit.
House Bill 1191, sponsored by Delegate H. Morgan Griffith (R-8), allows a circuit court judge to authorize the Clerk of Court to issue concealed handgun permits in instances where the application is complete, the background check does not indicate that the applicant is disqualified, and, after consulting with the local sheriff or police department, there are no other questions or issues surrounding the application.
Virginians can thank Governor Bob McDonnell for his Second Amendment support at (804) 786-2211 or click here to thank him via email.

Another victory for us!

Old 04-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #7

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelenwolf View Post
[B][I][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]

House Bill 1092, sponsored by Delegate Anne B. Crockett-Stark (R-6), gives retired law-enforcement the ability to carry a concealed handgun without a permit.
Gongrats to Virginia! But I find the provision above stupid. It just proves that politians and lawmakers pass new laws just to pass new laws, so that they can say that they pass new laws. Someone should have informed Mrs Crockett-Stark of LEOSA (Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act).

Quote:
The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) is a United States federal law, enacted in 2004, that allows two classes of persons—the "qualified law enforcement officer" and the "qualified retired law enforcement officer" -- to carry a concealed firearm in any jurisdiction in the United States, regardless of any state or local law to the contrary, with certain exceptions.
Wikipedia

This is the Federal Law that gives me the ability to carry concealed without a permit across all 50 US states and US Territories as a Correctional Officer, including San Francisco and Chicago. After many years from now, when I retire, I am still awarded the same concealed carry "privileges". The only requirement while retired is that I carry a government ID that says "Retired" and I must the agency's firearms qualification.

On the same note, I can say that my critisism of the provision in it's self is stupid. This could just be a case where Virginia passed this to possibly preemt a change or repeal of LEOSA.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 04-16-2010, 11:49 PM   #8
TOF

Governor Brewer signed the Constitutional Carry Bill today.

Congratulations Arizona

America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:32 AM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Wanna trade governors??

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 04-17-2010, 02:28 AM   #10

I'd be happy to trade governers with any of you. Im stuck with Terd(Ted) Strickland in Ohio. And about the law, it was signed into effect and starts in july

" It's better to be tried by twelve than carried by six. " - Nick Stone