You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Arguments for Carrying a Semi-Auto or Revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3735 Times on 2288 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512
I've started this thread because another one of our forum members doesn't want to have an honest discussion about valid reasons for selecting a revolver or semi-auto as a concealed carry weapon.
Here's the thing that you're missing. In my thread I never, from the beginning, NEVER wanted it to be a "why you all SHOULD carry a revolver" or "why you all SHOULD NOT carry a semi-auto" thread. My original intent was to never start a discussion about what people SHOULD carry. My intent was simply to dispel some common fears people might have (maybe misconceptions is a better word) about carrying a revolver.

Quote:
After receiving some replies he didn't like, he wanted people to stop responding, so I'm starting a thread here so that people can state their opinions on the matter and as the OP I will NEVER ask you to stop posting because I agree or disagree with your assertions
Here's another thing. I didn't ask people to stop responding simply because I didn't like what they were saying. I didn't really disagree with anything posted, by and large. Did you happen to notice that I said multiple times the weapon I've selected for carry purposes, and have actually purchased, for when I get my permit in the future is a S&W M&P9c?

I wanted people to stop replying in certain ways because the thread was not intended to be a capacity debate, or a caliber debate, or a semi-auto vs revolver debate. As I said, The original point of the thread was to dispel commons myths about carrying a revolver, and it had strayed from that. It even got into what can be expected in a SD encounter in LEO vs civilian.

Also, people were going in circles with the arguments they were using, for the topics that I didn't want discussed.

Quote:
Why start a discourse in a public forum wherein you ask other people about why they would not do something and then complain about the answers you get when they don't agree with your sensibilities about what YOU choose to do? I don't ask people for input in public and then tell them to be quiet if I don't like their answers. If you don't want to hear the answers, then don't ask the question.
Here's the other thing. I never asked a question. I never once asked, "which is better for concealed carry, a revolver or a semi-auto?" I never once asked "should you carry higher capacity or lower?" I never once asked "which caliber is better?" I never asked "are LEOs or civilians more likely to face multiple attackers?"

I was simply stating reasons why someone might consider a revolver, in response to common perceptions about doing so.

You completely missed the point of the thread. Now, I'm not going to interfere in your thread. I just wanted you to be aware, as well as everyone else be aware, that you completely missed the point of what I was doing and turned it into something it was never intended to be.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #22

Liked 81 Times on 56 Posts

Kill this thread,,,
Kill it now.
People Like This 
Old 09-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 810 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304inc
Kill this thread,,, Kill it now.
with fire?

Old 09-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #24

Liked 81 Times on 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
with fire?
Napalm....

Old 09-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304inc View Post
Kill this thread,,,
Kill it now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
with fire?
Quote:
Napalm....
Personally, I don't care if the OP wants to discuss semi-autos vs revolvers or not. That's his prerogative.

What I do mind, however, is him alluding to me in his original post based solely on HIS own misunderstand of MY post's intent.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #26
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1861 Times on 1045 Posts
Likes Given: 803

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Personally, I don't care if the OP wants to discuss semi-autos vs revolvers or not. That's his prerogative.

What I do mind, however, is him alluding to me in his original post based solely on HIS own misunderstand of MY post's intent.
You're free to post whatever you want to post here, JW.

I won't ask you to quit posting here because I want intellectually honest answers to a basic question that gets asked frequently and frequently responded to with personal prejudices. Feel free to contribute by posting your thoughts on this matter and then state whether your selection is personal preference or based in logic that could withstand some basic questions.

Rather than cheerleading carrying a flintlock because I can construct a scenario in my mind where a flintlock will get the job done, I'd rather just let people post their opinions and request that they back up what they've posted with some logic (which should withstand a simple examination of facts- weight/cost/size/capacity/geometry are indisputable facts) or simply state that it's a personal preference (in which case no further explanation is necessary).

If tomorrow a laser pistol is available that basically doesn't run out of ammo and weighs about the same as an average carry pistol and is affordable, I will cease carrying a semi-automatic pistol immediately and purchase a laser pistol. On that note, if something like that was available, I wouldn't go out and extoll the virtues of a semi-automatic pistol or revolver while I'm walking around with a laser pistol. The revolver and semi-auto will still be killing people long after the laser pistol is invented, but simple physics would dictate that anyone, no matter how well or poorly trained, will have an easier time with the laser pistol, weight and ergonomics notwithstanding.

I use technology because it makes life easier. Sitting behind the Macbook Pro that I am typing this from, there's an IBM Selectric. For those who don't know what that is, it's a 1960's electric typewriter. While I suppose I could type what I am posting here and mail it to the post office and have the forum administrator transcribe this post onto the website, it's a lot easier to just type it on this state-of-the-art computer I'm sitting behind and shoot the electrons off into the ether with a click of a button.

I can construct a scenario in my mind whereby my IBM Selectric is superior to my Apple MacBook Pro, but there are very few ways in which the IBM is more generally useful than the MacBook for drafting documents. Rather then going through the mental gyrations necessary to explain to everyone else why my Selectric is a perfectly suitable document drafting tool for general purpose use, I ask myself this; "In the general case, which is better for drafting documents, an electric typewriter or a computer and laser printer?" Both are capable, but which is more capable and more suitable for general use?

To me, whatever I choose to carry will only ever be a tool. If the tool quits working or there's another tool out there that does it better/faster/easier for less money, then it's time for a new tool.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #27
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1861 Times on 1045 Posts
Likes Given: 803

Quote:
Kill this thread,,,
Kill it now.
Feel free to quit reading anytime you like. If possible, contribute to the discussion.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #28

Liked 5756 Times on 3368 Posts
Likes Given: 4889

I have been told repeatedly that "purse guns" or guns that will be in contact with small debris should be semi-autos rather than revolvers. The semi-auto is a sealed unit, more or less, when not in use, while the revolver has various openings that could allow sand or small debris to enter the chambers and possibly the mechanical workings of the revolver.

I will say that I revisited this idea when I had to remove a caramel candy from the barrel of my sister's former purse pistol. She promised to be kinder to the Bersa and keeps it in a little holster last I looked.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
You're free to post whatever you want to post here, JW.

I won't ask you to quit posting here because I want intellectually honest answers to a basic question that gets asked frequently and frequently responded to with personal prejudices. Feel free to contribute by posting your thoughts on this matter and then state whether your selection is personal preference or based in logic that could withstand some basic questions.
I don't mind posting my opinion on the matter in this thread, as that's the purpose of this thread.

I just want you to understand that my thread was never intended to be that debate.

Now, as to my preference (bear in mind, with all the facts in the world, anyone's choice will ALWAYS be a preference, because there is simply no such thing as the "best" or a "better" handgun).

As I have said multiple times in the other thread and once in this one, I have selected an M&P9c for my carry gun, when I get my permit. I don't have a single problem with semi-autos. The right semi-auto is already in my possession.

However, I have no qualms carrying a revolver if I need to or decide I prefer that (because in my mind, they are more reliable). So in the future, I wouldn't have a problem throwing a wheel gun on my person. Maybe I'll see that a wheel gun carries better on my body than my M&P9c?

At the end of the day, every single person's carry choice is a personal choice and there is no right or wrong answer.

Last edited by JW357; 10-01-2013 at 09:28 PM.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 694 Times on 403 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Your question is akin to asking me which of my children I love the most. I love them both. The same can be said for the toss up between a semi and a revolver. I was at the range today shooting at 50 feet. I was shooting my very old Taurus Model 82 and my not quite so old Rossi. Both are 38s and both have a 4" barrel. My groups from a modified Weaver stance were about 3-5 inches in the bullseye at that distance. Yes, it's a stationary target and the paper is not shooting back, but it's still a good day at the range with two of my favorite handguns. Then let's talk about my work horse gun the CZ 75B with two 16 round mags. It has fixed sights and built like a tank. The gun is an absolute joy to shoot. It has never failed me and at 25 feet in rapid fire the rounds will go where they need to go. Which is better? I don't know. I feel just as armed whether I'm carrying my CZ or my snubbie that only carries 5 rounds. Interesting post and good luck.
Warrior1256 Likes This