Arguments for Carrying a Semi-Auto or Revolver - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Arguments for Carrying a Semi-Auto or Revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 01:48 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
In a tactical environment you may need the extra rounds... but that is very distinct situation compared to civilian self-defense..

respectfully,

BlueZ
If I am engaging the BG, I am in a tactical situation.

You can call it whatever you want (tactical, civi defense), but it is a situation that I will have every means avail to me.

If 6 rounds is good for you in that situation, then that is your decision.

If I am there, I will have your back no matter how many rounds you didn't bring.

Last edited by AustinArmory; 09-30-2013 at 02:01 AM.
People Like This 
Old 09-30-2013, 02:31 AM   #12
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

This is so simple. The answer is yes.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
Rocky7 Likes This 
Old 09-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 145 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Revolver or semi-auto is entirely personal preference. I prefer both.

My daily EDC

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.
People Like This 
Old 09-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #14

Liked 464 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Have both, carry either/or. Most importantly, am well drilled with both. Hope the day never comes, I'm confident I could engage with either. All that said, usually carry an auto. Easier to conceal IWB and a spare mag is handier than speed loaders or strips. MHO you understand.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

I'll weigh in with this. If you are going to carry something in an inadequate caliber, you better make sure you have a high enough round count to stop your attacker. If you are carrying something that should do the job with one or two well placed hits you should be okay with a lower capacity. Whatever you carry you need to demand 100% reliability out of it.

I am a revolver fan. When I first started shooting there were two accurate pistols out there. One was the Colt Gold Cup 1911 and the other was the Browning HiPower. Neither one was affordable to me, and neither one was reliable enough for a defense pistol. Because my life did in fact depend on what I carried I went with S&W revolvers. I have never had a reason to regret it. I do have several pistols now, and I do carry them regularly, but if this was an open carry state I would go back to the K Frame Smith in a heartbeat.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 794 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
The average number of rounds fired by a civilian self defender is 1.7
(according to the FBI crime statistics)
What about the time you need more than six. The time to reload could get you killed. If people are happy with averages the (average) number of times that someone needs a firearm for self defence are I would say very low so why carry one.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
What about the time you need more than six. The time to reload could get you killed. If people are happy with averages the (average) number of times that someone needs a firearm for self defence are I would say very low so why carry one.
I'll counter that one with what about all the people that are happy with a low capacity .380? Then there are the ones carrying the S&W Shield 9mm with a capacity of 7 or 8. The Ruger LC-9 is 7+1 but it has a wide popularity. If you'll remember, we had a rather heated thread not too long ago about whether or not you should carry extra mags. There were people that carried low capacity .380s that saw no need for spare mags. It's up to the individual.

I personally know 3 LEOs that have successfully defended themselves with .25acp pistols. It certainly wasn't their first choice, but their duty weapons had been removed from them by force. Stuff happens, and I know they are darn glad they had their BUG. You play the odds.

Odds are that as a civilian you will never need a firearm to defend yourself. Odds are that if you manage to get the first hit on a single attacker, no matter what you are using, you will win. Odds are that if you have multiple attackers and put one down, the others will leave. Odds are that if you show the ability to resist with equal or greater force, your attacker will bug out. Odds are that if you are ever attacked by a flash mob of 200 people, it won't matter what you are carrying or how many spare mags you have.

Ten years from the date you have to defend yourself nobody will care what you carried, nobody will care whether you had to reload, nobody will care what caliber you were using, and nobody will care whether it was a pistol or revolver. All they will care about is whether you won or lost.
People Like This 
Old 09-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2254 Times on 1336 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

No argument here. What you must consider is:
1. What PPD WILL YOU CARRY all the time (comfort in carrying and concealability)
2. What PPD do you shoot best. (hit probability)
If they are not the same PPD, regardless of platform you MUST find one which can meet both, with priority on the first (if you don't have it with you when you need it it is worthless)!
Revolver or auto don't matter. What works best for YOU is all that matters.
That said, I do not recommend any caliber small than a 38 sp.

PPD=Personal Protection Device
I too have both and carry both depending on the circumstance.

Last edited by JimRau; 09-30-2013 at 02:34 PM.
OldManMontgomery Likes This 
Old 09-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #19
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1314 Times on 728 Posts
Likes Given: 570

When I look at the arguments for or against carrying a certain type of handgun, I generally think to myself not "What can I do?" with this firearm, but, "What can an average person do with minimal training and practice?"

I know that the argument could be made that the average shooter simply needs more training and practice, but that won't help them before or until they reach that level of proficiency.

I think holding everyone else to your standard of marksmanship and capability is a bit unrealistic, even if it is an achievable goal, as evidenced by your achievement of that goal. Obviously, we should all advocate more extensive training and practice. After proficiency has been achieved, then in my mind it no longer matters what you carry.
Mason609 Likes This 
Old 09-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 807 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I carry a xd 40 as my primary edc and my lil s&w 38 as a bug it depends on the situation I'm in what one I'll use if I get jumped and I'm on my back I can't reach my xd I'm grabbing my smitty from my ankle putting it right up under bg's armpit and firing all 6 if I'm standing face to face I'm grabbing my xd it's all situational and comfort ease of use and concealabilty it's also the practice that goes into war gaming your strategies and body and practice in possible scenarios.