Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Arguments against NOT carrying a revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 02:38 AM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 128 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Say WHAT?!?!

That's nucking futs. If you are close enough to stick your gun in the "bad guy's" chest you have let things escalate too far. The reason I would have a gun is to keep them at a distance. Besides, I cannot begin to see how you could "push the slide out of battery." anybody have any comment on that?
The slide goes backward when fired,so I don't see how the slide would get pushed out.If it's a Lorcin or a Jennings,I could see the slide breaking off

Unless the BG is Jet Li

But if you look closely at Rigg's Beretta,you will see the slide release lever is in the unlocked position.
Gotta love Hollywood

Last edited by WillWork4Ammo; 09-22-2013 at 02:41 AM.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:41 AM   #82

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

Say WHAT?!?!

That's nucking futs. If you are close enough to stick your gun in the "bad guy's" chest you have let things escalate too far. The reason I would have a gun is to keep them at a distance. Besides, I cannot begin to see how you could "push the slide out of battery." anybody have any comment on that?
Bad guys use the element of surprise to their advantage. Attacks can happen so quickly that you may be on your back getting beat into the ground before you know what is happening. Maybe someone is trying to drag you out of your car. This kind of stuff happens to people all of the time, regardless of how prepared they are.

If you ate comfortable trying it, unload your pistol. Safety check it and safety check it again. Push the muzzle into something, maybe your bed or your lay-z-boy and see if the slide moves. Chances are, it will move back.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:43 AM   #83
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2162 Times on 1199 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

Say WHAT?!?!

LoL I agree. Thats pretty crazy. But close range encounters happen more often than not. Statistically inside of 7 yards is the norm.

Several years back a female officer from this area died in a tangle with a guy hopped up on PCP. He rushed her with a knife and she emptied an entire magazine into his chest, range was so close she shot off some of her fingers in the process, trying to keep the slimebag off of her. Apparently by the time it was over with she was punching him with the gun and squeezing the trigger at the same time. Her Glock 19 didn't misfire. Just ran out of bullets before the BG ran out of blood.

It's a lot harder to get a well made semi to misfire than people unfamiliar with them would believe.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 09-22-2013 at 02:47 AM.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:47 AM   #84
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 864 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
I cheat, I carry both.

I like your non lethal alternative. Very smart.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:58 AM   #85

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
It's a lot harder to get a well made semi to misfire than people unfamiliar with them would believe.
I'll agree with this statement. I don't like it for the revo over semi argument. It might have been more of an isue many years ago but I just don't see it now unless you are using something that should have probably never been called a gun. All guns like any other machine can break down. And will at some point in the game.

Bottom line is carrying any handgun is a compromise. It's just a matter of what one believes is enough that should drive their choice in handgun.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-22-2013, 03:09 AM   #86

Liked 157 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have carried both. And I still can't justify why 6 is better than 15! I adore Revolvers but 15 always seems larger to me than 6!!

Old 09-22-2013, 03:17 AM   #87

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
I have carried both. And I still can't justify why 6 is better than 15! I adore Revolvers but 15 always seems larger to me than 6!!
For some it's just a matter of what they feel they need. If you don't feel you need 15 then you are carrying extra weight with no propose.

If you really want to be better prepared then maybe an AR with a couple 30's taped together? All handguns are a compromise. It's all in what one feels is enough or too much.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-22-2013, 03:36 AM   #88
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1010 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Barroom brawlers prefer a revolver because the slide won't get hung in their own clothing. Another issue is if you shoot someone in a barroom brawl if you have had any alcohol you are going to have a hard time making a case for self defense. Really, if you do shoot someone in a barroom no matter what the circumstances might be, unless you are working there, you can expect to at least go before a grand jury.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:37 AM   #89
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7334 Times on 4252 Posts
Likes Given: 9451

And the cylinder flash from a revolver can mess you up too if you fire it across your chest. I guess that makes it a bad choice.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #90
That didn't last long... Flyers during Shero's era!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1439 Times on 876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post

Say WHAT?!?!

It seems a bit arrogant to assume that your situation awareness is so good that no BG can ever get within grappling distance. If that happens and you manage to draw, you could find that the barrel is touching the BG. Any pressure applied by the body / clothing of the BG to the muzzle end of a semiautomatic pistol can displace the slide. Displacement of about 1/8 to 1/4 inch will activate an internal, passive safety, which will prevent the gun from firing. If you are on your back, you may not be able to pull the gun back to relieve the pressure.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 3rd FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/3rd-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-12-13-2014-a-98426

Mason609 Likes This