Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Arguments against NOT carrying a revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 05:50 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
And then I have had the Mod 19 4", 586 4" & 6" and the trooper MK III 4" all with no problems at all.
I should have mentioned that my old pin barrel Model 19 does not let the rounds slide against the back plate, and it may have been that the 586 I had just had oversized holes in the cylinder. Not trying to knock other peoples favorites but revolvers are just like anything else, you can't be sure it's going to work every time till you wring it out. I've probably owned about thirty over the years, most did exactly what I needed them to.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:54 PM   #62

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i pocket carry a ruger lcp. its about the same thickness as a android smartphone and thats exactly what it looks like in my pocket.

put a revolver of any type in a pocket and the outline looks like a gun in your pocket.

when you pocket carry junk gets in the gun. pocket lint is a killer. with a semi auto im assured that no matter what 1 round is going off. with a revolver you get a little lint in the cylinder jamming it up and its a paperweight.

if you carry iwb or owb its a moot point on that issue

im not a fan of the long trigger pulls on da revolvers. if i was going to carry a revolver it would never be a da. while im no fan of the lcp trigger its size is a huge mitigating factor. so when i carry something larger i just dont want to be limited by the fiddly nature of revolvers.

loading a semi auto requires gross muscular skill loading a revolver requires fine muscular skill. the first thing that goes out the window when your faced with a fight or flight situation when the adrenaline gets pumping is fine motor skills. this means if you have to manipulate the firearm its gotten exponentially more difficult trying to get the round bullets in the round holes.

semi auto is easier to use under stress.
You know they make pocket holsters. I have a Blackhawk pocket holster that works for my 637 revo and my 938 semi

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2194 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie

You know they make pocket holsters. I have a Blackhawk pocket holster that works for my 637 revo and my 938 semi
I agree. I pocket carry a lot too and the Blackhawk holsters work fine for me most of the time. They seem to keep most of the lint out. But then again I've taken my PF9 apart before and found lint on the inside of the slide and all around the hammer. I'd be more worried about it jamming up and not functioning from pocket lint than a revolver. There's a whole lot more moving parts in the semi to get gunked up.

Also when they print, my semis print like a semis, not phones. I'm sure a revolver would print like a revolver. My buddy pocket carries a tiny 5 shot.22 revolver when we're in the boat and it doesnt print at all its so small. So I don't think that printing while pocket carrying is a good argument for or against revolvers.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 09-01-2013 at 03:11 AM.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:08 PM   #64
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 137 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by p35bhp55 View Post
I should have mentioned that my old pin barrel Model 19 does not let the rounds slide against the back plate, and it may have been that the 586 I had just had oversized holes in the cylinder. Not trying to knock other peoples favorites but revolvers are just like anything else, you can't be sure it's going to work every time till you wring it out. I've probably owned about thirty over the years, most did exactly what I needed them to.
I've had a few myself

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 09-01-2013, 03:02 AM   #65
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
I've had a few myself

Drool...

What's the odd looking small one in the lower right corner?

Old 09-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #66

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
I agree. I pocket carry a lot too and the Blackhawk holsters work fine for me most of the time. They seem to keep most of the lint out. But then again I've taken my PF9 apart before and found lint on the inside of the slide and all around the hammer. I'd be more worried about it jamming up and not functioning from pocket lint than a revolver. There's a whole lot more moving parts in the semi to get gunked up.

Also when they print, my semis print like a semis, not phones. I'm sure a revolver would print like a revolver. My buddy pocket carries a tiny 5 shot.22 revolver when we're in the boat and it doesnt print at all its so small. So I don't think that printing while pocket carrying is a good argument for or against revolvers.
Just sayin' the pocket holster helps keep some of thew dirt our and will help with printing some. Works for me anyway.

BTW, you asked about a small revo for a center console. The little Smith I mentioned in the earlier post is around 350 new. A 5 round +p 38 makes a pretty good little shooter .

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #67

Default My Main Reason For Not Carrying A Revolver

When I shoot a revolver double action I tend to drop the muzzle on release of the trigger thus shooting low...sometimes very low. No telling what I would do under extreme pressure.....

No problem with my Glock or 1911.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #68
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 7732 Times on 4465 Posts
Likes Given: 9979

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarisgold View Post
When I shoot a revolver double action I tend to drop the muzzle on release of the trigger thus shooting low...sometimes very low. No telling what I would do under extreme pressure.....

If you are aiming center-of-mass then you should still hit 'em on the 'nads!

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 09-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #69
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarisgold

That's just a training issue. Obviously carry whatever you shoot the best.

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 09-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #70

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
I think a revolver is best because if you have to shoot in self defence, you don't have to search for the spent cartridge before leaving. I say this because I have heard it can cost thousnds to defend yourself against a district attorney that believes criminals have all the rights
What?

It doesn't really matter if you leave a spent casing at the scene after a self defense shooting (they'd probably take the shell regardless). Your not talking about leaving the scene are you? THAT could get you in to some seriously deep water with the law unless you are forced to leave the scene for your own protection.