Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Arguments against NOT carrying a revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Humm? I thought all these medical marijuana farmers were kindly social workers? The average gun fight is at ranges less than 7 yards and expends only one and one half rounds. It seems the real problem is finding a one half round.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #32
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7655 Times on 4416 Posts
Likes Given: 9867

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Humm? I thought all these medical marijuana farmers were kindly social workers? The average gun fight is at ranges less than 7 yards and expends only one and one half rounds. It seems the real problem is finding a one half round.
The medical marijuana growers are a completely different animal. Never gonna have a problem with them. Its the ones who grow illegally who are dangerous. In those situations a rifle is just as likely going to be of use as a handgun.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #33
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6557 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I see it has personal preference. I would not feel under gunned if I carried a .38 special or a .357 mag revolver. I'd rather have a 45 ACP 1911 instead though.

The capacity argument is attempted on my 1911 too. People ask why carry a gun limited to (normally) 8-9 rounds when you could get one that holds 14 or 15.

The answer is simple. I like my 1911. 8 rounds of 45 ACP will get me out of most situations, and I will carry what I want, not what someone else deems to be sufficient.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #34

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Yes I am sure they are nice "Green Thumb" oriented tenders of the soil. Doc Holiday was a care giver at one time.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #35

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Personal preference. I prefer a j frame in the pocket, but will carry a model 10 snub or the M&P 9 on the hip. We overthink these things sometimes.

Mike

Mason609 Likes This 
Old 08-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #36

Liked 101 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 219

One comparison i like to make, is reload time/easability of an empty revolver with empty loaders (speed loaders, speed strips) versus an empty semi-auto and empty mags. Loading both from a fresh box of ammo, the revolver wins.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #37
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1701 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 5173

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
what is the probability of a revolver malfunction....basically zero.
I generally agree with this. My S&W Model 19, 2.5" bbl blue would loosen the ejector rod. This would cause problems. Now I just make sure it's tight each time, (Haven't done the locktite thing)

TXPossum and I love our M19's. No argument against carrying it.

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL

Old 08-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #38
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 288 Posts

I think you are putting the cart before the horse.
I would first get my conceal weapons lic from the state .
Then you can carry anything that you feel is comfortable and safe. Because when it come down to it you are the one who has to carry and train with it .

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Mason609 Likes This 
Old 08-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3720 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF
I think you are putting the cart before the horse.
I would first get my conceal weapons lic from the state .
Then you can carry anything that you feel is comfortable and safe. Because when it come down to it you are the one who has to carry and train with it .
I had planned on getting one soon but the current county I live in is backed up for interviews until December, and I'll be gone by December so I'll have to wait until I get to my new location.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #40

Liked 385 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 1352

While I have alot of respect for jonM and value his judgment I will respectfully disagree with the following points especially:

Originally Posted by JonM
the main reason police and military switched to semi auto is because ....

Military requirements sets differ markedly from what a civilian defense shooters rational requirements set is.

1)revolver and semi are pretty equal up to the point you gotta load em up.

2) if revolvers were easier the military and police agencies would still be using them. it costs a LOT to train someone to use a revolver well under stress its VERY easy to train someone to use a semiauto under stress

1)Not agreed: the moving slide with changing balance of the autoloader where as the balance on the revolver stays nearly 100& identical thru the fight. Also the Revolver has afixed barrel. This will always produce superior accuracy and is often shown at the range. I am a good shot but not great yet I outperform in accuracy nearly 100% of the guys using autoloaders at our local range by a almost comical margin. The reason is a shoot a revolver (and its not a 6+ inch eitehr but a 4 inch barrel)

2) Again requirements sets are different. actually I will go so far as ot state that I believe the opposite to be the case. it is MUCH easier to train someone to use a revolver properly and accurately than autoloader.

Gov't agencies have more training resources than the avg civilian 1st defender. This is one of the differences in requirements that makes revolvers still very competitive as a civilian defensive firearms. Thier simplicity to handle them.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix