Arguments against NOT carrying a revolver - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Arguments against NOT carrying a revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 02:14 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

If you're a good shot, you don't need to reload...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 08-04-2013, 02:18 AM   #22

Liked 144 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I wouldn't criticize anyone for carrying a revolver. Carrying ANY gun you are way better prepared than 95% of the population.

Most important thing is to practice with what you chose to carry so that you are as proficient, safe and accurate as possible should you ever have to use it.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:36 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

I grew up shooting a 357 Colt PeaceKeeper from the age of 12. First shooting 38 specials, and then moved onto 357's. It is the one handgun that I can outshoot my friends at work on, as well as my family and friends back home. I carry a Smith 686 snub-nosed 357 on occasion and have no concerns over it not being able to handle it's intended job.

Last edited by Anna_Purna; 08-04-2013 at 02:43 AM.
nitestalker Likes This 
Old 08-04-2013, 03:03 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl
Hospital parking garage in a bad neighborhood, 11pm, most of the lights dont work. Security Guard is asleep in his booth 4 floors down. bad guys travel in packs around here......I like knowing i have the 16rnds of .40 And i dont care if it "prints". Once im in the garage, i usually walk with it in my hand anyway. And YES...it has saved my a55 more than once.....
Unfortunately you wouldn't be able to carry a magazine of 15-16 rounds in my state. You'd have to settle for multiple magazines of 10...

While I like revolvers a lot, and think that for my purposes 6-12 shots of .357 Magnum might be enough, I don't think that's any excuse for laws regulating magazine size. Stinking gun grabbers. If someone wants to carry 19 rounds in a magazine that should bloody well be their prerogative.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:12 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

lots of places you might wantt o carry and be uber discrete. ive never seen a holster that when you put it in a pocket doesnt make it look like a gun is banging around in there when it comes to revolvers. they are just too wide.
Again I'll have to defer on this point, as I've never tried to carry any gun in a pocket. I do agree in theory, though. Revolvers seem better suited to be IWB or OWB, or under the arm. Even on an ankle I guess. Of course some people can do the pocket carry no problem. More power to them.

Quote:
i can tell you from experience loading a revolver fast is not an easy task under the effects of adrenaline even if you train hard. doing a bunch of running in place excersises situps push ups etc is NOT the same as someone trying to use you as a bullet stop.
You're probably right, although those spring loaded ones seem pretty fast. I hope you're not right, though, at least in my case. I'm strongly considering a revolver for CCW in the future.

Quote:
the main reason police and military switched to semi auto is because it is easier to operate under stress. pull gun pull trigger if reload is needed big square metal block in big hole pull slide. revolvers you either load one at a time or a speed loader wher all the rounds have to line up with each hole to get loaded AFTER you shake the old ones out some of which might stick in the chambers. requires a lot of gun manipulation.
Luckily my needs while walking around as a civilian are different than if I were deployed to combat.

Quote:
revolver and semi are pretty equal up to the point you gotta load em up. thats where the big difference is. everything else is personal pref. if revolvers were easier the military and police agencies would still be using them. it costs a LOT to train someone to use a revolver well under stress its VERY easy to train someone to use a semiauto under stress. its why you dont see nations arming their front line soldiers with bolt actions.

its cheaper to handout a lot of bullets and hope for a hit than it is to train someone to be really proficient with a revolver or bolt gun.
I agree 100% that militaries and maybe police agencies prefer the accuracy by volume approach. I think its garbage, but at least they still teach some semblance of proper marksmanship (at least for rifles) in the Marine Corps.

Always have clean socks.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-04-2013, 03:29 AM   #26
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8274 Times on 4781 Posts
Likes Given: 10701

I have a 7-shot J-frame I carry- though here behind enemy lines I cannot carry in public. I do however carry on private lands, and since one of the major concerns on private land is illegal pot growers and meth labs I have reason to do so (Sheriff's deputies have advised me to do so, knowing what I do and that I am proficient with firearms.). These bad guys will shoot cops but not necessarily civilians (very few documented instances of this happening, as opposed to LEOs being shot which has happened a few times). LEOs don't carry revolvers generally. It might be enough to give me the opportunity to not have to shoot at all.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:35 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
I have a 7-shot J-frame I carry- though here behind enemy lines I cannot carry in public. I do however carry on private lands, and since one of the major concerns on private land is illegal pot growers and meth labs I have reason to do so (Sheriff's deputies have advised me to do so, knowing what I do and that I am proficient with firearms.). These bad guys will shoot cops but not necessarily civilians (very few documented instances of this happening, as opposed to LEOs being shot which has happened a few times). LEOs don't carry revolvers generally. It might be enough to give me the opportunity to not have to shoot at all.
7 shot J frame? Is it a .22?

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #28

Liked 1839 Times on 1025 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

My wife's 22 mag J-frame is a 7 shot. The 22lr is an 8 shot.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #29
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8274 Times on 4781 Posts
Likes Given: 10701

Whoops. Meant L-Frame. Its the .357 Mountain Lite.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Whoops. Meant L-Frame. Its the .357 Mountain Lite.
Ahh very nice.

Always have clean socks.