Arguments against NOT carrying a revolver - Page 26
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Arguments against NOT carrying a revolver

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #251
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bluez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,366
Liked 431 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 1588

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
:FACEPALM: Its like a merry go round. The same arguments go by again... And again.... And again...

I highly recommend you read at least the first 8 pages or so if you want to participate in this discussion.... But IMO its mostly played out and there isn't much left to say.

edit: I AM tired of all these spray and pray comments about cops and semi shooters in general though. They are almost all completely false. I've seen revolver shooters who were accidentally peppering targets on either side of their shooting lane, are they spraying and praying too?
I will gladly go back and see if I can find anything that a good argument to the opposite of my points.

Now there is one and only one valid argument against the revolver in self defense and that is that autoloaders are slimmer and generally better concealed carry pieces for that reason.

But its black letter fact that everything else being equal, due to their fixed barrels and absence of moving slides they are inherently more accurate and easier to shoot accurately.

There is no one I know that denies that.
I'll even grant you that modern auto loaders are nearly as reliable as revolvers so I will not even use the reliability talking point.

the only advantage a semi auto loader has is number of rounds it carries.

And we know from FBI crime statistics that this simply doesnt matter in civilian self defense carry, no matter what fanciful possible self defense scenarios people conjure up on forums, or video games.

But I will gladly go back and look to see if you posted something earlier ...

.. maybe the new FBI statistics are out and they are wildly different and show the avg number of rounds fired in self defense now is a dozen or more

respectfully,

BlueZ
__________________
https://www.numbersusa.com/content/

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

EVERY DAY MEN WHO WILL FOLLOW ORDERS TO KILL YOU, EXERCISE. DO YOU?

Last edited by bluez; 09-29-2013 at 06:47 AM.
bluez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:41 AM   #252
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,716
Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillWork4Ammo
I have mostly semi-auto's but I am looking into a revolver. The biggest reason I always hear against carrying a revolver is capacity.How many of the average permit holders are involved in a Hollywood style street shootout involving multiple magazines and multiple BGs I really don't know.I would feel very comfortable carrying a 5 or 6 shot .38 SPL with an extra speed loader.One thing I do love about revolvers is no safety to fiddle with,and no having to worry about FTFs and racking the slide.Just whip it out and BANG!!The revolver is TIMELESS.From Wyatt Earp to Dirty Harry,it has served it's purpose. I would love to get a S&W model 36 Chiefs Special someday.I fired the Airweight and it was too light for me and felt too much recoil.I guess I could get used to it.
Some people on this thread think they are going to get in a hollywood shootout every time they leave their house. But I digress.

Good choice on the Chief's Special. I hope you can find one within your budget. They're very nice guns.
__________________
Always have clean socks.
JW357 is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:44 AM   #253
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrumJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Here in the holler....
Posts: 4,823
Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillWork4Ammo View Post
I have mostly semi-auto's but I am looking into a revolver.
The biggest reason I always hear against carrying a revolver is capacity.How many of the average permit holders are involved in a Hollywood style street shootout involving multiple magazines and multiple BGs I really don't know.I would feel very comfortable carrying a 5 or 6 shot .38 SPL with an extra speed loader.One thing I do love about revolvers is no safety to fiddle with,and no having to worry about FTFs and racking the slide.Just whip it out and BANG!!The revolver is TIMELESS.From Wyatt Earp to Dirty Harry,it has served it's purpose.
I would love to get a S&W model 36 Chiefs Special someday.I fired the Airweight and it was too light for me and felt too much recoil.I guess I could get used to it.
I carry a 5 shot 38 spl, a 7+1 single stack 9mm, or a 8+1 45ACP and have never felt under-gunned. I don't often have a speed loader or extra mag on me (most the time I leave them in the truck).

It all boils down to what you are comfortable with. Any handgun you have and I don't care how much ammo you carry with it you are still compromising. We can dance on premise beach all we want and say what if there where 20 PCP infused zombies so...And so..And so.
Want to cover your rear then pack a battle rifle with you everywhere you go and an ammo can ty feed it. BEcause what if those 20 PCP infused zombies had an AR with heat seeking moisture missile attachments?

Each person has to figure out what they are comfortable with. Personally I se no need for a high cap semi with a couple extra mags and a back up gun. Some people feel the need, I'm just no tone of them. The average SD situation involving civilians it's 2-3 shots fired and it's over. But I don't guess that carrying the 34+1 is wrong. It's just weight I see no need for.
A 5-6 shot revolver will get it done in most every situation. But if it make people happy carry the two extra mags, BUG, and dynamite. I'm not carrying the weight. So it's not a problem for me. I'll stick to the low cap inferior weapons I carry and just make real sure I use them well.
__________________
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by DrumJunkie; 09-29-2013 at 06:49 AM. Reason: 34?!?!?!
DrumJunkie is offline  
bluez Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #254
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,716
Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsGodAndCountry
This is what Im saying! It won't end because there is no clear, one size fits all answer. People are inclined to argue their case though, I guess.
You're absolutely right.

Hey everyone, listen up. This thread has turned into something that I, as the OP, never intended. I did not want to start a capacity debate, OR even a semi-auto vs revolver debate.

So. That being said, everyone do me a favor and do not post anything after this comment unless it is actually something new and constructive to say and not related to what system or preference is "better" than another.

Again, this thread was intended to simply give some people who were on the fence about revolvers a little peace of mind about using one in a defensive situation. Revolvers are not better than semi-autos, just like semi-autos are not better than wheel guns.

If this thread keeps spiraling out of control I will soon PM a mod and ask him/her to close it.

So, again, nothing new unless it actually hasn't been said before.
__________________
Always have clean socks.
JW357 is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #255
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6578 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
There were 1,824 homicides by gangs in 2011.
Actual gangs of people, or just gang related (as is a typical drive by type thing)

Quote:
In comparison, there were only 67 police officers shot in 2011

Only 3 of the 67 were shot dealing with multiple subjects during normal duty.
How many officers have dealt with groups, and were not killed?

Quote:
(There were 9 others shot dealing with multiple subjects but they wereWhy? Because cops DON'T ENGAGE GROUPS WITHOUT AN OVERWELMING AMOUNT OF BACKUP. And backup usually makes people think twice about doing something stupid.
Once again, I have said absolutely NOTHING about not having backup.

Like you, I'm done with this debate. Agree to disagree?

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 09-29-2013 at 01:57 PM.
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #256
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 0
Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
You're absolutely right.

Hey everyone, listen up. This thread has turned into something that I, as the OP, never intended. I did not want to start a capacity debate, OR even a semi-auto vs revolver debate.

So. That being said, everyone do me a favor and do not post anything after this comment unless it is actually something new and constructive to say and not related to what system or preference is "better" than another.

Again, this thread was intended to simply give some people who were on the fence about revolvers a little peace of mind about using one in a defensive situation. Revolvers are not better than semi-autos, just like semi-autos are not better than wheel guns.

If this thread keeps spiraling out of control I will soon PM a mod and ask him/her to close it.

So, again, nothing new unless it actually hasn't been said before.
it was raining realy, realy bad here yesterday and the power was out for several hours!
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #257
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Rick1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Clifton,Colorado
Posts: 4,516
Liked 2143 Times on 1175 Posts
Likes Given: 1390

Default

Do you have a generator?
__________________
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
Rick1967 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #258
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 0
Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Do you have a generator?
sort of!

power is back on now.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #259
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeltaF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Deep South USA
Posts: 3,206
Liked 2451 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

You're absolutely right.

Hey everyone, listen up. This thread has turned into something that I, as the OP, never intended. I did not want to start a capacity debate, OR even a semi-auto vs revolver debate.

So. That being said, everyone do me a favor and do not post anything after this comment unless it is actually something new and constructive to say and not related to what system or preference is "better" than another.

Again, this thread was intended to simply give some people who were on the fence about revolvers a little peace of mind about using one in a defensive situation. Revolvers are not better than semi-autos, just like semi-autos are not better than wheel guns.

If this thread keeps spiraling out of control I will soon PM a mod and ask him/her to close it.

So, again, nothing new unless it actually hasn't been said before.
This is what this thread has turned into:

image-3258613883.jpg
__________________
"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"
DeltaF is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #260
I don't come with an "edit" option....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mason609's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Quincy,MA
Posts: 1,842
Liked 919 Times on 579 Posts
Likes Given: 4839

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post

Your showing your lack of consistency again. In the "capacity" thread started by you, I remember you stating you carry a Glock 19 with a spare 15 round magazine. You're packing a whole 26 rounds of 9mm firepower. Unless you decide to pocket carry your LCP you're so fond of. Then I assume you carry even less. If you really were concerned about all that stuff, you'd be walking around with over 100 rounds of ammunition on your person at all times. BTW Marines deployed to combat typically have 6-8 30 round magazines for their M16s or M4s. Do you carry that much 9mm for your Glock? Nope. Then your argument about the military is inconsistent.
How many rounds/mags do they deploy with if they have an M9? For us (Army) it was 3 15 round mags. We also had a minimum of 7 20 round mags for our M4s.

You also need to take into consideration that the vast majority of firearms owners are not combat vets, nor are they trained in combat.

DeltaF covered this when he spoke of the adrenalin dump.

You (not specifically YOU JW, more in a broad term) can train however you want that will get your adrenalin pumping, but it's not the same effects in a fight or flight situation - that provides added fear.

In an actual SD situation where you have adrenalin pumping through you, along with fear, tunnel vision and possibly even doubt, fine motor skills will be gone.

Now, as for the topic of the thread, based on the extreme limitations that you wish to not discuss:

There are only 2 reasons to NOT carry a revolver - You don't like them, or you don't have any.

(utilizing a more realistic discussion, there are several more reasons to not carry one - but they can also apply to not carry a semi).
__________________
Insert witty comment here......


Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere
Mason609 is online now  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Gun control debate: what arguments the left will use and how to answer them FullautoUSA Legal and Activism 0 01-01-2013 03:27 PM
Refresher Course on Gun Control Arguments RJMercer Legal and Activism 0 12-31-2012 10:40 PM
Supreme Court has heard the Arguments Kelly J Legal and Activism 0 03-02-2010 07:20 PM
arguments? Braeden Ammunition & Reloading 10 07-28-2008 02:24 PM
Gun owners warn arguments endanger Second Amendment sculker The Club House 3 01-19-2008 03:30 PM



Newest Threads