Arguments against NOT carrying a revolver - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Arguments against NOT carrying a revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 11:40 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post

The fact that I have a greater effective range than a equivalent semiauto ( due to my fixed barrel, no moving slide,
effective range is the exact same on a 5 inch barrel revolver as it is on a 5 inch barrel semi auto using the exact same ammunition. design of the gun (revolver/semi) has no advantage in range over the other.

if you want to really nitpick revolvers have less muzzle velocity than an identical chambered semi due to the cylinder to forcing cone gap.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
i pocket carry a ruger lcp. its about the same thickness as a android smartphone and thats exactly what it looks like in my pocket.

put a revolver of any type in a pocket and the outline looks like a gun in your pocket.

when you pocket carry junk gets in the gun. pocket lint is a killer. with a semi auto im assured that no matter what 1 round is going off. with a revolver you get a little lint in the cylinder jamming it up and its a paperweight.

if you carry iwb or owb its a moot point on that issue

im not a fan of the long trigger pulls on da revolvers. if i was going to carry a revolver it would never be a da. while im no fan of the lcp trigger its size is a huge mitigating factor. so when i carry something larger i just dont want to be limited by the fiddly nature of revolvers.

loading a semi auto requires gross muscular skill loading a revolver requires fine muscular skill. the first thing that goes out the window when your faced with a fight or flight situation when the adrenaline gets pumping is fine motor skills. this means if you have to manipulate the firearm its gotten exponentially more difficult trying to get the round bullets in the round holes.

semi auto is easier to use under stress.
Regarding it printing in your pocket, I wouldn't know because I've never tried to carry in a pocket, and I have almost no desire to do so. But I would think this issue would again be negated by the right pocket holster, in the right pocket. Obviously too small, or too tight, of pockets shouldn't have a gun in there period.

Point well taken on the trigger pull. It's simply a matter of personal preference. A lot of guys like the longer pull as it acts as a safety, as you know. Personally, I would think a DA pull of 5-6 lbs would be ideal? I'm really not sure if that's getting into the realm of dangerous, though.

Now, loading. You're right, of course. But I still think loading a revolver with a spring loaded speed loader would negate some of the "gross motor skills vs fine motor skills" point. I don't have a spring loaded one yet, but I do have a speed loader. And loading six rounds at one time, for me, is not very difficult. I haven't done it under stress, but it still makes for an easier time of finding the holes than doing it one round at a time.

I disagree with the very last line. I don't see a semi as being easier to operate under stress. Maybe for reloading, but I'm not even convinced of that. It doesn't get much simpler to shoot under stress than a point and shoot revolver. At best, I would say semis that don't have a manual safety or grip safety are on par with a revolver in terms of ease of shoot-ability in a stressful situation. But I would argue, regarding semis with thumb safeties, that there's more than can go wrong in a stressful situation. Is there a round in the chamber? Is the safety on? Do I have the grip safety pressed properly? Oh I better be careful and not accidentally hit the magazine release button while shooting. If I do, I hope my gun doesn't have a magazine disconnect safety.

There are literally no variables at play while shooting a revolver. Draw the gun, present, pull trigger.

To each his own, of course. Like I said, I haven't made a decision about carrying a revolver for myself yet. I do have an M&Pc.

Always have clean socks.

Last edited by JW357; 08-03-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #13

Liked 2851 Times on 1689 Posts
Likes Given: 1877

what is the probability of a revolver malfunction....basically zero.

semi-auto malfunction...highly unlikely, but more than zero.

you can carry on an empty chamber in are revolver, and you are trigger pull from BANG! carry on an empty chamber in a semi-auto, you have to rack it.

i think there is an almost zero chance of unarmed multiple attackers continuing to attack once a firearm has been displayed or discharged...they will run for the hills 99.8% of the time imo.

armed multiple attackers? you are most likely F'd no matter what you carry. clint eastwood and mel gibson do great in the movies in this scenerio, but in real life....

my opinion, the sight of firearm will defuse most situations. this is perhaps the BEST scenario in a self defense situation. if it ends without someone getting hurt or killed, it was a very successful use of a CC imo.

in a true firefight, the revolver is at a disadvantage, but that doesn't mean it loses the battle. ability with any given firearm is more important.

i just wish it was legal to CC a sawed off pistol grip shotgun.........that would end this debate.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #14

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
effective range is the exact same on a 5 inch barrel revolver as it is on a 5 inch barrel semi auto using the exact same ammunition. design of the gun (revolver/semi) has no advantage in range over the other.

if you want to really nitpick revolvers have less muzzle velocity than an identical chambered semi due to the cylinder to forcing cone gap.
Your rith about the forcing cone gap but a same lenght of barrel auto is still at a disadvantage given its non fixed barrell.

I know there are target semi auto loaders out there etc.. just referring to the most common designs

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Old 08-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #15

Liked 2851 Times on 1689 Posts
Likes Given: 1877

oh...and have slid my un-holstered 640 into my short pockets and it doesn't print at all??

Old 08-04-2013, 01:05 AM   #16

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1944

I, eh, it's good to see you agree with me,

when I'm carrying a revolver ?

Old 08-04-2013, 01:35 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Regarding it printing in your pocket, I wouldn't know because I've never tried to carry in a pocket, and I have almost no desire to do so. But I would think this issue would again be negated by the right pocket holster, in the right pocket. Obviously too small, or too tight, of pockets shouldn't have a gun in there period.

Point well taken on the trigger pull. It's simply a matter of personal preference. A lot of guys like the longer pull as it acts as a safety, as you know. Personally, I would think a DA pull of 5-6 lbs would be ideal? I'm really not sure if that's getting into the realm of dangerous, though.

Now, loading. You're right, of course. But I still think loading a revolver with a spring loaded speed loader would negate some of the "gross motor skills vs fine motor skills" point. I don't have a spring loaded one yet, but I do have a speed loader. And loading six rounds at one time, for me, is not very difficult. I haven't done it under stress, but it still makes for an easier time of finding the holes than doing it one round at a time.

I disagree with the very last line. I don't see a semi as being easier to operate under stress. Maybe for reloading, but I'm not even convinced of that. It doesn't get much simpler to shoot under stress than a point and shoot revolver. At best, I would say semis that don't have a manual safety or grip safety are on par with a revolver in terms of ease of shoot-ability in a stressful situation. But I would argue, regarding semis with thumb safeties, that there's more than can go wrong in a stressful situation. Is there a round in the chamber? Is the safety on? Do I have the grip safety pressed properly? Oh I better be careful and not accidentally hit the magazine release button while shooting. If I do, I hope my gun doesn't have a magazine disconnect safety.

There are literally no variables at play while shooting a revolver. Draw the gun, present, pull trigger.

To each his own, of course. Like I said, I haven't made a decision about carrying a revolver for myself yet. I do have an M&Pc.

lots of places you might wantt o carry and be uber discrete. ive never seen a holster that when you put it in a pocket doesnt make it look like a gun is banging around in there when it comes to revolvers. they are just too wide.

unless there is a armed guard on the door with a metal detector wanding everyone im carrying a firearm.

i can tell you from experience loading a revolver fast is not an easy task under the effects of adrenaline even if you train hard. doing a bunch of running in place excersises situps push ups etc is NOT the same as someone trying to use you as a bullet stop.

the main reason police and military switched to semi auto is because it is easier to operate under stress. pull gun pull trigger if reload is needed big square metal block in big hole pull slide. revolvers you either load one at a time or a speed loader wher all the rounds have to line up with each hole to get loaded AFTER you shake the old ones out some of which might stick in the chambers. requires a lot of gun manipulation.

i no more would carry a revolver with a empty chamber than i would a semi with an empty chamber so if im carrying it its got a round in the pipe.

revolver and semi are pretty equal up to the point you gotta load em up. thats where the big difference is. everything else is personal pref. if revolvers were easier the military and police agencies would still be using them. it costs a LOT to train someone to use a revolver well under stress its VERY easy to train someone to use a semiauto under stress. its why you dont see nations arming their front line soldiers with bolt actions.

its cheaper to handout a lot of bullets and hope for a hit than it is to train someone to be really proficient with a revolver or bolt gun.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Mason609 Likes This 
Old 08-04-2013, 01:36 AM   #18

Liked 742 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Hospital parking garage in a bad neighborhood, 11pm, most of the lights dont work. Security Guard is asleep in his booth 4 floors down. bad guys travel in packs around here......I like knowing i have the 16rnds of .40 And i dont care if it "prints". Once im in the garage, i usually walk with it in my hand anyway. And YES...it has saved my a55 more than once.....

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Last edited by readygirl; 08-04-2013 at 01:38 AM.
People Like This 
Old 08-04-2013, 01:39 AM   #19

Liked 1839 Times on 1025 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

I do not have a problem carrying either a revolver or an auto. I carry both. I have a 38 +p J frame that I pocket carry. I also have a Kahr CM9 that I pocket. I carry a bunch of different autos owb. But I also have a 4 inch 629. That is a 44 mag. I just shot the IDPA qualifier this morning with the 44. I was a score keeper. So I was paying attention to everyone's times. I am quite proficient with a speed loader. My times were better than some of the auto shooters.

When it comes to multiple attackers... I think if I get off 2 shots with a 44 mag I don't think anyone is going to stick around. However if they do, again I am good to go with a speed loader.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:49 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 479 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Revolvers are more dependable. They don't care what you load in them they are going to go bang.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

bluez Likes This