Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Arguments against NOT carrying a revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #171
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I run with either the G19 or the Smith SD40. Neither are that expensive but are fairly "conceal friendly" and they eat anything I feed them and have never failed! I can crack off 15 rounds in less than 6 seconds and I challenge any revolver owner to approach that speed! Revolver owners can argue they don't need 15 rounds but they can not argue the fact that the semis can get there faster! So if your comfortable with 6-8 vs 15-17, revolver should be your choice! But for the life of me, I can not understand that logic even with the best reloaders.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #172

Liked 35 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'll pick a revolver every time - accuracy, dependability, easy to conceal, smooth operating, etc

Old 09-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #173
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1242 Times on 719 Posts
Likes Given: 1874

I'm an old geezer, and in the '40s and '50s when I was growing up, revolvers were the gun of choice, except for the 1911's used by the military and people who brought them home from the military. When I joined the Marines in '61, the 1911 was still the handgun. Semiautos other than the 1911 were reputed to be unreliable, inaccurate, and under powered, as most of them were little .25's, .38 Super was pretty big, and 9MM's were few and far between. Only in the '80s did semiautos begin to be developed that were reliable, powerful, and high capacity. I finally bought a semiauto, a Taurus PT-101 .40 S&W in '93. I was amazed at the accuracy, reliability, and ease of concealment. Since then, I've bought about a dozen revolvers, but also a dozen semiautos. All of my semi's are reliable, as accurate as I am, and I carry semiautos or revolvers as the situation seems to dictate. Revolvers in the woods and other rural environments where bears and wolves roam. Semiautos in urban environments. At night when in bed, I have a semiauto in bed with me (no, it doesn't have any hair around the muzzle ), and a big Dan Wesson revolver with 8-inch barrel in case someone outside decides to shoot up my house. I also have a Mossberg 500 pump 12 ga standing in the corner beside my bed.
So both types of handgun are useful in certain circumstances. Carry what fits the occasion to the best of your knowledge.
P.S. I have a piddly little Davis Derringer in .38 spl, that I carried as a backup for a while in the '90s, but discontinued using it pretty quickly because it is a (very stiff) single action, 2-shot .38 with a little bitty grip and a short barrel. It shoots surprisingly straight if I have several seconds to cock it, aim it, and slowly squeeze it off, but in a life-or-death situation, you can't call a time-out while you get ready to shoot.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 09-28-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #174

Liked 106 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 132

There is one possibility, but it is not a reason not to carry a revolver. If I were going to carry a handgun in a jacket pocket in my hand it would only be my Dick Special. Just in case I needed to set my jacket on fire by shooting thru the pocket. Like one of the other posters I would prefer to carry a long gun but when I pull out onto the gravel to check the in laws house it's trouble and a ticket if the rifle is loaded and since it would be in the carrier on my four wheeler it probably would come up if seen by the cops or game and fish. A handgun in a vest or jacket pocket is legal and unseen. In a holster or even Mexican carry I would almost always go semi. Even so I have five revolvers and none are for sale.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #175
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512

I don't buy into the capacity-rules-all argument, either.

Etc. etc. etc.
Guess you didn't notice, but JWs "done with you." You might as well be talking to a brick wall right now.

And just so you know, the recoil for .357 magnum out of a heavier revolver is easy to manage when compared to a subcompact 9mm like a ruger LC9. The recoil for a full size heavier 9mm like a Glock 34 is much easier to manage than the recoil out of a smaller and lighter .357 revolver.

Recoil management has much more to do with the weight and ergonomics of the firearm than what caliber you're shooting and whether its a semi or a revolver. I've shot semis with horrible recoil. I've shot revolvers with great recoil. I've had the reverse as well,

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 09-28-2013 at 10:11 PM.
terilafaye Likes This 
Old 09-28-2013, 10:43 PM   #176
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1037 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Guess you didn't notice, but JWs "done with you." You might as well be talking to a brick wall right now.
Delta, I'm not trying to convince JW of anything, mostly because he never could be convinced of anything, just all the novices out there who might read his ill-conceived advice and think that a revolver is equivalent to a semi-auto for SD, because it is not.

When you don't have logical arguments to present because the facts don't agree with your interpretation of what makes sense from a cost/benefit approach you stop arguing because all the rest of the world will know how biased or prejudiced you are... or in your case you start calling people names because you're more mature than the rest of us are, as evidenced by your prior posts.

Quote:
And just so you know, the recoil for .357 magnum out of a heavier revolver is easy to manage when compared to a subcompact 9mm like a ruger LC9. The recoil for a full size heavier 9mm like a Glock 34 is much easier to manage than the recoil out of a smaller and lighter revolver.
I've shot most variations of the Glock design, the M&P design, the HK designs, and the Ruger designs, along with a variety of .357 Magnum revolvers (Colt, Ruger, S&W) from snubbies to hunting pieces. Good to know.

Quote:
Recoil management has much more to do with the weight and ergonomics of the firearm than what caliber you're shooting and whether its a semi or a revolver. I've shot semis with horrible recoil. I've shot revolvers with great recoil. I've had the reverse as well,
Apparently your department agrees with me because you stated that you were issued or purchased a Glock 23, not a .357 Magnum revolver. S&W also makes the M&P, which is also a better choice for SD.

You can get a Ruger GP100 for about the same price as a Glock 20, it weighs substantially more than the Glock and holds, like most revolvers, just 6 rounds. So, yes, if you were so inclined you could purchase a revolver that weighs as much empty as a fully loaded Glock 20, doesn't come from the factory ready to accept a white light, and holds 10 fewer rounds of ammunition. You could also purchase lighter, smaller .357 Magnum revolvers that are more difficult to shoot well that also don't accept white lights and only hold 5 or 6 rounds.

Alternatively, if you just had to have a more powerful handgun because bigger bullets or more powerful bullets are "better", in your mind, for a SD or a concealed carry piece then you could just get a Glock 20 and use the extra money you saved over the TRR8 or R8 for ammunition, a SureFire X300, tritium sights, and/or a laser.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #177
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6562 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

FBI statistics.

1 shot kill percentage.

Cor-Bon JHP +P 90 0.58 9.0in 467psi 70.0% 10.2 sec 380acp
Cor-Bon JHP 115gr 0.55in 14.2in 626psi 90.6% 8.8 sec 9mm
Federal Classic 125 0.65 12.0in 1487psi 95.8% 5.7 sec 357 mag
Remington Golden Saber0.68 12.0in 771psi 93.8% 7.9 sec 40 S&W
Cor-Bon JHP 185 0.7 11.3in 920psi 91.7% 7.2 sec 45 ACP

A 357 Magnum has an almost 96% chance of killing an attacker with a single shot (depending on shot placement). A revolver gives you 6-8. The chances of needing to actually pull your gun are low. The chances of having to fire you gun are even lower. The chances of having to use more than 2-3 rounds is extremely low. The chances of having to reload and keep shooting are unbelievably low. The chances of needing more than 12 rounds are beyond low.

A revolver is fine for self defense use. They have been used for almost 200 years for that purpose, and will continued to be used in the future.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 09-28-2013 at 11:10 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #178

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

[QUOTE="texaswoodworker"]FBI statistics. 1 shot kill percentage. Cor-Bon JHP +P 90 0.58 9.0in 467psi 70.0% 10.2 sec 380acp Cor-Bon JHP 115gr 0.55in 14.2in 626psi 90.6% 8.8 sec 9mm Federal Classic 125 0.65 12.0in 1487psi 95.8% 5.7 sec 357 mag Remington Golden Saber0.68 12.0in 771psi 93.8% 7.9 sec 40 S&W Cor-Bon JHP 185 0.7 11.3in 920psi 91.7% 7.2 sec 45 ACP A 357 Magnum has an almost 96% chance of killing an attacker with a single shot (depending on shot placement). A revolver gives you 6-8. The chances of needing to actually pull your gun are low. The chances of having to fire you gun are even lower. The chances of having to use more than 2-3 rounds is extremely low. The chances of having to reload and keep shooting are unbelievably low. The chances of needing more than 12 rounds are beyond low. A revolver is fine for self defense use. They have been used for almost 200 years for that purpose, and will continued to be used in the future.[/QUOT

Has someone answered my question to why LE has switched from 38s to 9s, 40s and or 45s! And why they never switched back? Even there backup guns are small 9s or 380s!
I want what they use, cause I would have to believe they have done studies and stats would point out, what is most effective and efficient In every situation! Maybe I'm completely wrong and they just woke up one day and decided to switch for no rhyme or reason!

Old 09-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #179
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512

Delta, I'm not trying to convince JW of anything, mostly because he never could be convinced of anything, just all the novices out there who might read his ill-conceived advice and think that a revolver is equivalent to a semi-auto for SD, because it is not.
There is no "Ill conceived advice" here. Simply what was a polite and friendly (until you showed up) debate about reasons to carry or not to carry a revolver.

Quote:
Apparently your department agrees with me because you stated that you were issued or purchased a Glock 23, not a .357 Magnum revolver. S&W also makes the M&P, which is also a better choice for SD.
No, I opted to buy a gen3 Glock 22 10 years ago. My department issues Glock 22s Glock 19s, Glock 26s AND S&W 38s depending on division and assignment.

The best weapon to carry for SD is the one you are proficient with. (As long as the SD ammo has passed the FBI Penetration Standards.) Which is why I carry what I carry. I am the most proficient with my Glock 22. Whenever practical that is what I carry.

I have friends who cannot hit the broad side of the barn with a Glock 19 but shoot perfect scores with their revolvers. I happen to be blessed with the ability and experience to be proficient with both.

THE ONLY valid difference between a semi and a revolver is capacity and tactical reload speed. And with practice I've seen some exceptional revolver shooters reload their revolvers almost as fast (some faster) than I do with a Glock 22 and a magazine. Which leaves capacity.

JW took capacity out of the debate because that's all this would turn into, and we just had an all out debate on capacity that went on for pages and pages and recycled the same arguments over and over.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 09-28-2013, 11:33 PM   #180
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6562 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
Has someone answered my question to why LE has switched from 38s to 9s, 40s and or 45s! And why they never switched back? Even there backup guns are small 9s or 380s!
I want what they use, cause I would have to believe they have done studies and stats would point out, what is most effective and efficient In every situation! Maybe I'm completely wrong and they just woke up one day and decided to switch for no rhyme or reason!
They switched because they purposely put themselves in dangerous situations. How many civilians do you know that go out and make arrests, stop robberies, get into high speed pursuits, and deal with druggies and their dealers?

The normal civilians does not put themselves into these situations on purpose. An officer's duty is to stop crimes. A civilians duty is to stay alive. HUGE difference.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 09-28-2013 at 11:52 PM.