Arguments against NOT carrying a revolver - Page 15
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Arguments against NOT carrying a revolver


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #141
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,716
Liked 3733 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post

JW am I dreaming or did that fruitcake tell you that you're too stupid to reload, need to move to a different state, need to stop carrying your revolvers and need to start strapping a battle rifle to your chest every time you leave the house?

It's got to be a dream. Nobody lives that far outside of reality do they?

If that guy isn't a 12 year old, and is an adult with a CCP I just might change my stance on gun control. Because someone that far out of touch with the real world who actually has a gun scares the crap out of me.
Yeah I thought we were having a reasonable, open minded discussion about the possible merits of a revolver. I guess I was wrong.

If those are the best responses he can come up with (and not really even actually refuting any of my points BTW), I suppose I'm done here.
__________________
Always have clean socks.
JW357 is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #142
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,716
Liked 3733 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Move to a free state. Carry a high-capacity semi-auto. Smile, your favorite mythical deity of choice loves you. Life is good. Carry 10MM if you think slightly bigger or more powerful bullets are a substitute for better shot placement or more rounds on target. Hopefully that theory will never have a chance meeting with reality.
And its funny. He won't tell me which deity to claim but he will tell me what weapon to carry.
__________________
Always have clean socks.

Last edited by JW357; 09-27-2013 at 01:48 PM.
JW357 is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #143
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northeast San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,714
Liked 809 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

It all boils down to what you are comfortable with I carry my xd40 and my snub 38 special as a bug. I have read of situations where semi autos had slides go out of battery when doing a body contact shot which is a possibility if your grappling with a bg not a problem with the revolver though
__________________
this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.
seancslaughter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #144
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
eatmydust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 4,366
Liked 3621 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 2524

Default

Personally, I have not seen any reasonable arguments posted here "for not carrying a revolver", however, I have seen several valid arguments for "and carrying a revolver."

And yes I have read most of the posts in this thread, and yes I understand peoples differing opinions, I'm still very comfortable and secure when I carry my wheel gun.
__________________
"Your fear is 100% dependent on you for it's survival." - Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free
eatmydust is offline  
Mason609 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #145
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,015
Liked 1369 Times on 761 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
JW am I dreaming or did that fruitcake tell you that you're too stupid to reload, need to move to a different state, need to stop carrying your revolvers and need to start strapping a battle rifle to your chest every time you leave the house?

It's got to be a dream. Nobody lives that far outside of reality do they?

If that guy isn't a 12 year old, and is an adult with a CCP I just might change my stance on gun control. Because someone that far out of touch with the real world who actually has a gun scares the crap out of me.
No Delta, I said don't subject yourself to your own stupidity. Unless you make fewer mistakes than the computers that control the machines at the ammo factories, which is probably about as likely as being struck by lightning, then you're subjecting yourself to more potential problems than you need to (something JW stated that he wanted to avoid). He already stated that he can't load ammo well enough to make his M&P cycle reliably, which should be a small clue that reloading is not for him (or at least it would be for me if I was reloading).

If you feel the need to do so much mental masturbation over carrying the type of weapon you personally like to carry while ignoring all the rest of reality then go to a place where you can carry whatever strikes your fancy so you can stop hiding behind "following the law" or other silly excuses for not using modern technology and come to terms with your own pride and prejudices- thing that have little to do with logic.

I said IF he's going to OC a weapon, something JW said he wanted to do and not something KBD ever stated that he wanted to do, why not go for the gold and carry a rifle? Or just carry concealed.

Somehow someone who calls people names over the internet and clearly can't read who wrote what is "in-touch" with reality and is worried about everyone else who's "out-of-touch"? Tell me more...

Honestly, why does everyone get so butt-hurt when someone tells them that they think they're making choices based on personal preferences instead of logic and numbers? Anyone else here ever heard the expression, "take the point, not the arrow"?

Unless my reading skills aren't as good as I thought they were, the title of the tread was "Arguments against NOT carrying a revolver". The OP then goes on to state that he doesn't want to hear about the most obvious way in which semi-auto's are better than revolvers for SD. Really? Because it invalidates your argument?

Delta, if it gives your butt a warm, fuzzy, less hurtful feeling I'll start an "Arguments for carrying a revolver" thread wherein we can all make arguments for carrying them.

How many times did I say carry whatever you like?

Do people just post things here because they want others to agree with them, like some sort of support group for alternative reality decision making? If you don't agree with me, you're 12 years old, you're out of touch with reality, and you shouldn't have a gun? That sounds like perfectly reasonable thinking to me. Will I be called a poo-poo head in your next post?

I don't care if people disagree with me or not, they're welcome to write whatever they want to me. It's not personal to me because I take the point, which some others are clearly incapable of doing once their choice of gun, hunting dog, pickup truck, or whatever else is questioned.
kbd512 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #146
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,716
Liked 3733 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

I didn't say I can't reload ammo well enough to make my M&Ps cycle reliably. I said I am not precise enough. Let me clarify. I choose not to be because 95% of the ones I load cycle just find. I'm not going to take extra time away from my family for roughly 5% of my rounds unless I get into competition shooting. At which point I will refine my loads.

Until then I'll continue doing what I'm doing. Since nothing dangerous has happened I'll continue "subjecting myself to my own stupidity" and being able to shoot a lot more because I reload.

I still don't understand why you are saying semis are "better" than revolvers. Seriously, why? Is it the capacity thing? Because you haven't addressed any of my arguments including the one refuting the capacity argument.

And in terms of a rifle. That's just too inconvenient and there's too much of a stigma associated with it. Ill stick to a handgun.
__________________
Always have clean socks.
JW357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #147
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,015
Liked 1369 Times on 761 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
I didn't say I can't reload ammo well enough to make my M&Ps cycle reliably. I said I am not precise enough. Let me clarify. I choose not to be because 95% of the ones I load cycle just find. I'm not going to take extra time away from my family for roughly 5% of my rounds unless I get into competition shooting. At which point I will refine my loads.

Until then I'll continue doing what I'm doing. Since nothing dangerous has happened I'll continue "subjecting myself to my own stupidity" and being able to shoot a lot more because I reload.

I still don't understand why you are saying semis are "better" than revolvers. Seriously, why? Is it the capacity thing? Because you haven't addressed any of my arguments including the one refuting the capacity argument.

And in terms of a rifle. That's just too inconvenient and there's too much of a stigma associated with it. Ill stick to a handgun.
JW, let me put it this way.

You can chop a tree down with an axe or a chainsaw. I know this because I've done both on my family's farm, not because I've read it somewhere on the internet or because I was trying to participate in some sort of bizarre, misguided tree chopping pissing contest.

My personal preference is the chainsaw because it does the job faster. I can chop down a lot more trees with the chainsaw in a given amount of time, and I'm not out of breath after chopping down several trees.

My father prefers the axe, but recognizes that the chainsaw has its place. In deference to his personal wishes, when in his presence I use my axe. The argument was some obscure reference to not disturbing the neighbors and the relatively "safety" of the axe over the chainsaw. To appease him, when he's working with me, I use the axe. On my own recognizance I use a chainsaw because I get more work done and I've never injured myself with either tool.

With respect to a revolver, it's an accurate, functional, usable tool, but... sometimes you miss, sometimes you need to reload (maybe even with one hand, which is kinda hard to do with a revolver), sometimes you don't want to carry a heavier tool that does the same thing that a lighter tool does for less money. Sometimes having 18 rounds of 9MM works just as well as 8 more powerful, more difficult to control, and more expensive .357 Magnum rounds. Sooner or later you might come to the conclusion that there's no such thing as magic bullets and I've never heard anyone complain about all the ammunition they had after a gunfight.

Once again, carry what you like, but trying to contrive a scenario where a revolver is better than or equivalent to a high capacity semi-auto seems like an unnecessary thought exercise to me. When I have technology available to me, I use it to greatest extent I know how and don't worry about whether or not I could have made do with lesser technology.
kbd512 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #148
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
magnumman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: pa
Posts: 544
Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

My revolver weighs 16.2 oz loaded. I don't know why you keep bringing up weight. And both semis and revolvers and semis were invented in the 1800's so I don't know what you mean by modern. Both have been advancing their actions and materials since their inventions, while the basic function has changed very little. As for capacity. I have a hard time dressing around a big pistol, and I'll take a 5 shot revolver over a 6-7 shot semi because I shoot them better.
magnumman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #149
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cherry Valley,Arkansas
Posts: 440
Liked 115 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Default

One of the subjects mentioned here was reloading the revolver. I got pretty quick back in my S&W wheelgun days, but I know from watching that I wasn't the only one that ended up with a case stuck in the cylinder star sometimes. It is much harder to clear than dumping a mag, pulling the slide and reloading with your spare mag. it is also easier to hide mags, I can stick a loaded double mag pouch in my hip pocket most times.
p35bhp55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #150
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
I didn't say I can't reload ammo well enough to make my M&Ps cycle reliably. I said I am not precise enough. Let me clarify. I choose not to be because 95% of the ones I load cycle just find. I'm not going to take extra time away from my family for roughly 5% of my rounds unless I get into competition shooting. At which point I will refine my loads.

Until then I'll continue doing what I'm doing. Since nothing dangerous has happened I'll continue "subjecting myself to my own stupidity" and being able to shoot a lot more because I reload.

I still don't understand why you are saying semis are "better" than revolvers. Seriously, why? Is it the capacity thing? Because you haven't addressed any of my arguments including the one refuting the capacity argument.

And in terms of a rifle. That's just too inconvenient and there's too much of a stigma associated with it. Ill stick to a handgun.
JW, don't waste your time arguing with him. I've been down that path, and it isn't worth the headaches. After he started claiming that GLOCKS were better than 1911s because GLOCKS use "less parts", I knew he was full of BS.
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Gun control debate: what arguments the left will use and how to answer them FullautoUSA Legal and Activism 0 01-01-2013 03:27 PM
Refresher Course on Gun Control Arguments RJMercer Legal and Activism 0 12-31-2012 10:40 PM
Supreme Court has heard the Arguments Kelly J Legal and Activism 0 03-02-2010 07:20 PM
arguments? Braeden Ammunition & Reloading 10 07-28-2008 02:24 PM
Gun owners warn arguments endanger Second Amendment sculker The Club House 3 01-19-2008 03:30 PM



Newest Threads