Arguments against NOT carrying a revolver - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Arguments against NOT carrying a revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Sorry for the Grammar mistake. Give me an F on my report card! And is all but impossible to discuss this thread without bringing up the capacity debate! And that's a fact not an opinion.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #112
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 971 Times on 641 Posts
Likes Given: 1253

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Not counting rounds fired?

Not fully ejecting cases?

Not shooting it enough and fully appreciating its true beauty and wonder???
DING DING DING Winnah Winnah Chicken Dinnah.... Tell him what he's won Morty!.. JW you've won 100 honest to goodness interwebz points redeemable at any interwebz boutiques you find out here in the waste lands..... Back to you ST~....

JW we are going to add to your prize package another 200 interwebz points for your additional PRO TIPS #1 and #3.... Maintaining round count in battle is a self sufficient skill to master indeed!

It is my experience on the firing line that OPERATOR error will lead to a equipment malfunction in unloading the revolver. Many fail to allow gravity to assist when dumping spent cases. Which leads to cases behind "The Star" and require a certain amount of time to clear and reload. Ultimate FUBAR... Just remember as they were trained barrel points up to the sky as extractor rod is pressed.

Become steel or get cut.
People Like This 
Old 09-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #113
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon View Post
DING DING DING Winnah Winnah Chicken Dinnah.... Tell him what he's won Morty!.. JW you've won 100 honest to goodness interwebz points redeemable at any interwebz boutiques you find out here in the waste lands..... Back to you ST~....

JW we are going to add to your prize package another 200 interwebz points for your additional PRO TIPS #1 and #3.... Maintaining round count in battle is a self sufficient skill to master indeed!

It is my experience on the firing line that OPERATOR error will lead to a equipment malfunction in unloading the revolver. Many fail to allow gravity to assist when dumping spent cases. Which leads to cases behind "The Star" and require a certain amount of time to clear and reload. Ultimate FUBAR... Just remember as they were trained barrel points up to the sky as extractor rod is pressed.
Wow so I'm up to a whole 300 interwebz points. I feel rich.

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 09-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #114
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

I know this is totally silly, but the thought just hit me. Why not carry both? Like a 4" .357 revolver on one side, and a 4.25" .45 auto on the other side.
If you empty the .357 and the perp(s) can still function, grab the .45 and keep on shooting. All you have to deal with then is the sore back you get from lugging them around.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #115
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

well i don't feel in the least undergunned with only a 5 shot 44 Magnum!

simple reasoning. learn to use what you have and to use it well and accurately. whether it be a revolver or a semi-auto.

this discussion is very much similair to how many mags to carry for your semi-auto.

and another simple truth. any pistol, even a revolver is better than nothing.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #116

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

I really don't understand the debate here. It's really just a question of personal preference. My CC firearm is a Ruger LCR with Buffalo Bore +P .38 specials and a Bianchi speed strip with 6 extra rounds. I never feel under gunned with this combination and as far as capacity the reason the military and police carry high cap autos is that they are often in fire fights with multiple targets. I'm not saying that can't happen to a civilian with a CC permit but it is highly unlikely. An overwhelming majority of encounters involving civilians end with no or a couple of shots fired. If you prefer an auto than by all means carry it, I just don't get the way auto carriers act like those with a revolver are archaic.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #117

Liked 79 Times on 55 Posts

[QUOTE="John_Deer. I can take my old charter and knock a young buck to his knees. If he wants to get back up we can play whack a mole. Between being blinded with his own blood and the knot on his head the odds are good he will stay down.[/QUOTE]

Goodluck with that. Maybe in the middle of the harsh lesson he's learning he pulls out a weapon,, a gun or maybe a knife, from that close distance even a knife slash to the inner thigh( femoral artery ) will give you about 30 seconds to get right with God.. my point is, if I have to show a BG my pistol,, I'm not trying to teach him a lesson. I'm going to STOP the threat. Period. It'll be a lesson he's not around to learn.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #118
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder51
I really don't understand the debate here. It's really just a question of personal preference. My CC firearm is a Ruger LCR with Buffalo Bore +P .38 specials and a Bianchi speed strip with 6 extra rounds. I never feel under gunned with this combination and as far as capacity the reason the military and police carry high cap autos is that they are often in fire fights with multiple targets. I'm not saying that can't happen to a civilian with a CC permit but it is highly unlikely. An overwhelming majority of encounters involving civilians end with no or a couple of shots fired. If you prefer an auto than by all means carry it, I just don't get the way auto carriers act like those with a revolver are archaic.
This is impossible to answer adequately without turning things into a capacity debate, but your premise of law enforcement officers carrying high capacity only because they are often engaging multiple threats is simply incorrect. There are multiple reasons law enforcement officers have given up carrying revolvers in favor of higher capacity weapons. ALL of those reasons are applicable to civilians except a few nuances that have nothing to do with the actual function of the firearm. And the primary reasons have nothing to do with multiple targets.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 09-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #119
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Say WHAT?!?!

That's nucking futs. If you are close enough to stick your gun in the "bad guy's" chest you have let things escalate too far. The reason I would have a gun is to keep them at a distance.
Tell that to the countless battered spouses that have to fire contact shots to survive.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #120
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
Here is one point that no one thought to cover. Most revolvers make a damn good club. Not every self defense situation requires the use of deadly force, unless you happen to be NYPD. I have knocked some 300 lb football players cold with a roll of dimes. I am an old freak now. I need a little more help. I can take my old charter and knock a young buck to his knees. If he wants to get back up we can play whack a mole. Between being blinded with his own blood and the knot on his head the odds are good he will stay down.
1) Glocks work just fine for pistol whipping people. They can also be fired after being dropped out of an airplane. The old Sigs have even more weight to them and I personally know of several people who used them to pistol whip someone and had no issues with them firing afterwards. The Sigs were infamous for this at one of the offices I worked for.

2) If I draw my firearm its to meet an immediate threat of loss of life or grave bodily injury. It is because deadly force is imminently necessary. If deadly force isn't necessary you should NEVER display your unholstered firearm on the street for ANY reason including pistol whipping someone. Just because it looked good in a movie or some knucklehead I know did it off the record doesn't mean its a good idea. In fact in some states thats enough for an attempted murder charge.

3) NYPD does not resort to deadly force in all situations. They have a use of force continuum that moves from officer presence up through different levels of control to deadly force just like every other police department in America. And when another gun or any weapon capable of causing grave bodily harm or death is involved, the situation for the LEO is almost always at deadly force right from the start. Not just in New York, but everywhere in the US.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 09-25-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Mason609 Likes This