Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Arguments against NOT carrying a revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3720 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

First, let me preface with a few things.

1) Being in Kalifornia, I do not yet have a CC permit here, so I do not carry.
2) This is not intended to be an argument to try to get everyone to carry a revolver; I am simply trying to dispel some of the popular arguments against carrying wheel guns.

Here we go:

Argument against carrying a revolver, #1
Limited capacity.

This is a valid argument, and if I were to carry a revolver it might scare me if I were to be attacked by three or more attackers.

A revolver typically has six rounds, sometimes five. What do you say to people who carry a .380, or a single stacked 9mm? Those types of guns typically have very similar capacity to a wheel gun. I would take six rounds of .38 Special +p anyway over the same amount of .380. An XDs in .45 ACP has 5+1, IIRC.

If people can be comfortable carrying 6 rounds of .380 why can't they be comfortable carrying 6 rounds of .357 Magnum or .38 +p ?

Argument against carrying a revolver, #2
Slow reload time

Any gun will have a slow reload time if you don't train with it. To me, once proficiency in the manual of arms is established, the next priority needs to be reloads. Even someone who carries a Glock 19 with a billion rounds in the magazine might have to reload. Most high capacity guys I know carry an extra magazine anyway, so right there they are admitting they might have to reload.

If I were to train reloads on a revolver under situations where I have elevated adrenaline, such as after sprinting and whatnot, I bet I could get pretty quick with it. Especially if I used a spring-loaded speed loader, which I would if I were to carry a wheel gun. Last I checked those things are about $10-15 online, which is half the cost of most cheap magazines for semi-autos. Train with it, and I guarantee any wheel gun carrier can reload as fast as someone carrying a semi.

Argument against carrying a revolver, #3
Weight

I personally consider this a throw-away argument because there are plenty of quality lightweight revolvers out there. S&W air weight J-Frames, Ruger LCRs, etc. the lightest .357 Magnum revolver is the S&W 340, 5 shot capacity, at 12 ounces. The lightest 9mm is the Diamondback DB9 at 11 ounces, 6 + 1. To me its so close that it isn't even an issue.

Argument against carrying a revolver, #4
Revolvers are antiquated technology

Please. Why do semis have an advantage? Because of their capacity, which I've already talked about? How about because of their reload time, which I've already talked about? Maybe in their size. The cylinder on a revolver does lend itself to be wider than most, if not all, semis. But this isn't always a disadvantage. Some people's bodies are built to accept the shape a revolver better than the flat sides of a semi-auto.

I honestly can't think of any other relatively valid arguments against revolvers. Perhaps you guys can contribute something I missed, and we can have a reasonable discussion.

For what it's worth, the gun I've selected as my carry piece, for when I do get the permit, is a S&W M&P9c. But I have put serious thought into revolvers and single stacked 9mms. And I haven't ruled either out. At the end of the day, I want to be able to carry something I am comfortable with, regardless of the weather or my clothing.

The bottom line is, carry something you are comfortable with, you shoot well, you reload fast, something you don't mind being taken away if you are involved in a shooting. Regardless of its platform or caliber.

And don't begrudge someone for their carry choice. Doing so only shows a lack of maturity and ignorance on your part.

EDIT: this post ended up being a lot longer than I had anticipated. Sorry about that. But I assure you, it was more painful for me to type it than it was for you to read it, as I did so on an iPad.

Always have clean socks.

Last edited by JW357; 08-03-2013 at 07:52 PM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #2

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I would never argue against carrying a revolver. I normally carry a semi-auto, but sometimes I feel I need to bond more with my 2.5" barrel Model 19, and never feel under armed. I'm comfortable carrying either.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum
But sometimes I feel I need to bond more with my 2.5" barrel Model 19, and never feel under armed.
Nice gun. I have it's stainless brother, the 66-2 in the same barrel. I love it.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #4

Liked 342 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There is some merit to the multiple attackers scenario. That said, it's doubtful the others have to stones to continue after one of theirs is hit, particularly in the dark or subdued light when they encounter noise, muzzle and side flash of a short barrel revolver. High ammo capacity's no guarantee either. The Kehoe Brothers shootout with the Ohio State Patrol is still on You Tube. The Trooper empties his mag at a distance of 10 feet and hits nothing. Statistics show most SD episodes are 1-3 shots. I don't care what your EDC is, if you have to reload, it's no longer SD, it's a fire fight. In that case you're in deep excrement.
People Like This 
Old 08-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19455 Times on 11053 Posts
Likes Given: 49056

if a person can shoot well and accurately with a revolver and practices with it on regular basis, i see nothing wrong with carrying a revolver over a semi-auto.

a person can apply the same reasoning to the revolver vs. semi-auto debate, just like the caliber debate. same reasoning applies IMO. accurate shot placement trumps magazine capacity. hits with a revolver trump misses with a semi-auto pistol.

good post JW!

People Like This 
Old 08-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
There is some merit to the multiple attackers scenario. That said, it's doubtful the others have to stones to continue after one of theirs is hit, particularly in the dark or subdued light when they encounter noise, muzzle and side flash of a short barrel revolver. High ammo capacity's no guarantee either. The Kehoe Brothers shootout with the Ohio State Patrol is still on You Tube. The Trooper empties his mag at a distance of 10 feet and hits nothing. Statistics show most SD episodes are 1-3 shots. I don't care what your EDC is, if you have to reload, it's no longer SD, it's a fire fight. In that case you're in deep excrement.
I agree on all points about the multiple attackers scenario. Also, to add to it, I believe every person needs to be able hit what he's aiming at. And needs to train accordingly.

Personally I feel confident enough that if I'm in a SD situation from say, ten feet, with any of my current firearms, I should be able to make six well aimed hits to six attackers. Of course the situation dictates. But I don't feel like I need 18 rounds. If I run into more than six bad guys at one time anyway, either the rest will run when I start shooting it I will get shot before I can shoot them all. Regardless of platform I'm using.

Always have clean socks.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
if a person can shoot well and accurately with a revolver and practices with it on regular basis, i see nothing wrong with carrying a revolver over a semi-auto.

a person can apply the same reasoning to the revolver vs. semi-auto debate, just like the caliber debate. same reasoning applies IMO. accurate shot placement trumps magazine capacity. hits with a revolver trump misses with a semi-auto pistol.

good post JW!
Thanks Axxe! And I agree about the caliber as well, for the most part.

Always have clean socks.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5098 Times on 2650 Posts
Likes Given: 309

i pocket carry a ruger lcp. its about the same thickness as a android smartphone and thats exactly what it looks like in my pocket.

put a revolver of any type in a pocket and the outline looks like a gun in your pocket.

when you pocket carry junk gets in the gun. pocket lint is a killer. with a semi auto im assured that no matter what 1 round is going off. with a revolver you get a little lint in the cylinder jamming it up and its a paperweight.

if you carry iwb or owb its a moot point on that issue

im not a fan of the long trigger pulls on da revolvers. if i was going to carry a revolver it would never be a da. while im no fan of the lcp trigger its size is a huge mitigating factor. so when i carry something larger i just dont want to be limited by the fiddly nature of revolvers.

loading a semi auto requires gross muscular skill loading a revolver requires fine muscular skill. the first thing that goes out the window when your faced with a fight or flight situation when the adrenaline gets pumping is fine motor skills. this means if you have to manipulate the firearm its gotten exponentially more difficult trying to get the round bullets in the round holes.

semi auto is easier to use under stress.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 08-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19455 Times on 11053 Posts
Likes Given: 49056

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i pocket carry a ruger lcp. its about the same thickness as a android smartphone and thats exactly what it looks like in my pocket.

put a revolver of any type in a pocket and the outline looks like a gun in your pocket.

when you pocket carry junk gets in the gun. pocket lint is a killer. with a semi auto im assured that no matter what 1 round is going off. with a revolver you get a little lint in the cylinder jamming it up and its a paperweight.

if you carry iwb or owb its a moot point on that issue

im not a fan of the long trigger pulls on da revolvers. if i was going to carry a revolver it would never be a da. while im no fan of the lcp trigger its size is a huge mitigating factor. so when i carry something larger i just dont want to be limited by the fiddly nature of revolvers.

loading a semi auto requires gross muscular skill loading a revolver requires fine muscular skill. the first thing that goes out the window when your faced with a fight or flight situation when the adrenaline gets pumping is fine motor skills. this means if you have to manipulate the firearm its gotten exponentially more difficult trying to get the round bullets in the round holes.

semi auto is easier to use under stress.
those are some good points Jon.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #10

Liked 385 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 1352

I am very good with a revolver.
I dont carry yet since I dont have my CC yet (even tho I moved ot a free state 15 mos ago, been busy) but when I do I intend to carry in fall/winter a GP100 3 inch w/ 6 rds of 357 Mag and in spring/summer a 38 spc snubbie.

(already have both)

The spring loaded speed loaders are amazing.
My best reload times are down to 1.5 sec with them.
I admit when something goes wrong (stuck shell etc) my reload times go up to 3 sec.
(but shells stuck in cylinder never happen for me in a carry situation unless I fired a couple boxes first or unless its real dirty ammo ( which none of my carry ammo is)

In any event first rounds are decisive anyway and the avg number of rds expended in civilian self defense scenarios is 1.7 rds......, yes , less than 2.

So with 6 rounds you can solve a lot of problems.

The fact that I have a greater effective range than a equivalent semiauto ( due to my fixed barrel, no moving slide, option of using SA from round 1) is while not decisive, certainly nice gravy on top.

i'd feel very comfortable going up against the avg semi auto wielded by the avg crook.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Last edited by bluez; 08-03-2013 at 11:38 PM.