Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > The Argument against all forms OTHER than Condition One

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I couldn't open the link.....

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-22-2010, 04:29 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Spitty, I just tried it and it still works for me....

Old 02-22-2010, 04:32 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Maybe it's something on my end. Even without seeing it, I don't know why anyone would carry in any other way then condition 1.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
. Even without seeing it, I don't know why anyone would carry in any other way then condition 1.

For sakes of argument, let's add two things to the equation :

1) Kids and 2) Not having the option of a holster.

Would you still carry in condition one? And if so, how would you do it ?

****** "Shoot him again - His soul is still dancing" ******

Old 02-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB44 View Post

I don't mexican carry. if I don't have a holster, the weapon will stay at home or in the car. If you can't control the weapon you don't need to have it. That applies to the time it spends on your person as well as in action.

Why are kids even a question? If I'm carrying a weapon in a proper holster a child is not going to be able to gain access.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB44 View Post

Yes. And Yes.

First off, kids should not have immediate, unrestricted access to your self defense weapon. If they do, you are not being very responsible. Also, we are talking about CARRYING a weapon, not storing it at home. I don't have any kids, so my 1911's are stored in Condition One 100% of the time. I also have two safes, one upstairs in the bedroom and one in the garage for all the long guns, so they aren't laying in the open.

Secondly, every child needs to be properly instructed in the firearm and they need to learn it's dangers as soon as possible to prevent the "playing with the no-no toy" when mommy and daddy aren't home.

All the safeties in the world are not going to help you if the first thing your kids do when left alone is go and pull the weapon out of the closet or from under the bed and start running around the house playing Cops & Robbers.

As for "without a holster" - I routinely carry my pistol in a backpack with a pistol pouch and carry it in Condition One. It's not as fast to access as on your hip, but it's also very discrete to just slip your backpack into the booth next to you at a restaurant and not have to worry about printing when you take your coat off.

JD

Old 02-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

What kind of backpack do you have JD?

Old 02-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #18

I got one of these and I love it.

Maxpedition Monsoon Gearslinger Shoulder Sling Tactical Messenger Gear Bag - MAXPEDITION HARD-USE GEAR Tactical Nylon Gear for Military, Law Enforcement, Tactical Concealed Carry; Tailored to Perform Tactical

You can't see it in the pictures, but right where the shoulder strap attaches to the bottom of the bag, there is a big YYK inverted Zipper that houses a padded pistol pouch.

They even include a velco pistol "holster" that you can put in the pouch, in an inverted or traditional carry version to "secure" the pistol.

I find it's the perfect height, for me, to just put my 1911 in the padded pouch upside down with the grip towards the zipper, like in a small of the back inverted holster. If anything seems shifty, I can reach back, unzip the pouch and slip my hand in to the reassuring weight of my pistol without any grandiose and alarming movements.

I love this pack. Very well made and it has pouches for everything. It goes, probably, 60% of the places with me when not working because it is just so common in the PNW for people to have an over the shoulder bag. Very good concealment and the pistol is protected from grabby hands because it is isolated between the backpack and my waist.

Good stuff. Definitely recommended.

JD

Old 02-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That's a nice bag, JD. Have you tried any of their other bags? This one (Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon-II Backpack) looks great for the mini-BOB I'm putting together to hike from university to home.

EDIT: Slew of mall-ninja appeal adjectives removed from link description.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 02-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Yes. And Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

First off, kids should not have immediate, unrestricted access to your self defense weapon. If they do, you are not being very responsible. Also, we are talking about CARRYING a weapon, not storing it at home. I don't have any kids, so my 1911's are stored in Condition One 100% of the time. I also have two safes, one upstairs in the bedroom and one in the garage for all the long guns, so they aren't laying in the open.

Secondly, every child needs to be properly instructed in the firearm and they need to learn it's dangers as soon as possible to prevent the "playing with the no-no toy" when mommy and daddy aren't home.

All the safeties in the world are not going to help you if the first thing your kids do when left alone is go and pull the weapon out of the closet or from under the bed and start running around the house playing Cops & Robbers.

As for "without a holster" - I routinely carry my pistol in a backpack with a pistol pouch and carry it in Condition One. It's not as fast to access as on your hip, but it's also very discrete to just slip your backpack into the booth next to you at a restaurant and not have to worry about printing when you take your coat off.

JD
1) Well the bottom line is that you have to do some kind of compromise in the case that you have kids around you. I was interested in hearing what other folks have done in this situation, e.g. a weapon in the truck is not an option as spittinfire suggested. I got six kids of which three are living at home(+ three in living abroad). Their ages are respectively 3,13,18 years : The oldest one doesn't have a interest in weapons, but understand the seriousness of it, and knows the basics on how to handle a weapon. The 13 years old she has been shooting for the last two years, and has already entered in IPSC competitions, and is real serious about it. The youngest knows his way around guns, - knows how to eject the magazine, point shoot :-) , and understand that you can rack the slide, however he ain’t got the power yet to do so. They all know that handling a weapon is only done under my supervision, and any access to firearms is restricted by a safe to which only my wife and I has the access codes to. I carry at home as well, thus the question was to see if somebody had solved the equation better than what I have.

2) Holster…. For reason which I will not get into here, I can’t use a holster but I do carry on my hip – again a tradeoff/compromise. I like the idea of the backpack, which I will switch for my computer carrying bag, but the idea is the same. I have experimented a lot with clothes for this special condition, and all my range practice is done from the hip, without a holster. So I have done some adjustments for my condition, but I was curious if others had some similar experience and wanted to share their findings.

Just for the record, but that should be obvious if you look at my profile, I do not live in the U.S. so my conditions are somewhat different.
I have found that some of the exposure is minimized carrying in condition 2, but I would be the first to admit, that should my conditions change, I would prefer to carry in condition 1. I have contemplated to do so now that I am using a SIG P250, which has that long DAO trigger, but I am still evaluating this. For right now I am compensating this with ICPS training in order to be able to execute as fast as possible from condition 2.
I am open for any suggestions/recommendations.

****** "Shoot him again - His soul is still dancing" ******

Last edited by MB44; 02-22-2010 at 05:43 PM.